Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
For myself it is because I don't know any of the languages. When I go to Europe it will be the UK. Then maybe English speaking countries in Africa. Take it from there. If anything Asia will be one of the last places I visit.
It's not that hard to travel without knowing the local language. At least Spanish has lots of cognates, uses same alphabet, and areas tourists go are usually relatively English friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 09:53 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,061,361 times
When I was last in China in 1992, there were children coming up to me to practice their English, as I understand English is the 2nd language in China unless that's changed.

Many people in India speak English, on my 2 visits there, I never had any language problems.

So you need not limit yourself to England, and with their accent, I sometimes have a hard understanding them even though they're speaking English.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,705 times
For Americans, I think that South America is basically unknown.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 07-01-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,823,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, so many American foreign travelers, I've talked to, seem to head for Europe first, then it's off to Asia, and then, it's South America, or not at all. And, not surprisingly, it's the major tourist mecca, Machu Picchu/Cuzco that they go to first in South America.
Safety is certainly a concern in S America, but also climate. When I visited Santiago, Chile, in the 1990's, the air pollution was terrible. Beautiful country, though. And S America is less developed than Europe, so roads are terrible in many places, there are massive slums outside of large cities like Santiago (people living in boxes, literally), and restroom facilities can be just a hole in the ground, once you leave the cities.

Also, visitors have to be MUCH more careful about food and water in S America, or anywhere south of the US border for that matter, in my view. In Europe, it's much easier to relax and eat the food without worrying. I always drink bottled water in Europe, though I think most of it is safe to drink these days. And crime in Europe is usually confined to tourist areas, pickpockets, etc, not usually muggings or murders.

China is also a "developing" country in many ways, and it's a real effort to make the long flight there and back. I never worried about personal safety or the food on my trip there, as long as it was cooked, but I would only drink bottled water.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:52 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times
My goal for my 30s is to visit at least one country per continent & unfortunately I am statuesque, I too have visited Europe first followed by Asia. Still waiting for my trip to Africa and South America trip. WHY

As a single female - Western Europe seemed like the safety place to visit. Plenty of other females have taken that trip & it was easier to navigate. Over the years, I have visited several counties in Europe but have not crossed over to Eastern Europe

Why Asia - There are lot of organized tourist activities in Asia. My sister and I did the Japan/China tour & now feel more confident to visit other Asian countries.

Before my Asia trip I actually looked at tickets to Brazil and tried visiting South America but the flight price was so high that I choose to do Asia trip first. I have 5 more years to fulfill my goal. Northern Africa is next unless I find great deal to SA

Old 07-01-2019, 07:27 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The Big South America destinations aside from Machu Picchu are way down the continent.

Maybe this nailed it. Americans, and others, think of travel as "the big destinations". Rather than as an exploratory adventure into a new unknown horizon.. And the tourism market is sold as such.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
South America is actually high on my list of places to go, but cost and lack of realistic opportunity (due to work, etc.) has not seen me go through yet.

I've done the following continents in the order presented:

North America (born and bred, and have traveled extensively throughout)
Asia
Australia
Europe

I plan to do Africa or South America next.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:48 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Maybe this nailed it. Americans, and others, think of travel as "the big destinations". Rather than as an exploratory adventure into a new unknown horizon.. And the tourism market is sold as such.
On 6 of my trips to South America, after doing all the big cities, I abandoned the big cities and explored all the small and medium sized cities by bus, mostly alone, except one trip to Bolivia. There's so much more to see in SA than the big limited tourist destinations. And Colombia and Ecuador are much closer to the U.S. than going all the way down to southern Argentina or Chile. Medellin and Cali have long shed their shadier pasts and are both enjoying a resurgence, as well as Bogota.

The Andes mountains are the biggest attraction for me. If it weren't for the spectacular mountain scenery, I would have bypassed it. To see the snow-capped Mt. Illiani towering over the city of La Paz is unforgettable, or the razor sharp snow-topped peaks out of Hauraz, Peru.

I did Europe first, back during my hippie days, backpacking around Europe, but I want to preserve those memories and The Europe of 2019 doesn't hold much appeal to me. Way too many changes that I wouldn't find very attractive! The low fertility rates will continue to change Europe! And it's also going to change South America as their fertility rates are beginning to mirror those of Europe.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:36 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's not that hard to travel without knowing the local language. At least Spanish has lots of cognates, uses same alphabet, and areas tourists go are usually relatively English friendly.
Yeah, don't let languages stop you from travelling. We even LIVE here in So. American and still don't speak Spanish. In Europe, most people know some English, so we had no trouble in Italy, Greece and Spain. We spent most our time away from major tourist areas, too.

I haven't even seen Macchu Piccu yet, or the Amazon. And we're nearby. Just more interested in Europe.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, don't let languages stop you from travelling. We even LIVE here in So. American and still don't speak Spanish. In Europe, most people know some English, so we had no trouble in Italy, Greece and Spain. We spent most our time away from major tourist areas, too.

I haven't even seen Macchu Piccu yet, or the Amazon. And we're nearby. Just more interested in Europe.

Exactly. I spent three weeks traveling alone across south China, knowing no Chinese, and met only one traveler and two Chinese who had any practical use of English at all.

Also lived 4 years in Latin America and never acquired an ear for spoken Spanish, although I could speak it tolerably. And also never went to MP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel