Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2024, 12:13 PM

4,243 posts, read 4,759,362 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about it but would love to hear all about it from those who have visited before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 03:10 PM

5,770 posts, read 11,399,777 times
My first visit to Uruguay was November 1971. At that time, there was a steamship ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo that took 5-6 hours, but now there are fast ferries that make the crossing in 3 hours. Uruguay doesn't have spectacular natural scenery, but does have a big selection of nice coastal towns and some resorts along the Atlantic. Inland looks a lot like the Carolina lowlands in the USA, with similar weather and gentle rolling terrain. Lots of cattle and sheep ranches.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:25 PM

152 posts, read 62,341 times
I visited Uruguay about a decade ago. I found Montevideo, the capital, to be a much more quiet place than, say, Buenos Aires or Santiago, with fewer things to see and do also. Montevideo does have some beautiful buildings--the most impressive of these is probably Palacio Salvo, which overlooks the main square.

Outside the city, in Punta Ballena there's another interesting building called Casapueblo that's worth checking out. The owner is the Uruguayan artist Carlos Páez Vilaró, whose son is one of the survivors of the plane crash in the Andes.

As the poster above mentioned, there are beach towns in Uruguay. Probably the most well-known is Punta del Este, which has been compared to Miami Beach and St Tropez.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:28 PM

271 posts, read 310,200 times
I did a Spanish teacher program in Montevideo in July 2019. Quaint town and much more quiet than Buenos Aires. There is a very nice colonial plaza in town. Colonia (old colonial town) and Punta del Este (resort town east of Montevideo) were two day trips I took. The food is rather dull - think asado (meat), pizza, and pasta. Locals are friendly enough - and definitely big football fans.

I went in July and the weather was cool and dreary but obviously summer months would be quite different.

Old Today, 04:23 PM

329 posts, read 67,746 times
I was on the coast of Uruguay several times. I prefer Piriápolis to Punta del Este, because it's cheaper and quieter there. The trip is usually made in one day, although it is advisable to do it in two, with a stop at night usually in Mercedes. I travel by car. Of course, for me it's much easier and cheaper than for those who live in the US. I travel from the city of Córdoba, where I live. A little more than a thousand kilometers to the Uruguayan coast.

Old Today, 09:50 PM

14,426 posts, read 14,344,428 times
I was in Colonia de Sacramento briefly. Took the ferry over from Buenos Aires about a year ago. Beautiful little place, but I have only seen photos of the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel