Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Economics 101: Supply and Demand.

In the case of a airline tickets, the supply changes every minute. Demand is more static - which is why airlines infrequently add or delete a route.

The airport fees make a difference as well. But not as much as supply and demand.

LOL. This free market and supply demand are way overrated.

If you want to book for Xmas during the spring, its still priced higher. Unless they are adding 10 or more flights to meet the demand.

When people need it they raise the price, when they don't need it, they are still now lowest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,989 times
It is indeed a strange world, ticket pricing.
I fly 6 times a year to Amsterdam from Louisville. Live on a budget, so look for deals.
I have driven to Toronto, but the parking and two hotel nights make it not cheaper. I always go for 5 weeks, so parking gets expensive. Even not using the airport parking but using a motel or private parking.
Using Louisville, my neighbor bring and pick me up for 40 bucks.

As for tickets, beware of many third party sites like cheapoair.... I use expedia, never a problem. But I book first the oversee flight, mostly from Boston or Newark, prices are around 300 up to 380 dollar. Than I finf a flight from Louisville to the airport where the trans Atlantic leaves. As long as there are nu delays....

Last November though I found a ticket from Louisville to Amsterdam for 508 dollar, round trip. Bought it immediately . This time I fly with WOW air. Not a bad airline.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Some garduates of Stanford's operations research program developed sophisicated software for ticket pricing, minute by minute, based on supply of and demand for seats, using his historical data that was continually updated to reflect the effect of current demand trends on past averages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In the case of a airline tickets, the supply changes every minute. Demand is more static - which is why airlines infrequently add or delete a route.

The airport fees make a difference as well. But not as much as supply and demand.
I believe this is what is referred to as "Dynamic Pricing", and it does tend to drive one crazy when trying to plan and budget travel. Prices can literally change by the minute in some instances, combine this with trying to transfer or redeem credit card points/ frequent flyer miles, etc. that may only be good applied to full fare and/or peak pricing (no combining discounts...) and it becomes quite the chess game.

Imagine a department store employing real time dynamic pricing wherein the price of an item may change from the time you take it off the shelf and put it in your cart to the time you reach the checkout...

For further reading, below is the link to the Wikipedia page explaining Dynamic Pricing...

Dynamic Pricing

Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post

If you want to book for Xmas during the spring, its still priced higher. Unless they are adding 10 or more flights to meet the demand.

When people need it they raise the price, when they don't need it, they are still now lowest.
Of course it is. Because the airlines know in advance that the DEMAND will be high.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
It is not possible to understand airline pricing.
/thread.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 AM

554 posts, read 1,068,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
I fly 6 times a year to Amsterdam from Louisville. Live on a budget, so look for deals. I have driven to Toronto, but the parking and two hotel nights make it not cheaper.

But I book first the oversee flight, mostly from Boston or Newark, prices are around 300 up to 380 dollar. Than I find a flight from Louisville to the airport where the trans Atlantic leaves. As long as there are no delays....

Yes, my wife goes back home to Panama annually on vacation. Most times I end up getting a ticket on Spirit either from Dallas or Houston, and just drive her to one of those airports, even though they are several hours away. I save several hundred dollars on the airfare since it is so expensive to fly from San Antonio.

While I could make separate reservations (one for the flight from wherever to Panama, and one from San Antonio to the departure point to Panama), she always travels "heavy" with many bags. So any savings I could achieve with a "split" reservation are eaten up with double baggage fees. I have however bought her a one way ticket back to San Antonio from the airport she returns to (e.g. Houston to San Antonio). The danger in that however is if the Spirit return flight is delayed, and she misses the flight to San Antonio, we are just SOL. That happened to us once when her Spirit flight from Panama to Fort Lauderdale was delayed causing her to miss her Spirit flight from Fort Lauderdale to Dallas. So now when I purchase the one way return flight I allow her at least a 4 hour layover between the Spirit flight arrival, and the departure of the return flight to San Antonio. Sometimes even that would not be enough time though.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post

What you are describing, especially the last sentence, is supply and demand. Fly in February or October and you will find much cheaper tickets than flying over a holiday.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
I am flying to San Jose, Costa Rica in May, LAX-PTY-SJO-PTY-LAX (with a 1hr 15 min layover in PTY) was half the price of the exact same date/time/flight# of LAX-PTY-LAX, go figure.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,508,782 times
To me, the worst is finding a good fare that won't book. Others have said it's due to cached fares that are out of date, but I doubt that, especially since I've found this on airline websites themselves. I think it's bait and switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel