Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
boarding passes aren't the same thing as tickets. They still scan the code on the electronic boarding pass or on the piece of paper if you print it out at home or at the kiosk as you get on the plane.

Try these. Paper will become obsolete regardless if people are digging in their heels.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...pass-us-trial/
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/elec...rk-100837.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/t...y/18check.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
and yet still irrelevant as people are discussing having a paper back up just in case they lose their phone or forget to charge it and it dies, or something along those lines. Plus they have a record for reference if there is an issue with getting ff miles.

It's not about not using eticketing or electronic boarding passes in general

Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times
I guess my point is that eventually, people won't have the option of a paper boarding pass, it will all be electronic.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
I don't see the need for a paper boarding pass, much less special cardstock.

I'm not a road warrior but fly 10x per year and have never seen a boarding line held up because someone's phone just wouldn't scan. And I've never known anyone not get their ff miles credited because they couldn't cough up a paper boarding pass. If it happens, simply giving them the confirmation number over the phone or email should do. When they allow if not encourage electronic boarding passes, they are not going to tell you that you are just SOL for using one.

If you enter the airport with phone battery at 10% or just need paper for comfort, then get a boarding pass at kiosk or counter. I'm sure people can manufacture all sorts of scenarios to justify the paper but the fact is millions of people are flying successfully without it.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If you enter the airport with phone battery at 10% or just need paper for comfort, then get a boarding pass at kiosk or counter. I'm sure people can manufacture all sorts of scenarios to justify the paper but the fact is millions of people are flying successfully without it.

My primary justification for using paper is for proof if the State of Alaska ever audits me. It's the primary source of verification to substantiate that I was in Alaska more than six months and one day. Because if I don't meet the criteria that defines who is an Alaska resident, then I could lose my Permanent Fund Dividend, my lifetime fishing/hunting/trapping license and my right to vote in Alaska elections. So the State of Alaska strongly urges people who are out of state more than 90 days to retain hard copies of their boarding passes and flight itinerary.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
and yet still irrelevant as people are discussing having a paper back up just in case they lose their phone or forget to charge it and it dies, or something along those lines. Plus they have a record for reference if there is an issue with getting ff miles.
Wouldn't the receipt from the purchase suffice for getting FF miles? (I wouldn't know ... it's not a problem I've ever had, despite being a frequent flyer)

Old 03-13-2019, 12:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Why doesn't the OP simply do early check-in before going to the airport and then at the airport use one of self-service kiosks to print out their boarding pass?

I do this and print out a copy and stick it inside checked baggage, if I have a bag.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My primary justification for using paper is for proof if the State of Alaska ever audits me. It's the primary source of verification to substantiate that I was in Alaska more than six months and one day. Because if I don't meet the criteria that defines who is an Alaska resident, then I could lose my Permanent Fund Dividend, my lifetime fishing/hunting/trapping license and my right to vote in Alaska elections. So the State of Alaska strongly urges people who are out of state more than 90 days to retain hard copies of their boarding passes and flight itinerary.

Hard to believe that Alaska is denying anyone dividends because they cannot produce a paper boarding pass. Plenty of other ways to verify residency. Geez, what if you drove there or arrived by ship? A boarding pass doesn't prove residency anyway. You wouldn't have one if you never left. In any event, save as a pdf and if audited, print it out.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Print a boarding pass? Are we flying back to 2003?

Old 03-13-2019, 02:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I do this and print out a copy and stick it inside checked baggage, if I have a bag.
I pretty much always check a bag (have the Delta credit card where it's a comp benefit, and I'm at about a 35% successful claim rate for their '20 minutes or 2500 miles' on time guarantee so checking a bag actually earns me fiat currency) and I just have the gate agent print the boarding passes at the same time they're printing my bag tag and receipt stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel