Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'm a bad sleeper and an insomniac. Sometimes, something as minor as the humidity in a motel room will keep me awake even if I have the whole room to myself. Other times, there is no reason.

And that doesn't even count crappy beds, noisy environs and non-stop snore a thon that is my girlfriend.

It sucks really bad. I usually take a sleeping pill and sometimes I get as little as 2 hours of actual sleep. But I tough it out. It's getting harder as I get older.
Magnesium helps.

You should try to get it at least to 4 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 03:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I think we all worry about bed bugs to some extent. That top bedspread must go too. Who knows what’s on it. Best to wipe the room down before bringing in the luggage and checking under the mattress for bed bugs while your at it. I couldn’t sleep otherwise.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Waldorf Key West.
Paper thin walls - had to listen to couple next door having sex. Geezus.
It cold have been worse, them arguing all night!

Old 02-18-2019, 04:37 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I think we all worry about bed bugs to some extent. That top bedspread must go too. Who knows what’s on it. Best to wipe the room down before bringing in the luggage and checking under the mattress for bed bugs while your at it. I couldn’t sleep otherwise.
They have a portable bed bug detector. It's a closed bait system you put in between the mattresses on the corners. I'll try to find the name.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
A few …

Hotel Del Coronado. Was put up in a room in the old hotel building that was over the roof vents of the kitchen area. The kitchen crew worked until well past midnight, so the rattling of crockery and pots/pan washing along with their singing loudly was more than a minor disturbance. But what took the cake was the strong stench in the room, not abated by having the windows open. The next AM, walking down the hall I saw a line drawing print of the old hotel area. The "room" I was in was the original men's bathroom for that floor level, and that bedroom was were the urinals were located. They apparently couldn't get the smell out of the woodwork in all those years since converting to ensuite bathrooms. They moved me to another room the next night, away from the kitchen overlook. But it was near one of the convention rooms and their festivities lasted until around 2 AM … with a live band playing loud music until midnight.
Reminds me of a hotel in Ensenada Mexico. We had their best suite, lots of windows and sliding glass doors (door-walls) the opened right out the beach. 2 separate bedrooms, and two fold out couches in the living room. A separate kitchen area too. It smelled funny, but that is Mexico. Plus you can open all those wonderful windows and doors and let the beach air in.

My friend insisted he had to have one of the beds because he needed a bedside table to put his contact lens cleaning machine on next to the bed. It was a lame excuse, but OK. When we went to bed, after spending some time at the beach and in the bar upstairs, he opened the drawer of the table to put his wallet in it. There was a used condom in the drawer - yup that bed is all yours buddy.

The bar was right upstairs. Specifically the dance floor of the bar. Until about 3 AM we were blasted by loud music and the sounds of a peg-legged pirate dancing vigorously on the dance floor. Click boom, click boom all night long.

The people in the living-room had to close the windows because it got too cold. But then it started to stink, especially near the kitchen.

Pegleg finally tired out and the dance music faded away and we found that if we opened only a couple of windows and turned the heat all the way up we could stay sort of warm and still breathe without gagging.

In the morning we discovered where all those dangerous and loud three wheel ATVs went when they were outlawed in the USA because they were too dangerous - - yup they went to the beach in Ensenda, right outside our open windows. Of course each one had to be started and revved for a while before it could be rented out. Yes, they opened at 8 a.m., so the warm up started just after 7:30.

They also offered nearly dead horses that you could ride on the beach. Amazingly, even nearly dead horses still make a lot of noise and a lot of smells.

The nice thing is that after only about 3 hours of sleep and a nasty hangover, you can still ride on a nearly dead horse without falling off since they barely move. (Forget the ATV - too expensive and too dangerous anyway).

Old 02-18-2019, 06:23 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
At the Airport Hilton in LA in a suite on the top floor watching the fire slowly marching trough Laguna

My rational brain say, no worry, 16 lanes of freeway, larhe parking lots on both sides, don't worry

The irrational side of my brain says " then what the hell are those embers flying by my window?"

Smoke so bad that they had to shut down the smoke detectors nd put employees on roof with hoses.

Finally gave up and joined everyone in the hotel at the bar.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,040,369 times
At a hotel in Bournemouth in July 2014. It was so hot inside and there were loud teenagers outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel