Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 03:27 AM

3,350 posts, read 2,318,496 times

Advertisements

For full time or often rvers, van, or other travel nomads who live all over the US including outer territories or countries in the world. I know some of them hardly ever return to their “domicile state.” Though in this case would it be an issue if the drivers license is from astate/commonwealth/district/terrority different than his/her from the domicile state? Ie taxation?
Car license/registration as well. Since it can be very difficult to return to domicile state for anything.
Ie if his license is from Vermont but he domiciled in Texas/Dakotas for tax purposes/vehicle registration or vice versa. But is hardly ever physically in either state.

Also should a person misplace his or her license from domicile state which he rarely if ever goes to but holds a valid license from another US territory. Will he/she encounter issues when driving/renting vehicles in the continental US? That is Assuming he/she doesn’t enter/settle and in his or her “domicile” state. It appears from what I can search in most states except Hawaii the requirements are only if one establishes domiciled residency and considered a resident they are officially required to get local documents within a certain amount of time spent in that state. But if he/she has no domicile in that state they can use a valid license issued to them by any state, terrority, or even foreign country. And many have no limits on how long you can drive without a local license or use your valid license as long as you don’t fit the definition of a resident. Things do get more interesting when possible more restricted vehicles such as larger RVs are involved most states have different rules but typically exempt non residents legally using out of state licenses as long as not for commericial purposes. In some US territory licensing and legislation motorhomes don’t even exist.

I be curious though are more and more people embracing the nomadic lifestyle with or without a house car/van since COVID19 since its likely they be working online indefinitely as even with vaccine it would not get back to normal for years and cities repeatedly go into lockdowns and continue to do so for the foreseeable future? Working online should mean no need to commute or be in commuting distance of work. And most advantages of living close to work and busy expensive yet vibrant areas are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 03:49 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,614,148 times
Four times in my life, I've traveled 6 months or more with no fixed place to go back to. Always with the expectation that I could re-start.Twice I had to get a job, later I just resumed home-based retirement.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:21 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,802,765 times
I plan to do this when I finally FI in a couple of years... initially thought of having a home base here in the US but given how shockingly expensive Real Estate has become and the ongoing maintenance costs I think it's not really worth it to own a home if one is traveling for a good length of time overseas.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:53 PM

5,769 posts, read 11,395,221 times
I'm not a permanent traveler, but I am currently residing in Germany for a year or so, waiting until the Covid situation calms down before making a move back to the US. I'll probably stay here until September 2021. I rent a furnished apartment here in Chemnitz, a medium sized city about an hour south of Leipzig. I arrived here three months ago with a duffel bag of clothes and my bicycle (in a bike box). This apartment feels like home to me for now, it has everything I need for everyday life. I can walk to downtown in 10 minutes, and all the stores I need are in walking distance. I don't have a car here, so I walk or bike ride most places I need to go.

So far, the cold weather season has been mild here. Winter just started, but it doesn't seem nearly as cold as the times I remember in Germany in the 1970s, when I spent 4 years here while in the US Army. I've lived in warm weather climates (California, Arizona, Alabama) for most of the past 3-4 decades, so it took me a little while to get used to the cold temps again.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:18 AM

4,236 posts, read 4,756,195 times
I had an interview a few months ago that was in the same industry I currently work in, but for a contract role (12 months).

When I spoke to them about the position, they stated that I could work literally anywhere in the world so it has me thinking if I should consider my next position to be on contract?

If this would eliminate all of the headache about trying to determine how I could legally work wherever I want then maybe this is the best route to take? It would definitely be a huge lifestyle change considering I might not be able to keep long term contract positions (requiring new contracts every so often). Plus I'd have to figure out health insurance. On top of that, I'd be forgoing my current company's pension benefit (and I'm not necessarily looking to leave my current company either).

I wonder if I could somehow work for my current company but on contract instead?

Any contractors on here working for US based companies who are remote that travel? Perhaps I should look for such people on Reddit forums (or if others have suggestions on other forums to look for those that might have more insight do let me know)...

Old 01-08-2021, 08:30 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,179,732 times
yes reddit has TONS of digital nomads. There's a sub specifically for it, as well as many related subs. You will find a wealth of info there.

Many companies are transitioning their workers to fully remote. It's a transition that has been coming for a long time. Your company may do the same. Some still place restrictions (within country, within time zone, etc) but as I said, everything is loosening so it is entirely possible that this will change within your own company in the near future.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:50 AM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Perpetual travel is great, as long as you never want a garden.

And, you're never happy were you are.

Then again, no matter where you are, there you are...

Man without a country comes to mind...

Old 02-02-2021, 03:50 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 16 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,930,399 times
Usually, the Hotel room that I have is superior infinite vast improving from what I have in residential grounds overseas. I find that kind of very ironic. My own less than ideal real housing situation in a ghetto of NYC makes me feel like I am traveling without a home.

Can still feel quite comfortable to really get that far away. And I don't have to pay the rent anyways.

Since 2014 seven years in a row, I am leaving the exact original residency status no less than 14 Days. Usually that much minimal up to even six calendar months. Most recently, three calendar months.

Technically, people are able to travel between Hotel rooms accommodation only quite very easily, and with relatively smooth relaxation without close ties to a home foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel