Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:32 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
My wife and I lived in upstate NY for college and have been back many times since for reunions, and we're kind of looking for someplace new this time around. Lots of great things to see and do upstate though for sure.
But where Upstate? Practically the whole state is considered Upstate.

There's Niagara Falls. The Finger Lakes which has far more than Lakes and wine. So much history here! Women's Right to Vote, It's a Wonderful Life, first film with sound, Harriet Tubman, Memorial Day, William Seward. Lots of museums and historical sights. Quaint towns. Apples and pumpkins galore right now. Numerous state parks. Waterfalls in Ithaca and Moravia.

A little further west is Letchworth - the Grand Canyon of the east and a historical museum named Genessee Country Village. It contains houses from Western NY from the 1700's up through the late 1800's. There's a number of trades are still made today - beer, pottery, gunsmith, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
But where Upstate? Practically the whole state is considered Upstate.

There's Niagara Falls. The Finger Lakes which has far more than Lakes and wine. So much history here! Women's Right to Vote, It's a Wonderful Life, first film with sound, Harriet Tubman, Memorial Day, William Seward. Lots of museums and historical sights. Quaint towns. Apples and pumpkins galore right now. Numerous state parks. Waterfalls in Ithaca and Moravia.

A little further west is Letchworth - the Grand Canyon of the east and a historical museum named Genessee Country Village. It contains houses from Western NY from the 1700's up through the late 1800's. There's a number of trades are still made today - beer, pottery, gunsmith, etc.
We've spent lots and lots of time in the Finger Lakes region; have been to Niagara 4 or 5 times; and have done a number of other day trips. Agree that upstate NY has a ton to offer. Just want to visit some place new to us for a big birthday.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
We've spent lots and lots of time in the Finger Lakes region; have been to Niagara 4 or 5 times; and have done a number of other day trips. Agree that upstate NY has a ton to offer. Just want to visit some place new to us for a big birthday.
Adirondacks? Plenty to see and do up there.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Adirondacks? Plenty to see and do up there.
SS I love your enthusiasm about upstate NY. We've been to Lake George and my wife has been to Lake Placid. Both are great and agree there is lots to do in the Adirondacks.

Just want to visit someplace new, and fair or not, we're not interested in going to upstate NY for this special occasion. We are not "check box" tourists and I don't consider us to have "done" upstate NY such that we'll never go back. But it doesn't call out to me as an exciting weekend getaway for my 40th birthday. And if we're doing a relatively long drive to the Adirondacks, I'd much rather keep driving for another couple of hours and visit Quebec City, which looks awesome.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,689 times
The Poconos region is beautiful. My husband and I did a three day trip to one of those ultra cheesy couples resorts up there, and we had a blast! The nature was amazing, I watched a bald eagle perched about 5 feet from our window, we had a boat ride on the lake, horseback riding, etc. There are plenty of little towns and quaint shopping if you leave the resort, tons of things to do at the resort.

Yes, these types of resorts are dated, and yes, ULTRA cheesy. If you want upscale, stay away. But if you want time together with a variety of activities, nightly entertainment, and a beautiful nature setting, you can't beat it.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Iceland is a short hop from NYC.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Have you done Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or Nantucket?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:25 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
I'd also put Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park on your list of places to consider.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 AM

So many great suggestions! Thanks everyone. We've been to Cape Cod but not to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, and the latter two are of interest. We've never been to Maine and Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park is very high on our list. As I said upstream, we LOVE Iceland but it's not in the cards for this particular getaway.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'd also put Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park on your list of places to consider.
Ooh Coastal Maine is GORGEOUS! From Portsmouth, NH right up the coast lots to see and do. Boat rides, lighthouses, lobsters, museums, Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth. There's GORGEOUS historic hotels. Beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel