Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 12:59 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times

Advertisements

We stayed in a dive ,off the highway, near the border of north and south Carolina. The motel had the most creepeast guests, who turned out to be live on property employees. We only stopped for a 4 hour power nap, while on the road. we would not dare pull back the sheets, nor get undressed. I dared take a cold shower, i had to let the water run a few minutes to get clean water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 01:36 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
... In Seattle.
Of course

Old 07-27-2018, 11:33 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Primm, Nevada. Not Whiskey Pete's but the other one (not Buffalo Bill either). They were repairing the tile in the room above us. Drills, hammers....sheesh. We had to get moved.

That place also drained the hot tub while we were in it, LOL.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,944 times
I stayed a night at a La Quinta Inn (since closed, now under another name) north of JFK Airport. About an hour after going to sleep I woke, soaked in perspiration, and I then discovered that between the bottom sheet and the mattress was a fitted plastic sheet, presumably to try to prevent the mattress becoming infested with bedbugs. Nice idea, but impossible to sleep on as my body heat was trapped, and the plastic was getting warmer the longer I lay on it. I realised that there was no point speaking to reception about it, as every bed in the hotel would have a plastic undersheet, so I cheated and untucked the plastic sheet on one side of the bed, pushed it across, and tried to get some sleep on the un-plasticked side of the bed. Not a good night's sleep as bedbugs were playing on my mind.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:34 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
A hotel near UT Austin, I think it's on UT Austin campus? Not sure.

The hotels looked and felt perfect unless the sewage truck came at approximately 2 am and left at 3 am. I thought the torture was gone. But the sewage truck came back at 4 am...sleepless night.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:17 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
London in a heat wave. No air conditioning. The Brits apparently don't know what a "fan" is either, because none were available for purchase.

Oh, I had the same experience in London quite a few years ago, in a youth hostel. Couldn’t open the windows, they were either painted or nailed shut, or too old to open. I also had my first (and only) experience with bedbugs there. And a broken lightbulb in the unisex WC down the hall, so fumbling around in the dark. Otherwise, London was great.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
London in a heat wave. No air conditioning. The Brits apparently don't know what a "fan" is either, because none were available for purchase.
Best thing to do is to search one of the websites such as Expedia for hotels in London and to tick the amenties box labelled air conditioning. That will bring you up a list of hotels that have air conditioning.

Most public indoor spaces such as shopping malls have air cooling systems, as does most of the transport network.

The only exception being the deep line tube stations and trains, which are due to replace their current stock with new trains with air conditioning from 2023.

The rest of the transport system and subsufrace 'S' class tube trains have air conditioning.

Britain generally has mild winters and cool summers, so air conditioning is rarely needed.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:45 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
As teenagers bumming our way around Europe, my sister and I got into Amsterdam at dusk in a blinding rain. We ran through the streets and checked into the first hotel we could find.

All very well and good, but it turned out to be a "red light" hotel. All night long, people were clomping up and down the stairs and trying doors.

As the door lock wasn't all that strong, we pushed the bed and the dresser against the door and tried to sleep. At first light, we headed out to find another hotel. In daylight, it was easy to see what kind of neighborhood we were in.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
London isn't great when it is freezing cold, either.

As a very young woman staying in cheap rooms across Europe, I arrived in London in November without so much as a coat. The cheap room in the cheap hotel where I stayed had only a small floor heater that required constant feeding with coins.

After I finally got the room to warm up a bit to fall asleep, I kept awakening as soon as the temperature dropped again to uncomfortable levels.

Fortunately, I didn't stay there long. It's miserable trying to sleep when it's freezing inside.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:17 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
London isn't great when it is freezing cold, either.

As a very young woman staying in cheap rooms across Europe, I arrived in London in November without so much as a coat. The cheap room in the cheap hotel where I stayed had only a small floor heater that required constant feeding with coins.

After I finally got the room to warm up a bit to fall asleep, I kept awakening as soon as the temperature dropped again to uncomfortable levels.

Fortunately, I didn't stay there long. It's miserable trying to sleep when it's freezing inside.
LOL - London has some cheap hotels like every city but a coin fed meter.

Why didn't you just stay in a Premier Inn or Travelodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel