Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:12 AM

240 posts, read 1,289,406 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of a good travel site to get inexpensive airfare?
Trying to plan trip to Miami from Durham,NC. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
You must be the only remaining person in the United States William Shatner has not gotten through to. I wish I was in your shoes on that one.

Let's see: travelocity.com, priceline.com, expedia.com.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Looks like Southwest Airlines flies to Miami from Durham. Have you checked with them yet?

Cheap tickets

Cheap airfare

Above are just two of the many Inexpensive Airfare threads a search brought up for me.

Yapta, Kayak, ITA, Booking Buddy, Airfare WatchDog, Farecompare are all good sites to use, I probably like Yapta the best but they all have their uses. I still use Orbitz now and then, but I hardly ever bother with Priceline, Travelocity or Hotwire. This is partly because of my location, those sites tend to partner with certain airlines.
If I were you, I'd try ITA first to see what's out there (click on Search Airfares, then log in as Guest.)
If you are flexible, click on Month Long Search.
Then you can log in your dates at Yapta.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
I usually look on the travel sites to see what is available, then go to the airlines website to actually book the tickets. Also keep in mind that some airlines (Southwest comes to mind) do not show up on most travel sites.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
I always get cheaper prices booking directly through the airline. I don't care what William Shatner says.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I always get cheaper prices booking directly through the airline. I don't care what William Shatner says.
I prefer to book through the airline, too. As Mutt says, not every airline shows up on every search engine.
The trick is to *find* those cheaper prices.
That's why I like to begin with ITA, then go to Yapta.
I had already booked one trip, but then Yapta found me a far cheaper price.
I got my ticket refunded and went with the cheaper fare.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 PM

986 posts, read 1,665,876 times
You can try Cheap Flights, Cheap Hotels, Cheap Airfare, Airline Tickets, Travel Deals - SideStep also; It returns rates from a number of different travel sites.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
you had already booked through the airline then got a refund from them?
Do they do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I prefer to book through the airline, too. As Mutt says, not every airline shows up on every search engine.
The trick is to *find* those cheaper prices.
That's why I like to begin with ITA, then go to Yapta.
I had already booked one trip, but then Yapta found me a far cheaper price.
I got my ticket refunded and went with the cheaper fare.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Does anybody know of a good travel site to get inexpensive airfare?
Trying to plan trip to Miami from Durham,NC. Thanks
The real thing that you MUST consider is the plethora of fees and hidden fees that you will encounter on many airlines.

For example, a couple of months ago, a United flight was actually $10 cheaper than a Southwest flight. (Yes, it does happen.) However, if I take the United flight, I will need to pay for two bags per person. In addition, if my work schedule changes forcing me to change the flight, I will need an additional $100 per ticket to make the change. In addition, it is cheaper to park arounf Chicago-Midway than at Chicago-O'Hare.

Do realize that when you are booking between MIA and RDU, that there are a couple of alternative airports nearby that might provide you with some cheaper options. For example, occasionally, you will find a good deal into Greensboro or Greenville, NC. Also, you may find some better flights into Fort Lauderdale.

Airfarewatchdog will give you all the cheap flights out of all the regional airports in your airport. It is a very valuable resource.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The real thing that you MUST consider is the plethora of fees and hidden fees that you will encounter on many airlines.
How timely!
This just in:
Airlines add fees, and some fees on top of fees (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090619/ap_on_bi_ge/us_airline_fees - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel