Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:35 AM

1,686 posts, read 3,962,121 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to San Francisco to visit family in a couple of months and realized I haven't flown in 10 years!!! I know things have drastically changed. I usually set up my medicine and vitamins in one of those daily dose storage boxes. I remember hearing you have to carry the bottle with prescription on it. True? does it have to fit in the same quart size baggie with toiletries? does makeup have to fit in there too. Oh this may stress me out....

Can someone who flies regularly give me some assistance?

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
I'm a frequent flyer (at least once a month) and I fly with my prescriptions in those daily dose boxes with no problems (granted, I go through PreCheck, but I never had problems even before I went through precheck.

The only times I would be concerned is with liquids. If your medication is liquid, it can exceed the 3.4 oz restriction and not go in the quart size bag, but it needs to be in the original prescription bottle.

Liquid makeup goes in your quart size bag. So liquid foundation, liquid concealer, and any skincare lotions/potions, etc.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,186,274 times
You should be fine, if you are traveling domestically.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,013,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am planning a trip to San Francisco to visit family in a couple of months and realized I haven't flown in 10 years!!! I know things have drastically changed. I usually set up my medicine and vitamins in one of those daily dose storage boxes. I remember hearing you have to carry the bottle with prescription on it. True? does it have to fit in the same quart size baggie with toiletries? does makeup have to fit in there too. Oh this may stress me out....

Can someone who flies regularly give me some assistance?

TIA!!
According to the TSA website, you can bring your medications and vitamins in the daily dose storage box. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-ti...tions-answered However, I usually take the whole prescription bottles with me as a practical matter, in case I get delayed coming home.

The only things that need to go in the quart size baggie are liquids and gels, and those need to be less than 3.4 ounces. This includes any kinds of liquids or gels that you're carrying on the plane -- makeup, hand sanitizer, hair products, lip balm, whatever. It does not include anything in solid or powder form.

If you want to bring liquids or gels with you that are larger than 3.4 ounces, you'll need to put them in your checked luggage. This doesn't apply to liquid prescription medications -- see the TSA website for information about that. Never put your medications in checked luggage; always carry them on with you.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:37 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,222,812 times
My own personal experience is that, arriving in 30 countries in the past five years, nobody has paid a bit of attention. When I came to the Philippines, I transferred a year's supply of my medications and vitamins and OTCs into more convenient size containers, about ten miscellaneous bottles, and a handwritten note to remind me what each pill looked like. Nobody said a word.

However, if you're concerned (as well you should be), ask your doctor for a printout of all your meds, including any recommended OTCs. As long as you're carrying a legal Rx, they don't have to be in the original bottles.

Even within the USA, for what it's worth, Texas police have told me the daily planner containers technically aren't even legal for a trip in your car to WalMart.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:51 AM

2,610 posts, read 2,201,909 times
I've heard it's suggested to ask your pharmacist for smaller travel sized bottles with the prescription label on it is your regular bottles are to big for traveling. But maybe the print out idea is better, easier and sufficient.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:47 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,722,716 times
I bring my Xanax with me all the time, no question asked.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times
My husband simply puts his meds in his pill box, one of those weekday separated boxes. He has never had a problem and flys a few times a year.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My own personal experience is that, arriving in 30 countries in the past five years, nobody has paid a bit of attention. When I came to the Philippines, I transferred a year's supply of my medications and vitamins and OTCs into more convenient size containers, about ten miscellaneous bottles, and a handwritten note to remind me what each pill looked like. Nobody said a word.

However, if you're concerned (as well you should be), ask your doctor for a printout of all your meds, including any recommended OTCs. As long as you're carrying a legal Rx, they don't have to be in the original bottles.

Even within the USA, for what it's worth, Texas police have told me the daily planner containers technically aren't even legal for a trip in your car to WalMart.
Really? I'll have my husband read up. Here are a few links.

TSA Carry-on Rules for Prescription Drugs | USA Today

https://www.cheapflights.com/news/tr...ith-medication

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/09/24/...ing-medication

Old 02-17-2018, 06:51 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,222,812 times
Those are the rules, which they can enforce if they take a notion to. I put my 4-oz containers of toothpaste in the ziploc bag like they told me, and nobody ever paid any attention to it, so I quit bagging the things and they still paid no attention.

They don't have time to scruplously inspect every tube of cream, so it pretty much comes down to either suspicion or spot-check.

Transporting or possession of Rx drugs is a USA federal law, whether you're on a common carrier or not. It has nothing to do with TSA, which is concerned only with potential weapons or explosives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel