Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:12 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Yes, I always wonder about this. Do people who feel this way actively watch solo diners and think how odd/unloved/friendless they must be? Like, is this actually a thing?
I seriously doubt it. I think I scan the room once, and then I continue with enjoying myself. The people you reference in your post are just insecure, so they think everyone is judging them.

Now, people-watching is a thing, certainly. But, I’ve never seen it in any obvious way. Also, solo diners have got to be *the* most boring people to watch. If I’m people-watching, I prefer to watch people engaged with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 09:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
No one pays more than a fleeting second of attention to strangers sitting in restaurants. No one (solo or otherwise) should feel uncomfortable...
Agreed 100%, no one should feel uncomfortable dining alone. My post was addressing the reason the diners themselves feel uncomfortable, not whether it's right/wrong. It's not the norm, so most people feel awkward. Is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I travel internationally every few months, and 95% of my travel is solo. When I enter a restaurant solo, I pick the seat I want. If I’m denied my seat preference, I leave. I left a restaurant in Amsterdam for this very reason. My money spends just like a full table.
Your neat story about yourself does not cure people from feeling awkward when dining alone.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I enjoy solo travel. There are certain experiences that are better solo. On road trips I do as I please and follow a whim if I want. I'm a photographer and writer and always looking for inspiration and often can't do that on someone else's schedule. I recommend solo train travel on Amtrak because people tend to open up more to a solo person. Don't be shy -- you will meet some very interesting people.

Eating solo in restaurants is a little awkward sometimes but it depends on the place. I like going to good restaurants but I've had people approach me for an autograph thinking I'm an actor or celebrity and argue with me when I say I'm not who they think. I admit that I occasionally sit in a conspicuous place and people-watch. In some places it is OK to pull out a smartphone and check email or even play games. In a pub or bar, I find it is more comfortable sitting at the bar and often more social than at a table. People will chat because it is a common space more than a table.

I probably would not do a B&B or similar on my own but I go to historic old hotels or inns on my own -- a commercial place rather than a home. I once had a travelling job so motels are not a problem solo.

My daughter inherited my solo travel inclination. She did a semester in Italy solo in college and is cautious but not intimidated by it. She travelled 1500 miles to NYC alone for the first time for a job interview. Later she did the Camino Santiago and then Bilbao in Spain solo and later a solo week in Quebec and can't speak French. We travel together fairly often when schedules allow enjoy going solo.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We travel together fairly often when schedules allow enjoy going solo.
That sound awesome.

My parents are structured tour or cruise types, which my wife and I can't stand. We tend to wing it, which they can't stand. As a result, traveling with the folks has been minimal, and now they are getting up in years where it's tapering off for them.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That sound awesome.

My parents are structured tour or cruise types, which my wife and I can't stand. We tend to wing it, which they can't stand. As a result, traveling with the folks has been minimal, and now they are getting up in years where it's tapering off for them.
There are travel agents that will custom build a solo trip for you and just make hotel arrangements and transfers a lot easier and be sure you are OK and getting where you need to go. You need to stay on schedule but if you plan it right it works well.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:57 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Agreed 100%, no one should feel uncomfortable dining alone. My post was addressing the reason the diners themselves feel uncomfortable, not whether it's right/wrong. It's not the norm, so most people feel awkward. Is what it is.

Your neat story about yourself does not cure people from feeling awkward when dining alone.
Curing them wasn’t my goal. Hopefully it helped, at least.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

The only "cure" is to do it! After a while there will be no awkwardness.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 PM

483 posts, read 409,701 times
I love solo travel! I just returned from a trip to Portugal and last year Italy! I'm looking forward to solo trip number 3!!!! My goal is every year to go somewhere I've never been!! I'm trying to live my best life now!

Old 07-02-2018, 03:31 AM

62 posts, read 48,981 times
Solo Travelling is the best thing if you are a traveller. In solo travel, you can take your own decision to go anywhere anytime. I love solo travelling and enjoyed a lot.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:27 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaul883 View Post
Solo Travelling is the best thing if you are a traveller. In solo travel, you can take your own decision to go anywhere anytime. I love solo travelling and enjoyed a lot.
I love solo travel.. I just returned from 10+ days in Budapest, Gdansk, and Amsterdam (with an unfortunate overnight in Frankfurt). Being on your own schedule is great.

The one problem I have with solo travel is that I am easily swayed into sleeping in. I live on the West Coast, so, my Jet Lag is usually horrible and then I get into a bad habit of staying out late and then sleeping in too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel