Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 01:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Decades ago, the drive down the east coast to florida was pretty easy and mellow once you passed DC.
Five decades ago the world's population was 3 billion and the population of the U.S. was 180 million.

Today the world is at 7.6 billion and the U.S. is at 325 million.

Trump supporters who think they can return the U.S. to their "good old glory days" are going to go to their graves disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:51 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
train. I absolutely hate flying for many reasons, so if i'm not crossing an ocean, then i'm either driving or taking the train.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
train. I absolutely hate flying for many reasons, so if i'm not crossing an ocean, then i'm either driving or taking the train.
In USA... the TRAIN is definitely a 'tipping' point (often LATE... VERY LATE!!!, sometimes DAYS late)

Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In USA... the TRAIN is definitely a 'tipping' point (often LATE... VERY LATE!!!, sometimes DAYS late)
Yes, on our coast - but not in a lot of places east of the Mississippi.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 06-20-2018, 04:49 PM

356 posts, read 281,797 times
I frequently fly between Phoenix and Denver and my tipping point for my last trip was almost $280 for a ticket. I drove. With gas and a motel each way I still saved money. And I didn't have to rent a car.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:24 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
I must be living right.

Driving: I've driven across the country several times just for the drive, with no particular place to go. And lots of trips I needed to go. It's lovely and relaxing.

Flying: I've flown about 40 sections in the past five years, and had absolutely no attacks of anxiety. I get to the airport on time, do what I'm told. They call me Sir take me to where I want to go.

What's all the drama?

Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
I would absolutely drive everywhere if it weren't for the silly limitations of vacation days lol. Aside from the occasional idiot hogging the passing lane, I find driving to be an absolute pleasure. I love the sights along the way and just having a stronger sense of accomplishment upon getting there. I know...I'm weird . Major traffic delays are usually avoidable using an alternate route, made even easier with Waze and Google Maps. We take lots of weekend road trips, and I'd say the tipping point would be a max of about 7-8 hours each way.

Now, the aspect of flying by itself is awesome - the technology and just the aspect of flight in general is fascinating. The problem comes in with all the BS surrounding it: the TSA circus, delays (sometimes for huge amounts of time), ticket prices (we can't just pick a cheap flight in the middle of the week), the "hurry up and wait" aspect of getting to your flight on time, crappy seats, hit-or-miss customer service from domestic airlines, etc. Plus, flights out of our local airport (GSO) are limited and usually expensive, so we typically already have driving time of 1.5 hours to RDU or 1.5-2 hours to CLT factoring into the comparison.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:53 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Really? I don't think i've ever had it be more then 30 minutes late. I must be very lucky

Old 06-23-2018, 02:14 PM

369 posts, read 325,547 times
I had enough of wasting my life traveling by plane for work and that was before the dehumanized homeland security procedures and extra fees and no leg room, lost or late luggage etc. Just drove cross country again. Had a wonderful trip. Stopped and explored when and where I wanted. Can't stand being herded like cattle.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Really? I don't think i've ever had it be more then 30 minutes late. I must be very lucky
Most of the trains that I have met in Chicago have been 2+ hours late coming from Cincinnati. That is more usual once you get out of the Northeast corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel