Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times

Advertisements

prefacing this by saying I have tried to contact TSA already...

When traveling with liquid medication their policy states "reasonable quantity" but I also know medication should be kept in original bottle with label. The issue I have is that my medication, which contains a controlled substance, is in a large bottle (250mls). I don't need all of that for my trip and could pour into a smaller container but am hesitant to do so since it's controlled. But that's not really a reasonable quantity for the length of my trip either. What have y'all done in this situation? Any tips for getting through on the phone to a live tsa person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
TSA doesn't really require liquids be in the original bottle with the label, but some states have laws that require controlled substances be in the original package. (And it also simplifies screening if it's in the original package)

I would suggest contacting your doctor and requesting a one-time prescription for a smaller size bottle that is large enough for the duration of your trip. (but remember that insurance may not cover an amount in excess of what's already been filled)

Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
put it into checked luggage?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
There are some things you should never put in checked luggage ... expensive electronics, irreplaceable jewelry, your keys, and medicine top the list.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:25 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would suggest contacting your doctor and requesting a one-time prescription for a smaller size bottle that is large enough for the duration of your trip. (but remember that insurance may not cover an amount in excess of what's already been filled)
Or ask your pharmacy if they'd print the prescription label onto a smaller bottle; then you could transfer the amount you need for your trip to that smaller bottle and it would be in a container with all the relevant prescription info printed on it.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Or ask your pharmacy if they'd print the prescription label onto a smaller bottle; then you could transfer the amount you need for your trip to that smaller bottle and it would be in a container with all the relevant prescription info printed on it.

Great idea! I will ask today. I also have countlesss inhalers that get to make the trip.
Pneumonia, coughs and business trips don't play nice lol.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:28 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Seriously BAD idea.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
250ml is going to be 'reasonable quantity'. Keep it in its original bottle and separate it out into its own bin or section of bin at screening.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:22 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
prefacing this by saying I have tried to contact TSA already...

When traveling with liquid medication their policy states "reasonable quantity" but I also know medication should be kept in original bottle with label. The issue I have is that my medication, which contains a controlled substance, is in a large bottle (250mls). I don't need all of that for my trip and could pour into a smaller container but am hesitant to do so since it's controlled. But that's not really a reasonable quantity for the length of my trip either. What have y'all done in this situation? Any tips for getting through on the phone to a live tsa person?
Ask your pharmacist if they could give you an empty smaller bottle with your prescription on it to use for traveling. Otherwise, you can bring it as is with the prescription label on it. Shouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
250ml is going to be 'reasonable quantity'. Keep it in its original bottle and separate it out into its own bin or section of bin at screening.
I think the OP's point is that it is larger than she wants to carry. I assume she's trying to travel light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel