Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 04:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - What if you bought a timeshare and could never use it?

A new lawsuit has claimed a Gatlinburg resort is selling dream vacations in the Smokies, but when you go to book that vacation, there are never any rooms available. And, it turns out, that's not the only surprise some consumers are getting.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ne...book-vacations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Why anyone would buy one of these anywhere, escapes me.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Never understood the interest in timeshares.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Just like any other purchase, you have to actually research what you're purchasing, who you're purchasing it from and the structure of the association as part of your due diligence.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
we know people who offered their time shares back to the company they bought them from for free and they would not take them back .

what does that tell you ?

Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Why anyone would buy one of these anywhere, escapes me.
Timeshares everywhere are a ripoff.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:24 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
they have gotten far less of a problem today then 25 years ago when people were not wise to them .

Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Timeshares everywhere are a ripoff.
We go to Gatlinburg every now and then. The place is a tourist trap that ends up costing way more than what it should but it is close enough to drive so we go get our wallet beat up every once in a while. Anyway, back about 10 years ago we were there and were walking down the sidewalk visiting the shops and every so often there were these stands soliciting timeshares. The people working at them were literally yelling at and harassing people. I noticed it as we were walking toward them and I told my wife to get ready and ignore them. One of the guys started trying to get my attention and started yelling "sir" at me and then the color of my shirt and following behind me yelling. My wife knew I was about to snap and ducked into a store real quick and I turned around and lost it on the guy. I pretty much put two sentences together using nothing but cuss words including the F word along with some adjectives and verbs describing what I was going to do if he didn't shut the hell up. He turned around and headed back to the stand but I followed along behind him telling him I would buy anything from someone who followed me on the street yelling and other people around started applauding me for letting him have it. I would not be a bit surprised to find out that it was the same company the OP is referencing in this thread. To sum up the story, when I got home I emailed Gatlinburg city and their chamber of commerce complaining about the timeshare solicitors because they were all up and down the street at the time. It wasn't long the city passed a law banning that type of solicitation. It was that bad.

Disney has them for their resorts including Walt Disney World. They are quite popular and sell well but I think a lot of people are short sighted and not great with math. I took the tour and then sat down a couple weeks later at home and did the math. The "annual dues" were more than what I pay for a really nice hotel outside of Disney World and about the same as what they call a moderate resort hotel within their resort. The annual dues increase pretty much every year so the math still works out to costing just as much or more than just getting a good hotel. On top of that, you have to buy the points in the first place which can cost $35,000 or more. The math just doesn't work and I can't wrap my head around why so many people buy them. Besides all of that, you are locked into going to one of their resorts pretty much every year for the next 50 years. You can swap points with other timeshare companies like RCP but heck, we like to go on trips all over the country and every once in a while over seas.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 AM

574 posts, read 382,920 times
Why am I not surprised?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:51 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
We went to a timeshare presentation back in the '80s. They claimed that prices for everything would increase by 10x, and campsites were going to be $100 a night by the year 2000.

So I asked if their annual fee would increase at the same rate. Guy turned real nasty at that. That's when I decided that timeshares are for people bad at math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel