Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done this? I did in Cancun once, and just booked a tour in Puerto Vallarta. Travel & Leisure just released an article about ziplining, and the one in San Francisco looks awesome!

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah: 3 New Ziplines Offer Extreme Thrills - Carry On - Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/blogs/carry-on/2010/4/9/zip-a-dee-doo-dah-3-new-ziplines-offer-extreme-thrills - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Has anyone ever done this? I did in Cancun once, and just booked a tour in Puerto Vallarta. Travel & Leisure just released an article about ziplining, and the one in San Francisco looks awesome!

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah: 3 New Ziplines Offer Extreme Thrills - Carry On - Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/blogs/carry-on/2010/4/9/zip-a-dee-doo-dah-3-new-ziplines-offer-extreme-thrills - broken link)
They just opened one north of Branson. Zipline the Ozarks or something like that. Doesn't look like fun to me. I'd rather play a game of pool.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,448 times
Lol 20yrs, it looks fun to me... and pool sounds like a blast too

Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
It's fun, it's fun, it's fun!

We went when we were on Roatan last year and had a blast! We now look for ziplines wherever we are going to visit. I just wish I had discovered this earlier in life.

Do it!!

Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
What is it exactly? It looks like you get hooked up to a wire and slide along it. Is that it?

Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
What is it exactly? It looks like you get hooked up to a wire and slide along it. Is that it?
Essentially! You have to climb a lot of stairs to get to where the zipline begins, so it's not for those that are out of shape! The ones in Central and S. America go through the rainforest, which of course is much more appealing than random US ones!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
We have lots of zipline options here in Hawaii. Just on Kauai there are 4 different companies. Maui is supposed to have some really good options, too.

I really like ziplining. It isn't a thrill really by any means, more of a way to relax and take in the scenery. I have a go to company here for when friends want to do it and it doesn't involve too much walking. I did hear that b/c they don't have the same strict OSHA standards that we have here, ziplines in Mexico or other latin american countries isn't as safe.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
We have lots of zipline options here in Hawaii. Just on Kauai there are 4 different companies. Maui is supposed to have some really good options, too.
Can you recommend a particular company to use in Kauai? That's on our travel list in the very near future.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:56 PM

269 posts, read 913,886 times
I LOVE ziplining ... BUT that being said I'm not sure how sturdy the ones outside our country are, as with other things, the safety requirements are not nearly as stringent. The one in Roatan ... snapped and killed a lady a few years back.

correction: that lady didn't die from the line snapping it was her harness that broke. The snapped line was Costa Rica, which has 3 deaths within the last several years.

But hey, that's not stopping me ...

Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
I LOVE ziplining ... BUT that being said I'm not sure how sturdy the ones outside our country are, as with other things, the safety requirements are not nearly as stringent. The one in Roatan ... snapped and killed a lady a few years back.

correction: that lady didn't die from the line snapping it was her harness that broke. The snapped line was Costa Rica, which has 3 deaths within the last several years.

But hey, that's not stopping me ...
Further correction. The one we went on wasn't the one that the harness "broke" on. "Broke" if you want to call a woman getting stuck partway across and a worker trying fix it make a major foobar "broke".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel