Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Simple - tip, but don't overtip. How is that a job creation issue?
He didn't say it was a job creation "issue," just that it was job creation, period.

Personally, all hyperbole from the original post aside, I'll go ahead and spend my money however I feel like it, thanks. I happen to enjoy knowing that I can make a big difference in developing nations just by tipping much like I'd do at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:05 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
He didn't say it was a job creation "issue," just that it was job creation, period.

Personally, all hyperbole from the original post aside, I'll go ahead and spend my money however I feel like it, thanks. I happen to enjoy knowing that I can make a big difference in developing nations just by tipping much like I'd do at home.
First sentence - that's just plain silly - removing or adding "issue" doesn't make my statement incorrect or change the meaning.

But anyways, once again, when you tip to much you are changing the economic balance of things in these developing (3rd world) countries. You might think you are helping, but you are hurting their economy. Yes you are making a big difference - for the worst. Also in some countries (Japan for instance) it's considered insulting to tip.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/map-h...b_6139756.html

Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM

747 posts, read 839,672 times
Don't roll your bag down the airplane aisle and take off your backpack so you don't smack someone with it when you turn. Also, if on a moving walkway or escalator in the airport, stay to the side so others in a hurry can pass you.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Refrain from telling the locals "back home we do it.....".

Generally, yes. But the exception is when "the way we do it back home" is clearly not as good as the way they do it at your vacation destination. The locals will be pleased to find a visitor praising the way they do something.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
First sentence - that's just plain silly - removing or adding "issue" doesn't make my statement incorrect or change the meaning.

But anyways, once again, when you tip to much you are changing the economic balance of things in these developing (3rd world) countries. You might think you are helping, but you are hurting their economy. Yes you are making a big difference - for the worst. Also in some countries (Japan for instance) it's considered insulting to tip.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/map-h...b_6139756.html
What you posted has nothing to do with tipping, which is a voluntary activity. Frankly, I think the "financial journalist's" analysis is overtly simple anyway. Anywhere where such high amounts of so-called excessive tipping would be occurring would already be a tourist destination anyway. Hence, prices would already be inflated relative to the rest of the country/region.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
What you posted has nothing to do with tipping, which is a voluntary activity. Frankly, I think the "financial journalist's" analysis is overtly simple anyway. Anywhere where such high amounts of so-called excessive tipping would be occurring would already be a tourist destination anyway. Hence, prices would already be inflated relative to the rest of the country/region.
Huh? My post was about over-tipping. How does that not have to do with tipping and what does voluntary have anything to do with it?
Anyways here is another article, this time addressing not the economic, but cultural aspect of it:
A tip on over-tipping: Don't - latimes

Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
When getting out of the plane the process is simple. Grab your **** and go.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
When getting out of the plane the process is simple. Grab your **** and go.
Amen.. I never understand what takes so long!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Huh? My post was about over-tipping. How does that not have to do with tipping and what does voluntary have anything to do with it?
Anyways here is another article, this time addressing not the economic, but cultural aspect of it:
A tip on over-tipping: Don't - latimes
The Huffington Post article you initially linked really had nothing to do with tipping, even though the blogger included it in the title. The one provided example had to do with over-paying for items and services. However, it isn't really a great argument as it's presented do to the fact that had the writer not had a local guide with her she would have ended up paying the inflated amount for the service. The writer wouldn't have know that she overpaid, so there's nothing she could have done about it anyway. Plus her financial journalist friend argued that overpaying drives up the prices for everyone. However, as the writer's guide told her, the cobbler was only trying to charge an inflated price because he knew she was a foreigner. He wouldn't be trying to raise the price on the locals.

The voluntary aspect has a lot to do with your second link. (Mind you, both of the links are opinion pieces, not actual financial/economic studies of whether over-tipping results in some artificial skewing of the local economies). Yes, one should avail themselves of the local customs, and, as a result, I don't tip in Japan because I wouldn't want to intentionally insult someone. However, it's not really seen as an insult through much of the rest of the world, even if the locals see it as "silly" because it's not typical in their culture. Outside of that the LA Times opinion piece makes two arguments:

1) Over-tipping brands one as an American. (I don't really care about this. All one has to do is look at me and maybe spend two seconds talking to me to know this is true.)

2) American's tipping patterns are going to get spread to the rest of the world. (Mostly, this argument is just a screed against tipping in general. I don't particularly see any real threat of over-tipping becoming a common practice among locals in places where it is not culturally common. Even if were to do so, though, I don't agree with the screed against tipping in general. I happen to like the custom and would not be upset if it became more customary in many places around the world.)

Again, the idea that over-tipping and overpaying is going to drive up prices for locals is just silly. Places where there would be vast amount of Americans doing this enough to make a difference are already tourist destinations, and local prices are set accordingly. I've never seen much difference in prices of goods between where I live in the US and the Riviera Maya in Mexico, for example. However, I did pay much less for things in rural areas of many countries.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:27 PM

792 posts, read 496,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Everyone makes it on the airplane. Crowding around like gate lice is annoying for everyone. Queue up, and wait your turn.
YES. I have this "argument" with my wife all the time. When they say "Now boarding X", she wants to jump up and get in line. We never have much luggage so it's not for overhead bin or anything, it's just that it's "time". I would rather just sit there while the herd gets on the plan and then just be of of the last ones to sit down.

A) You end up having to wait at the end (or the middle) of the jet way for the cows to get their crap stowed and to get seated.

B) We're going to be on the freaking ground another 30 minutes at least on each end, why rush to get on the plane.

C) Lists need 3 things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel