Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 11:57 PM

3,076 posts, read 1,684,531 times

Advertisements

We almost always travel to the next state (Calif) by car anymore. It depends on where we're going but we usually like to have our car if we think we'll come back with more than we left with, as we do buy stuff in certain places. We also take a lot of stuff if it's a trip that involves several things. For example, last year we went to the coast, so I packed beachy stuff. After that we went to a Renaissance Faire, so we took our costumes (can't really pack those). Plus, I went rock-hounding.

Our tipping point is 1,000 miles. But on trips down to just visit family, I fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 10:48 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
We drive 13 hours to Fl each summer. Longest drive was 23 hours to South Dakota. We don't stop (except to potty/eat) for FL. We did crash in a motel for South Dakota, but it was a very spontaneous road trip. 23 hours was awful, I'll never drive that far again unless I have to.

It's just always been cheaper to drive and split gas so far. My friends and I are all young and on budgets, so we save where we can. I do hate sitting in a car, but airports and airplanes majorly stress me out. I wish I'd get over it because flying takes less time. If I could get over that issue, I think I'd fly on anything over 8-10 hours as long as flight prices were good.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:24 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Really? I don't think i've ever had it be more then 30 minutes late. I must be very lucky
You got lucky. I've taken the train across country a number of times, and it's always been late. Sometimes only an hour at each end, but always late. I transfer in Chicago, and always looked forward to just walking around there. Never got the chance, because we were always late.

The worst was when we were 14 hours late, from New York to California. Blown engine west of Denver put us behind, then it snowballed, since Amtrak has to give right of way to freight. We would sit at various places, to let the train go past.

Then the conductor hit his hours limit, so we waited in the middle of Utah waiting for the replacement crew.

I had nowhere I needed to be, so it was just a lot of fun. They opened the dining room and just starting feeding everyone. But lots of people missed flights, events and work.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:52 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
We almost always travel to the next state (Calif) by car anymore.
When I go from California to Oregon anymore, I look at flying. Making that drive is just too long. From the South Bay to Eugene is about nine hours. Nine hours where I'm behind the wheel and I can't do anything else except concentrate on driving.

My house to SJC is 8 minutes. In SJC about 30 minutes to get through security. Then I'm waiting during which I can read and work. Then the plane to the regional airport in Eugene only takes an hour, during which I can also read or work or watch movies or rest. And that's it, I'm at my destination.

I'm not saying I'll never drive to Oregon again. Of course I will, it's a beautiful drive. But it requires time.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Cost wise, I will fly if driving costs ore than 300% more. Sometimes I will fly at 200% more. It is unusual for that to happen if you include renting a car. Often driving is the only practical financial option. If 4 or 6 people are going then flying is simply too expensive.

Time wise, it depends. For personal travel, I usually prefer to drive period. More than 20 hours becomes impractical though. Maybe with a lot of drivers 24 hours is manageable sometimes (usually not). 48 hours - just cannot do it. It is usually too problematic to take more than a week off at a time.

I hate flying. It is the most unpleasant, uncomfortable, and painful thing I can think of. If it were not for time issues, I would crawl to my destination if I had to before flying.

Funny, not too many years ago, I loved flying. However flying has changed a lot and I have changed some and it is no longer pleasant. Plus I think I may have gotten my fill of it.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In USA... the TRAIN is definitely a 'tipping' point (often LATE... VERY LATE!!!, sometimes DAYS late)
Trains that I've been on are on time or within 30 minutes with one exception. I travel cross country and we often get into the destination a few minutes early. Trains are seldom early because they have set departure times and, sadly, freight trains take priority. The 4-hour delayed train was stopped due to a passenger issue that required the police and medical attention.

The passenger rail system in the US is designed to fail. Amtrak doesn't own its own rails and is constantly at the mercy of freight rail companies. The Southwest Chief, running between LA and Chicago is in jeopardy right now. Amtrak wants to abandon the line from Dodge City to Albuquerque and replace it with buses so presumably one would take the train from LA to Albuquerque then ride a bus to Dodge City and board another train to Chicago. The problem is maintenance on the line through Raton Pass and BNSF doesn't want to maintain the line that it owns but is only used by passenger rail service, not freight. It's not a question of low ridership as that route is often very busy.

If we wanted to design a passenger rail system to fail we couldn't have done a better job.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You got lucky. I've taken the train across country a number of times, and it's always been late. Sometimes only an hour at each end, but always late. I transfer in Chicago, and always looked forward to just walking around there. Never got the chance, because we were always late.

The worst was when we were 14 hours late, from New York to California. Blown engine west of Denver put us behind, then it snowballed, since Amtrak has to give right of way to freight. We would sit at various places, to let the train go past.

Then the conductor hit his hours limit, so we waited in the middle of Utah waiting for the replacement crew.

I had nowhere I needed to be, so it was just a lot of fun. They opened the dining room and just starting feeding everyone. But lots of people missed flights, events and work.

Whenever Amtrak is discussed, those who live on the East Coast start to talk about how great it is. And if you live in New England and certain parts of the Mid-Atlantic, it probably is.

In the Midwest, it is never on time. And unlike the airlines, there is noone at an Amtrak station (even the Chicago Union Station) who can even tell you how long the delay might be. My sister used to use Amtrak a lot. After hours of delays, I told her to call me when she arrived as it was a PITA to spend hours waiting for an arrival.

We always hear about how Amtrak is delayed by freight traffic. I have many friends with Union Pacific who owns much of the rail. They talk about granting the lack of communications that they get from Amtrak personnel that actually delay the freight trains.

For me, Amtrak has never been much of an option. Personally, the two trips out of Chicago that I considered would have gotten me into Cincinnati or Omaha around 3 am. Also, I could never find out from Amtrak personnel where the station in Cincinnati was located. In both cases, I could take a one block walk out of the Chicago Union Terminal and catch a MegaBus for about $10-15 OW and get there quicker.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
That is a hard choice for me. Mostly, since I am mostly about the Journey, less about the destination, then I would prefer to drive, if time permits. When my kids were a little younger, we always enjoyed a road trip, but sometimes would fly to a destination and rent a car then drive on for a few more days..... We once flew to new England, rented a car and then traversed New England and Quebec at will.

I think driving is more fun, I like the freedom of stopping and exploring along the way. And on a driving trip, there is not a "destination" in the sense of point B or "Now turn around and head back" More likely, I would schedule a loop of sorts, seeing different places on the way out and the way back.
So whenever possible I would prefer to drive.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
12 hours is nothing to me. That's only two hours less than the drive before the Twin Cities and Denton, TX. A drive I am very familiar with and will do for the 3rd time next month. To me it's not about the distance and time to and fro but more about the time I have available in general. If I only have 5 days or less from work and the destination is 20+ hours away then I would rather fly. With no or very little of a time restraint I prefer to drive.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:54 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The journey is important but if I'm the one who has to be behind the wheel the whole time, it's not enjoyable.
I am the opposite. I love doing the driving. The proper way to drive is on a highway not in bumper to bumper urban traffic. Gimme a Kansas sunset or a leafy Mississippi forest over some boring city commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel