Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

Navigating Southwest's flight search can be frustrating. It imposes a limit of only four hours for connections, which can be problematic, especially considering its dispersed hub network. For instance, when traveling between outstations like Pensacola and Fresno, finding direct routes can be challenging. Often, you're forced to opt for a more expensive multicity option because the system may indicate that direct travel isn't possible, leading to a less-than-ideal booking experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 07:15 AM

232 posts, read 142,967 times
I buy basic economy seats. The only drawback that I felt is that I could only have my seats assigned when check-in within 24 hours of the flights. I have always got seats together in long flights if the tickets were bought together.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:11 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
I have been searching with Google Flights for years, and always find good prices. I am retired, though, so my time is flexible, and I don't fly in the peak season or around holidays. I also fly basic economy, and generally get a r/t ticket between the two US coasts for $200-270, or a r/t ticket between the US and continental Europe for around $520-580.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:46 PM

Kayak.com used to be a useful platform, but now it's overwhelmed with unnecessary information. Similarly, United's website is disorganized, reflecting the clutter found on Kayak.com, whereas Southwest's site serves as a commendable model for what a flight-search platform should look like.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:23 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Quite a few airlines are cutting out first class altogether.

In any case, first class is for the wealthy. Or airline staff, or people travelling on business trips. We went to Europe last year and the flights, in US dollars, were $1650 each. To upgrade to Business would have cost an additional $7,000 each. We actually could have paid that but are not wealthy enough to want to.

International flights are generally almost double for us since covid.

To get a good deal I think we would need to wait a couple of years to see things settle down.
I am traveling to Europe for the first time in two weeks in Premium Economy class. Despite trying to research how to get a good deal on Business Class, I really messed up.

First mistake, I made my airline reservations through a tour group last fall so I had no control over my reservations until a few weeks ago. Finally American Airlines offered an upgrade to Business Class about 3 weeks before the trip starting at about $2500 on the trip over to London. I had read and heard from others that the airline will keep sweetening the deal and there are likely to be Business Class seats available at the last minute so I waited. The price went down to $1300 and second mistake, I decided to wait to see if it would get down to $1000 and all the seats sold.

The flight back in four weeks is through British Airways and I cannot get into their system to find my reservation - none of my confirmation codes or reservation numbers work. Need to call the travel agent on this. Their Business Class seats on that flight and others are currently listed at almost 10,000 pounds but am hoping they might advertise less expensive upgrades similar to American Airlines.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:13 PM

The traveler is recounting their experiences with booking flights to Europe for the first time. They initially booked in Premium Economy class but hoped to upgrade to Business Class. However, they encountered some challenges along the way. Initially offered an upgrade by American Airlines for $2500, they decided to wait, hoping for a better deal.Unfortunately, when the price dropped to $1300, they hesitated further, only to find that all seats were sold when they finally decided to purchase.

For the return flight with British Airways, the traveler encountered difficulties accessing their reservation and is now seeking assistance from their travel agent. Despite seeing high prices for Business Class seats, they remain hopeful that more affordable upgrade options may become available.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:19 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex234 View Post
For the return flight with British Airways, the traveler encountered difficulties accessing their reservation and is now seeking assistance from their travel agent. Despite seeing high prices for Business Class seats, they remain hopeful that more affordable upgrade options may become available.
The American Airlines prices for Business Class for new tickets were also very high when they offered the much less expensive upgrade options. So it is possible that British Airways might do the same. Airline pricing is very mysterious .

Old 04-03-2024, 02:58 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I buy basic economy seats. The only drawback that I felt is that I could only have my seats assigned when check-in within 24 hours of the flights. I have always got seats together in long flights if the tickets were bought together.

There's other drawbacks. You don't get a refund if you cancel, you can't change your flight, you aren't eligible for an upgrade, and you don't earn miles.

I always get Main Cabin on Delta so that I can pick my seat the day I purchase the tickets, and also

Old 04-04-2024, 01:52 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Another thing you can do is play the airline points game. Some great deals can be found through earned points as well as some programs offer good rates on purchasing points that can make it a better deal than purchasing the tickets directly.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:29 PM

693 posts, read 284,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Another thing you can do is play the airline points game. Some great deals can be found through earned points as well as some programs offer good rates on purchasing points that can make it a better deal than purchasing the tickets directly.
Yeah sadly points have been monetarized by the airlines. Yes you get frequent flyer miles for signing up for this or that card but it just in turn dilutes the value of the miles. The time for playing the "airline points game" and coming out ahead is long past I think, particularly for the guys that actually put in the butt time in the flying metal tube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel