Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

What is inexpensive? What is YOUR budget?

Prague might be cheap with its $10 rooms but now if teh airfare with taxes >$1,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
We have a tiny little house ( tiny European , not tiny American) and I would hardly consider my house hoity-toity. It has one bedroom, a small study and is a row house. A lot of people exchange apartments they are renting too so you don't even need to own your own house as long as you inform your landlord.

We did a long week-end exchange to London once to what was almost a large cupboard of an apartment. A tiny studio with a bedroom which was also the kitchen and living room...

Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 15,842 times
Default Travel Asia..dollars exchange is higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've got very little money, but I'd love to go somewhere.

I bet there are a lot of people like me.

Where can we go that doesn't cost a lot of money? How about Mexico? South America? Indonesia?

Please share some ideas on how to have a great vacation without a lot of money.

Thanks,

Woofers

I highly suggest to travel in Asia...dollar exchange is higher plus there are exotic places to go. Philippines is one country to consider. Very nice and hospitable people. Exotic beaches and food is absolutely to love. You'll enjoy it. goodluck to u.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
The airfare will kill you on many Asian or European countries. For a change of scenery and a little R&R I would go with a short cruise out of FL. As mentioned before you can get great last minute deals.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
watch for last minute cruising
Well,

Lake Minnetonka is a great place to take a boat cruise. The beauty of Lake Minnetonka is just too much to ignore. A Lake Minnetonka boat cruise can be fun for the entire family, and is extremely affordable. A number of these boat cruises are able to charter groups from ten people all the way up to eighty people. Most of these boat cruises are extremely affordable. Many of them provide tourists with catering, bar services and full amenities backed by a large number of well trained professional staff.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times
woof woof wook, not sure where near the artic is located

but I have found lots of days in Feb with Delta and NW airfare from Knoxville, TN to Honolulu RT $536 each person, if you stay at my favorite place there, a hostel off Lemon St, which is 1/2 block from the beach, buy a bus ticket for the week, only eat one meal out (free breakfast at hostel, cook one meal in your room) then you got a cheap vacation there with all the sun and beach that you would ever want

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times
Knoxville to Madrid Spain $689 RT with Continental for 2 weeks
then get a hostel

I don't look at it, as where do I want to go, I just find a cheap airline ticket and go, never been to a place that I have not liked

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Default Believe it or not!

I recently did 5 days in NYC and decided to try a Hostel for a change. WOW! What a brilliant idea that was! Hostels have largely been the domain of Europeans for many years and they're finally catching on with penny-pinching Americans during the Depression. Hostelworld.com will give you all the listings all over the world, with lots of reviews by people who have stayed there.

I stayed in a Luxury Hostel in NYC with a dorm with two bunk beds with lockers for $29 a night, but I could have stayed in a larger dorm with 3 or 4 bunks for $15 a night. Loved every minute of it and I'm now sold on the Hostel world concept, of shared TV rooms, community kitchens, Internet rooms, billiard/ping pong room, etc. Also, in NYC you can get an all-week subway pass for $25 which will take care of all your transportation needs for the whole week! A screeching good deal!

My other cheapie vacations take me to Central America and South America. In Central America I ride the chicken buses and in the backs of pick-up trucks all over the place, and after 5 trips down there, I've never had a bad experience yet. The honesty of the people is overwhelming and very safe. In Ecuador, three years ago, I never paid more than $5 a night for rooms. And if you're going to do Central America, it's arbitrary which city you land in, whichever is cheapest to fly to: San Salvador, Guatamala City, San Pedro Sula or Tegucigalpa. Once there, the countries are small and the distances are not great between destinations, and Central is what Mexico was back in the 70's and 80's. Mexico is one of the most expensive countries in Latin America. Try the cheaper ones, your dollar will go a lot furthur. El Salvador and Honduras are even cheaper than Guatemala.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel