Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 02:31 PM

988 posts, read 1,018,986 times

Advertisements

We have 2 weeks in late August/early September to visit Europe with our 7 year old daughter, and I was hoping for suggestions for some interesting and beautiful places to visit that might not be on most top 10 lists. We love architecture and my daughter does really well with outdoorsy vacations (think U.S. national parks, boat rides, waterfalls, etc.). We've been to many of the most popular places in western Europe and would really love to find somewhere a little quieter and less expensive. I know that August is hectic and expensive all over Europe but I imagine that Budapest is not as bad as Barcelona, for example. A few ideas we've had are below and we'd love to hear any other suggestions:

-Slovenia and Croatia
-Baltic States
-Croatia and Montenegro
-Budapest/Vienna/Prague
-Malta and Sicily

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Don't leave Romania out of consideration. It's got beautiful countryside, nice castles, is cheap, interesting fall of communism history, European-style town squares, easy to get around by bus/train, and has the whole vampire/Dracula angle that is played up in the Transylvania region that your average 7 year old would love to experience.

It has enough unspoiled nature that there are still bears, wolves, and lynx found in areas relatively close to some cities.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:49 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Scotland. Do the grand tour from Edinburgh up through Aberdeen, the highlands, up to John O'Groats, back down the West side, Loch Ness, Glasgow. Beautiful roads, lots of castles and interesting buildings. Safe beyond words, great people.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Scotland. Do the grand tour from Edinburgh up through Aberdeen, the highlands, up to John O'Groats, back down the West side, Loch Ness, Glasgow. Beautiful roads, lots of castles and interesting buildings. Safe beyond words, great people.
This is a wonderful idea! The weather will probably be better in Scotland in August/September than in the other places OP mentioned.

Sicily would be fun, but probably beastly hot at that time.

Budapest, Vienna, and Prague are big cities -- OP said the daughter likes outdoorsy vacations. I personally enjoy city vacations, but I found Budapest to be a very difficult city to walk around in.

If it were me, I'd take the Scotland advice.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Wales is good too- an insane number of castles and great walks and beautiful wild areas. It's not on the radar for many Americans but has a well-developed and relatively reasonably priced tourism infrastructure for UK folks who don't want to fly somewhere for a holiday.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:43 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,311,348 times
Try to go as late as possible as September is much quieter and hopefully a little cooler than August.

The Puglia region of Italy could be worth considering. Sicily is hardly off the main tourist trail any more. It is extremely popular with European tourists and gets inundated with cruise ship passengers in parts. However, it has amazing variety and Mt Etna is beautiful.

I also think Scotland is beautiful, we planed to get back there again.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:51 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,872 times
My 7-yo's were amazing, I loved traveling with them. Everything is an adventure. Keep the itinerary tight and simple, she won't want to spend half o every day stuck in a train seat. To her, the next town with a funny name is a million miles away. Think of things to collect, like leaves or candy wrappers or discarded lottery tickets. Birdsong will all be new and unfamiliar species, learn to distinguish and imitate them, be sure you notice the cuckoo. Share her enthusiasm, always. Renting a car or a few days would be ncie, aimlessly get lost on back roads you can't see otherwise, overnight at zimmers.

Make it strictly her trip, and tag along behind her -- she will give you a memory you will cherish for a lifetime. How I envy you.

Oh, by the way -- it doesn't matter where you go.

Last edited by cebuan; 10-11-2019 at 03:00 AM..

Old 10-11-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Don't leave Romania out of consideration. It's got beautiful countryside, nice castles, is cheap, interesting fall of communism history, European-style town squares, easy to get around by bus/train, and has the whole vampire/Dracula angle that is played up in the Transylvania region that your average 7 year old would love to experience.

It has enough unspoiled nature that there are still bears, wolves, and lynx found in areas relatively close to some cities.
I love this suggestion. Bucharest does not seem especially great as large European cities go, but the countryside looks wonderful and my daughter would love the castles/Dracula angle. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This is a wonderful idea! The weather will probably be better in Scotland in August/September than in the other places OP mentioned.

Sicily would be fun, but probably beastly hot at that time.

Budapest, Vienna, and Prague are big cities -- OP said the daughter likes outdoorsy vacations. I personally enjoy city vacations, but I found Budapest to be a very difficult city to walk around in.

If it were me, I'd take the Scotland advice.
Thanks to both of you re: Scotland! And the suggestion of Wales is also a really nice one. My only hesitation is we have been to the UK and Ireland in recent years and we rarely have an opportunity to get away for 2 full weeks, so we were thinking of going a little deeper into Europe for this vacation.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My 7-yo's were amazing, I loved traveling with them. Everything is an adventure. Keep the itinerary tight and simple, she won't want to spend half o every day stuck in a train seat. To her, the next town with a funny name is a million miles away. Think of things to collect, like leaves or candy wrappers or discarded lottery tickets. Birdsong will all be new and unfamiliar species, learn to distinguish and imitate them, be sure you notice the cuckoo. Share her enthusiasm, always. Renting a car or a few days would be ncie, aimlessly get lost on back roads you can't see otherwise, overnight at zimmers.

Make it strictly her trip, and tag along behind her -- she will give you a memory you will cherish for a lifetime. How I envy you.

Oh, by the way -- it doesn't matter where you go.
Thanks Cebuan! Our daughter is over 6 now and she is an absolute joy to travel with. And yes we try not to spend too much time in transit and moving from one hotel to another. Slow travel works much better for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel