Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 04:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
I have booked trip for next year to Yosemite - King Canyon- Sequoia- Death Valley. In addition to that, there are two more trips I want to make in US; one in Washington (Olympics - Mt Rainer - North Cascade) and one in Yellow Stone - Tentons - Glacier as well as one trip in Canada (Bnaff and Jasper). At that point, I would have crossed off my bucket list from North America and venture outside.
If you have the time on the Washington trip, swing a little south toward Oregon for Mount St. Helens, Mt. Hood and the Columbia River Gorge waterfalls. I was kind of surprised at how much I loved the Portland area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 05:38 PM

624 posts, read 314,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you have the time on the Washington trip, swing a little south toward Oregon for Mount St. Helens, Mt. Hood and the Columbia River Gorge waterfalls. I was kind of surprised at how much I loved the Portland area.
Thanks. I have also been told that Canadian side of PNW is spectacular as well (victoria/ whistler); Butchart Garden looks really tempting (love botanical gardens).

I will be torn whether to go Oregon route or Canadian route from WA when I finalize my trip

Last edited by chrish78; 08-11-2022 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-13-2022, 06:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
How can I get a piece of the action? It costs about the same to build, run and staff a basic American motel in Jackson Tennessee or Jackson Wyoming. But the rate, they just move the decimal point, 49.99 to 499.90. Same plastic bedspreads, same table the size of a pizza box, same cable with one movie channel, same minimum wage maids. Who gets the 450 markup? Why not me?

Old 08-13-2022, 07:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
How can I get a piece of the action? It costs about the same to build, run and staff a basic American motel in Jackson Tennessee or Jackson Wyoming. But the rate, they just move the decimal point, 49.99 to 499.90. Same plastic bedspreads, same table the size of a pizza box, same cable with one movie channel, same minimum wage maids. Who gets the 450 markup? Why not me?
You didn’t adequately predict how the scarcity of privately held land near national parks and other prime nature areas would drive up prices for said land underneath the hotel in the new century as more and more people chose the Grand Tetons as a summer vacation playground. You should have bought the Jackson Hole land in 1972 when it was somewhat available and affordable.

Jackson Tennessee, a couple of acres of soybean field in a small town interstate area is indeed ten times cheaper than an equivalent land parcel in Jackson Hole. (I used to live about 45 minutes north of Jackson, TN and got to know a decent amount of the area)

Old 08-13-2022, 10:12 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Quote:

Absolutely. Go for it. Let us all know how it works out for you.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You didn’t adequately predict how the scarcity of privately held land near national parks and other prime nature areas would drive up prices for said land underneath the hotel in the new century as more and more people chose the Grand Tetons as a summer vacation playground. You should have bought the Jackson Hole land in 1972 when it was somewhat available and affordable.

Jackson Tennessee, a couple of acres of soybean field in a small town interstate area is indeed ten times cheaper than an equivalent land parcel in Jackson Hole. (I used to live about 45 minutes north of Jackson, TN and got to know a decent amount of the area)
And it came-a bubblin'up crude. Look, Granny, they'e gonna build a national park and interstate ramps in our back 40. I bet a lot of money changed hands during that process.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:16 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,599,740 times
Quote:
It costs about the same to build, run and staff a basic American motel in Jackson Tennessee or Jackson Wyoming.
You need the land to build it on, which is part of the cost, which isn't about the same.

Quote:
Who gets the 450 markup? Why not me?
Because you don't think things through.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You need the land to build it on, which is part of the cost, which isn't about the same.

Because you don't think things through.
I thought things through for a secod, and called G. Steinbrenner to tel him I had enough to buy 1% of the Yankees, which I literally did. He acted like he didn't know me. No matter how much we think, we don't get in on those deals, we just get shabby hotel rooms that cost as much as George's box at Yankee Stadium.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:49 AM

1,435 posts, read 768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever
LOL, request denied.

We've traveled a bit. It was a surprise to us when we took a week long boat trip on the Mekong River and of the 50-ish passengers on board found that we were the only Americans. We had a similar experience on a small boat cruise in Croatia a couple years prior to that.

Personally, I don't understand it. It would benefit many Americans to get out of their own country and see the world, get some perspective.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:04 AM

8,640 posts, read 9,158,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
LOL, request denied.

We've traveled a bit. It was a surprise to us when we took a week long boat trip on the Mekong River and of the 50-ish passengers on board found that we were the only Americans. We had a similar experience on a small boat cruise in Croatia a couple years prior to that.

Personally, I don't understand it. It would benefit many Americans to get out of their own country and see the world, get some perspective.
It really is about money and especially...time. There are many jobs in the US that require you to work a couple of years with them before one can receive a two week vacation. Usually by accumulation of days worked. For many, it would take two years. Add to it, many employers do not offer sick leave, forcing the employee to use vacation pay instead, also the cost of health insurance. Many employers these days either contribute little or none at all.

How was that cruise down the Mekong? I've checked into it before, seems very nice. Again, that cruise is not affordable for many Americans. Much more expensive than an ocean cruise for several reasons.

Last edited by jmking; 08-15-2022 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel