Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you bring your family to Disney World this June?
NO WAY, are you crazy? 68 72.34%
Maybe, depends what happens in the next month with the virus. 12 12.77%
Maybe, depends on what Disney is doing for safety. 4 4.26%
YES, absolutely! Why not? 12 12.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 06:09 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,555,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Just about every source under the sun (except Disney) says they will remain closed until 2021. I would not plan on going in June and maybe not until Thanksgiving holiday if there is no 2nd wave or season return of the virus. They are under pressure and Motley Fool says they will be forced to reopen because smaller places will reopen (like Sea World or similar?). Disney is such a crowded venue I would avoid it until this virus is gone or controlled. How do you sanitize a theme park every day?
Every source under the sun? Hardly. More like one guy with an opinion went viral, and everyone's run with it because it's dramatic and people like drama.

Florida is starting the first stages of reopening in just a few days. No, I don't think that means a Disney reopening is right around the corner, but considering how crucial WDW is to the central Florida economy, I don't see them putting it off until January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 08:04 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,754,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The focus should be the cheerleading competition, the theme park is only incidental. You don't HAVE to go to the Disney World theme parks (i.e. Epcot or the Magic Kingdom), the competition is held in a separate facility on the huge Disney property (ask me how I know) - the sports stadium complex that they have. I can't quite remember however if the theme park tickets are included in the package deal to attend the competition itself.

The competition itself, both for competitors and spectators is very crowded however. I would just follow the guidelines that the state is following regarding staged openings. The state may be open but large public gatherings still prohibited. That such a large public gather will be allowed in June is 50/50 I think.

As someone pointed out - it will be hot and humid and the cheerleading practices are typically held outside in the field area of the complex (the actual competition is inside the various stadium complexes). Ask me how I know that as well. Saw plenty of little girls from the otherwise hot southern california desert practically passing out from the heat.
This competition is in Orlando. The package we have to purchase includes a 3 day hopper pass. So if the parks are closed I'm paying for those for nothing. Our team is out of NW Indiana, so we need to fly out of Chicago or drive 18 hrs.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
[Snip.]

I find it interesting that schools are closed through the remainder of the year but yet a cheerleading competition gets rescheduled and can potentially happen. I guess it's all about priorities.

I think it's a wait and see decision. It sounds like you've already paid the deposit. When do you have to make a decision? I don't think you have enough information now to make an informed decision about what Florida will look like in a month and a half. It also seems like they are doing everything they can to make sure they will be able to put the competition on which includes teams that didn't actually win a bid. How far off were they? If the level of competition won't be there, what's the point of going?
This is not school cheerleading, it's All Star competitive cheerleading, so it has nothing to do with the schools. I agree though, in my State the schools closed through the end of the school year, not sure about Florida. The Governor of Florida should not allow it. Period.

I also agree that the level of competition is usually "best of the best" for this and if they are opening it up to all teams it loses that feel. What would be the point? My girl worked hard to get to that point.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-30-2020 at 10:20 PM..

Old 04-30-2020, 08:14 PM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

My kids are 14 & 12. They have been to Disney World 3 times. It's the experience of the competition that they are more excited about.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-30-2020 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 06:50 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,332,405 times
I think the real question is: What is the health risk for the parents? It's very low for the daughters. If the parents are age 50+, that's starting to creep into the higher risk category. Late 40's, healthy, and in shape? I wouldn't commit any money to the trip where I can't get a full refund but I'd go and be attentive to hand washing and the other germ-o-phobe behaviors. I imagine Disney World would be pretty empty and adopt all kinds of distancing policies.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:11 AM

16,429 posts, read 12,555,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think the real question is: What is the health risk for the parents? It's very low for the daughters. If the parents are age 50+, that's starting to creep into the higher risk category. Late 40's, healthy, and in shape? I wouldn't commit any money to the trip where I can't get a full refund but I'd go and be attentive to hand washing and the other germ-o-phobe behaviors. I imagine Disney World would be pretty empty and adopt all kinds of distancing policies.
The issue is not the consequences of one person getting infected and whether or not they are healthy enough to handle CV19.

The issue is packing hundreds or thousands of people into a small area that makes social distancing and sanitation pretty much impossible, making virus transmission very probable, and then those people going home and infecting people around them.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:24 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,970,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This is not school cheerleading, it's All Star competitive cheerleading, so it has nothing to do with the schools. I agree though, in my State the schools closed through the end of the school year, not sure about Florida. The Governor of Florida should not allow it. Period.

I also agree that the level of competition is usually "best of the best" for this and if they are opening it up to all teams it loses that feel. What would be the point? My girl worked hard to get to that point.

I know that this isn't school-sponsored. I know 5 girls (our old neighbor's daughter, a classmate from IN has two daughters in it and my son's friend has two sisters in it) who are on competitive cheer teams and they all won bids to go to Disney.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:24 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,929,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This competition is in Orlando. The package we have to purchase includes a 3 day hopper pass. So if the parks are closed I'm paying for those for nothing. Our team is out of NW Indiana, so we need to fly out of Chicago or drive 18 hrs.
Yes I've attended the exact same event, and events in other towns. The ESPN Wide World of Sports complex is on Disney property, not Orlando. Disney property is HUGE and is not in Orlando, but a dozen+ miles south of the city (I used to live in Central Florida as well). They have Disney shuttles that constantly move between all these Disney complexes - theme parks (including water and animal park), hotels, other complexes.

Do they not give an option for tickets without the park hopper? I seem to remember there were several purchase options specifically designed for the cheerleading event. I know the allure of the theme parks but for the kids it's really about the competition as you know...I remember that world of competitive cheerleading and was glad when my daughter grew out of it. Well, prepare for it (both the theme parks and the sports complex) to be closed regardless.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:08 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,739,327 times
We live in Florida and would never go to Disney in June, pandemic or no pandemic. It's disgustingly hot and crowded. If it's open (and that's a big if), it will be at reduced capacity, so you might or might not get in. I really wouldn't count on being able to do that.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:09 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,817,815 times
No way would I go to Disney or any other place with crowds of people until this thing burns itself out. Amusement parks are petri dishes of germs under the best of conditions. I caught the flu from some kid coughing in a cave I visited last December. I couldn't imagine standing in a line inside some building with something even more contagious still circulating. I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel