Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM

173 posts, read 939,547 times

Advertisements

Ok I have been receiving calls lately for a Disney vacation that I've been wanting to do with my family for a couple of years now.

TODAY THEY FINALLY GOT ME TO SPEND $$$$$$$$$

This morning I spent almost $400 and received 5 trips ranging from Disney (the family) to Vegas (my husband and I). We also have some trip to St. Louis, Myrtle Beach, etc.....The only thing I have to do is pay for plane tickets. NOT A BAD DEAL.

(Let me add that they have offered me condo's with full kitchens at most of my destinations) ADDED BONUS

I'm starting to get scared and or have COLD feet. The deal seems too good to be true. I am aware that I have to listen to the SALES speech for 90 minutes or MORE, but am I going to leave these trips exhausted from the experience?

I am a cheapskate and PROUD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times
I've done something similar but never had to pay anything. That is beside the point though. As long as it is reputable, you shouldn't have any problems. The only thing is, they are going to hardball you in the 90 minute spiel (more like 2+ hours from my experience). They practically won't take no for an answer so unless you are thinking about gettine a timeshare, beware! It's a very exhausting process but don't stress over it. Every time they give you an offer, just kindly say no. It's a stamina game really so just go with the flow - "No" is the magic word!

Other than that, have fun!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:55 AM

I stayed up last night and researched the company I payed my money to for this timeshare vacations and all I read was BAD REVIEWS. BAD BAD BAD reviews. When I was on the phone yesterday they said I would have a 7 day return policy and from the reviews that isnt true.

I also read the terms and conditions ONLINE they were not discussed over the phone. The terms and conditions also have additional fee's along with me the customer not being able to pick the hotel I will be staying in. They were unable to give me the exact hotel that I will be staying in.

The word they used to describe this vacation get away was SCAM

Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,716,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew2nc View Post
Ok I have been receiving calls lately for a Disney vacation that I've been wanting to do with my family for a couple of years now.

TODAY THEY FINALLY GOT ME TO SPEND $$$$$$$$$

This morning I spent almost $400 and received 5 trips ranging from Disney (the family) to Vegas (my husband and I). We also have some trip to St. Louis, Myrtle Beach, etc.....The only thing I have to do is pay for plane tickets. NOT A BAD DEAL.

(Let me add that they have offered me condo's with full kitchens at most of my destinations) ADDED BONUS

I'm starting to get scared and or have COLD feet. The deal seems too good to be true. I am aware that I have to listen to the SALES speech for 90 minutes or MORE, but am I going to leave these trips exhausted from the experience?

I am a cheapskate and PROUD!
I'm a single mom of three and let me tell you, I've done them all...or so I think.

These companies would call me - like they did you. I'd tell them I couldn't afford to purchase anything. They continued with the pitch and I'd give them my nominal 'deposit', 'fee to cover taxes', etc.

We've been to Disney several times, Hilton Head, Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach several times, Vermont, Daytona, and other lil beaches along the Florida/carolina coast.

We enjoyed those vacations. I paid attention for the 90 minutes but was always up front and honest...since that phone call.

I was told that 1 in 20 purchased the timeshares....it may be different according to the location. But that I was one of the 19....the more they have come thru the better their chances.

I felt bad sometimes because I knew I wasn't going to purchase anything. Those reps work hard for their money as they have families to support, too.

But, they called me and after I told them I wouldn't purchase anything...they still invited my family to come.

I learned so much on those mini-vacations. I saw some beautiful condos...got some great decorating ideas!

The reason I never purchased was their yearly fees. To me, those fees equaled the rental on a condo/hotel...anyways. So why pay the 10-20k they wanted in a contract...w/ interest?

Have fun and get pictures!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:18 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
Go and enjoy. Listen to the presentation, be polite, and tell them no. As you continue to tell them no, the deal will get better. Just keep saying no. Let me also add that I do own a timeshare and love it. We did it to make sure that we always took a vacation and it has worked well for us. I know quite a few people who have timeshares in the Disney area and are always pleased because the kids want to go every year. It is always easy to exchange. Anyway, stay strong and keep saying no if you don't want to buy.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 AM

How was Gatlinburg?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 AM

Have you ever been to summer bay resorts?
That is the company whom contacted me.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
Go and have fun. We did buy 3 weeks at the Hyatt in Key West and it worked well for us. We have since sold (lost money) because there are so many resales. A wonderful sight that can help you with any timeshare question is TUG, Timeshare User's Group. I wish I had known about this site before buying from the developer. When you sit and listen to their speech, one of the first questions they will ask is "how much do you pay for your yearly vacation"? Don't let them snowball you, your yearly fees go up each year. You can go into TUG and rent a week almost anywhere for what you would pay in your yearly fees. Our Hyatt weeks were up to $900 a year per week, due by the end of December each year, and if you don't pay, they foreclose. Check out the sight so you will know the right questions to ask when you & your husband are there.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Leave your checkbook and /or credit cards in the hotel rooms safe..just in case they start to get to you

By the way...as Kelsie stated TUG is an excellent site to rent or even buy time share resales

Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
njkate, I wish that we had found TUG prior to purchasing through the Hyatt developer. When we lived in So. NJ & had the "high" profile jobs and lifestyle, we did just that and could have saved thousands of dollars if we had been more knowledgeable abut timeshares and TUG. You are absolutely right leave that checkbook and credit cards in the safe, they love the credit cards, I believe it was 10% down at the time, and if they financed, (we paid up front), the interest was 23%, which is insane. Remember they are salespeople who make a very large commission. Nothing is free, in fact even free love went out in the 60's. Be smarter than they are and enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel