Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 05:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving in a couple of weeks for Europe afterwards returning to the states where I'll be spending a couple of months on the east coast before I return home.

My question is what do people who travel for weeks at a time do about the thermostat in their home?

I'm thinking of leaving it at 75 degrees (F) although I'd hate to pay a bill for cooling a home that no one is in.
If I leave it off, the place would become very hot (I'm currently in a southern state), may damage my fridge, electronics, warp some furniture or art work, and allow hordes of insects to crawl in and set up headquarters/nesting site to thrive (similar to what happens when I've stored my furniture in non-temperature regulated storage spaces in the past).

For those who travel for weeks/months and leave behind an empty home/apt, how do you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Here in Arizona 80 to 85 is common for the AC when away for some time. Much more risks a number of problems (including drying/ cracking of furniture, drywall, etc.).

BUT you should be aware that many insurance policies require regular checks of an unoccupied home. They may refuse to pay, for example, for three months worth of water damage.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Neighbors or house-sitters or tenants...(or all three)

I have (3) primary rural homes* in USA and travel 50%+ of the time for last 30 yrs, often internationally. Few problems.

(rural home = much more bother / risk than a city home... livestock, fences, wells, power outages, septics, pumps, theft, wildfire, flash floods, roofs... LOTS of roofs!, gates (that 'visitors' leave open, farm equipment risk...)

It is the rural rentals (12) that cause fear / but still they seem to survive.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Here in Arizona 80 to 85 is common for the AC when away for some time. Much more risks a number of problems (including drying/ cracking of furniture, drywall, etc.).

BUT you should be aware that many insurance policies require regular checks of an unoccupied home. They may refuse to pay, for example, for three months worth of water damage.
I recently moved to the state, where I currently live, due to a job relocation so no family here to check on my place.

I'm concerned about things like water or pipe breaks.

Although I'd hate to lose my privacy by having a landlord (an older married couple) come in whenever they want to while I'm away, maybe I should let them know so that they can check on the apt for me.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Neighbors or house-sitters or tenants...(or all three)

I have (3) primary rural homes* in USA and travel 50%+ of the time for last 30 yrs, often internationally. Few problems.

(rural home = much more bother / risk than a city home... livestock, fences, wells, power outages, septics, pumps, theft, wildfire, flash floods, roofs... LOTS of roofs!, gates (that 'visitors' leave open, farm equipment risk...)

It is the rural rentals (12) that cause fear / but still they seem to survive.
Sounds good. I wish I had neighbors, house-sitters, or tenants.

I live in a small, small city in a rural state. Unfortunately, my neighbors are new. I live in a three-apartment garden building. I've been here less than a year and my two neighbors moved in about 2 months ago.

My neighbors are not people that know nor would feel comfortable with them checking on my place.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I'm with you. I think I'd just take a chance and go with the easier to ask forgiveness than get permission tack. My privacy is really important to me, and I know first-hand by watching an owner I worked for as an apartment manager, that some owners are really nosy and use any excuse to snoop.

I'd personally rather take the chance of nothing going wrong or not - than let people know I will be gone and they wouldn't get interrupted if they decided to snoop or break in, etc.

And I'd set the thermostat at 80 - 85.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If in an apartment, I see no need for someone to 'check-in', tho I would have no problem assigning that task to apartment
or rental company manager. (They are bonded and insured, and have a responsibility to respect your personal stuff)

Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I recently moved to the state, where I currently live, due to a job relocation so no family here to check on my place.

I'm concerned about things like water or pipe breaks.

Although I'd hate to lose my privacy by having a landlord (an older married couple) come in whenever they want to while I'm away, maybe I should let them know so that they can check on the apt for me.
Are you able to turn off your water? Until recently my husband and I had a vacation home and we were away for several months at a time during seasons where it might be 70 degrees or 25 degrees. Pipes freezing were a real possibility and a fear. When we weren't there we turned off the water. As for the thermostat, if you aren't home I think 75 degrees is too low. Would push it up to 80 or so.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 AM

276 posts, read 282,941 times
When we go on vacation, we turn A/C up to 80.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Remotely controlled thermostat and few surveillance cameras. It's also good to tell the cops in your area to keep an eye on your house. Other than that - yeah, be friendly with your neighbor or two. Landscape guy will take care of lawn. Potted flowers go to neighbor. They will also park their car sometimes on my carport. I dont have mailbox, just POBox.
Everything else will be turned off.

I am leaving at the end of the month for 6 month overseas, and that's what I do everytime I leave my house for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel