Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:24 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are six state capitals west of LA.

Carson City, Nevada
Sacramento, California
Salem, Oregon
Olympia, Washington
Juneau, Alaska
Honolulu Hawaii
Correct. I miscounted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:25 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Which one...the Washington mountain that blew its lid in 1980 or the capital of Montana?

I believe she meant St. Helena, the island. It's in the Atlantic, and is part of the British Overseas Territory also encompassing Ascension and Tristan da Cunha islands. It's famous as the place of Napoleon Bonaparte's exile and death

Old 04-06-2019, 11:12 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
How many people have been to St. Helena?
A few years back my Aunt and Uncle along with one of their kids and their spouse were on cruise in November where they were re-positioning the ship and went from Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro and their one and only stop along the way was to St. Helena.

St. Helena finally opened their first airport a few years back and has some limited flights now.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Considering the capital of Montana is Helena, that's probably not what the poster was referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I believe she meant St. Helena, the island. It's in the Atlantic, and is part of the British Overseas Territory also encompassing Ascension and Tristan da Cunha islands. It's famous as the place of Napoleon Bonaparte's exile and death
Looks like my attempt at being facetious fell flat.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
I have a good friend who, when a meteorology student, spent a couple months in St. Helena in the 50s. I had aother friend who was born on Yap when it was a German colony in the Pacific, and grew up in the Azores. His father was a telegrapher around 1900'

Last edited by cebuan; 04-06-2019 at 07:03 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 08:42 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I was just talking to a colleague who is going to be visiting her daughter in the summer. Daughter lives in Delaware near a resort town on the ocean. Colleague is in California. I have lived all over the mid Atlantic and the colleague was asking me questions about visiting namely if she would need to bring a coat in because it gets cold there (not in July...). The more I talked to her the more I realized she thought Delaware was near Boston or at least that New England and the mid Atlantic were all basically the same place. This is not a poorly educated woman... she has a doctorate. . but she really had no clue about seasonal temps or geographic location.

I recall the first time I went to El Paso and how shocked I was that Austin was so far away as it was my only other reference point in Texas. I do think that where you are used to informs your idea of what sort of scale and climate other places will have. Anyone experience this sort of confusion when they travel or had others ask questions of this sort?
I've run into this several times even with people who are relatively educated.

My director wanted to fly into the Philadelphia airport and have me pick her up because she thought that Pennsylvania was a small state and that Erie, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are all pretty much next to each other. Uhhh, nope. Philadelphia is about 6.5 hours from me so I asked her about coming into Cleveland, Buffalo, or Pittsburgh instead

Last year I was walking around Presque Isle Park and some out of state people in a car stopped and asked me in a worried tone if the ice on Lake Erie was still safe to walk out on. It was late June and the water temperature was around 67 F and the air temperature was 72 F.

I am a geography buff so am usually well informed and love to research where I am going but have royally messed up once: I made a mistake myself when I was sent to Brownsville, Texas in November to help with a new factory start up. My location was in Upstate NY so I was coming from snow and temperatures in the 20s and 30s. I brought winter clothing--sweaters, coats, etc. I about roasted to death my first day there upon landing because it was 84 F out

I ended up having to buy a few outfits while I was there because I learned that temperatures in the upper 70s are normal down there.

I remember our cousins from Minnesota coming out to visit us in Upstate NY and being shocked that it wasn't like NYC with tall buildings and traffic everywhere.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Which one...the Washington mountain that blew its lid in 1980 or the capital of Montana?
Wrong! Just confirming what I wrote. St. Helena is one of the most remote habited islands in the world. It's a PIA and very expensive to get there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena

Quote:
Considering the capital of Montana is Helena, that's probably not what the poster was referring to.
Hahaha! You are correct.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:05 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
[quote=Riley09swb;54850304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I don't know what your definition of chilly is but I've never been at any beach in Delaware in July when it wasn't at least in the eighties. We used to own a home in Bethany. Seven hours is not a day trip. She thought she could pop into Boston for the afternoon.

Why argue? I don't understand posts like these.[/QUOTE

You acted like Boston was hours away when it's not and you didn't say in your OP she thought it was a day trip (but if she left at 7am she could be there by 2pm). You posted on a DISCUSSION board so people will post with differing opinions. I didn't realize you just wanted everyone to bash her. Sorry.
Delaware beaches are not like New England beaches, the latter of which are much colder. Delaware is not near Boston, even if you can drive there in a day. OP is correct in thinking this was an idiotic idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are lots of directional surprises.
Atlanta is west of Detroit.
Mount Everest is south of Tallahassee Florida.
Seattle is north of Montreal.
Montreal is closer to Florida than to the north tip of Quebec.
Chile's Pacific port of Valparaiso is east of New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How about this one that shocks most people; There are five state capitals west of Los Angeles.
I love these sorts of facts -- including the state capitals west of L.A., which was corrected to include Carson City, bringing the total to 6.

I'm a map geek, so I don't know if anyone else likes to do this, but I love to turn the globe upside down. It is amazing to see how little land there is in the southern hemisphere (the biggest component being Antarctica), and that South America really isn't as large as I typically had thought of it.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:33 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm a map geek, so I don't know if anyone else likes to do this, but I love to turn the globe upside down. It is amazing to see how little land there is in the southern hemisphere (the biggest component being Antarctica), and that South America really isn't as large as I typically had thought of it.
Someone actually decided to divide the earth into a land and water hemisphere (they didn't use the equator, but a different line dividing the earth into two equal halves).

Land and water hemispheres

Old 04-11-2019, 05:50 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Reno is West of LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel