Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
My first step into a plane was in '80, from Portland to San Jose, CA. That flight totalled $285 30 years ago. In the 90's I paid a lot less. However, 1980 was before the travel boom when people booked vacation packages to everywhere due to the drop in fares. When flying became affordable to the mass, more people flew, flights were usually full, and although the ticket costs were less, I'm sure that the volume of riders made up for it.
Well you're wrong, Airlines very rarely make money even before 9/11 on average. They had some years where they did OK but ever since deregulation (1978) airlines have been folding left and right.

As far as paying more to travel via airplane, you can make a choice. Spend $800 on a flight that takes 4 hours to go across the country or spend $200 on a greyhound bus or train that takes you 4 days to get across the country.

The expansion of air commerce has benefited the public at large however it's starting to come to a head as this tv program (just released) illustrates.

FRONTLINE: flying cheap: watch the full program | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well you're wrong, Airlines very rarely make money even before 9/11 on average. They had some years where they did OK but ever since deregulation (1978) airlines have been folding left and right.

As far as paying more to travel via airplane, you can make a choice. Spend $800 on a flight that takes 4 hours to go across the country or spend $200 on a greyhound bus or train that takes you 4 days to get across the country.

The expansion of air commerce has benefited the public at large however it's starting to come to a head as this tv program (just released) illustrates.

Greyhound isn't a great choice for international flights.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:

I would never pay $800 to fly domestically unless it's a death in the family. I would do without, or just road-trip it. And I don't think the average family with two kids would be so quick to dish out $3200. Sounds like a terrific way to kill the travel industry.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:27 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
AA announced yesterday that starting in June-July they are going to start charging $50.00 extra for assigned seats.
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=11966389

Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
AA announced yesterday that starting in June-July they are going to start charging $50.00 for assigned seats.
American Airlines to charge $50 for coach standby - WAVE 3 TV Louisville, KY |

You mean 'standby', right?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I would never pay $800 to fly unless it's a death in the family. I would do without. And I don't think the average family with two kids would be so quick to dish out $3200. Sounds like a terrific way to kill the travel industry.
That's fine but don't complain about flights delayed due to congestion and weather. Don't complain about flying on a small outsourced aircraft when you bought your ticket from a major carriers web site. Don't complain about paying $8 for a blanket. Don't complain about having to bring your own food. Don't complain about having to pay to check bags. Hopefully I made my point.

You as a passenger in todays environment are getting a steal of a deal at current ticket prices.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
I would never pay $800 to fly domestically unless it's a death in the family. I would do without, or just road-trip it. And I don't think the average family with two kids would be so quick to dish out $3200. Sounds like a terrific way to kill the travel industry.

Welcome to my world. About $750 a ticket for me to go to LAX at the beginning of next month. Oh, that is coach by the way and does not include my baggage fee. Not to mention we're a family of 5.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
You as a passenger in todays environment are getting a steal of a deal at current ticket prices.

Maybe down in the states you guys are, but not up here. Even with inflation and blah, blahs flight have gone up exponentially. You used to be able to buy a 4 pack of tickets round trip to Seattle for $600 - $800 back in the early-mid 90's. It is not $544 per ticket, plus baggage fees. Oh and they used to feed me.

Now Southwest, those guys have very low fares. I wish they flew here, it would drive the rest of the prices down.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Maybe down in the states you guys are, but not up here. Even with inflation and blah, blahs flight have gone up exponentially. You used to be able to buy a 4 pack of tickets round trip to Seattle for $600 - $800 back in the early-mid 90's. It is not $544 per ticket, plus baggage fees. Oh and they used to feed me.

Now Southwest, those guys have very low fares. I wish they flew here, it would drive the rest of the prices down.
Limited competition.

SWA has higher fares than the legacies a majority of times. People thinking they have low fares are generally the result of marketing.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
I'm okay so long as I know up front what the charges are going to be. I don't like surprises.

For example, if I want a scotch I know that is going to cost me. If I want to check a bag, the same thing (unless its Southwest). Its a decision I get to take. Just don't give me any surprise charges that I don't have a choice over.

ps. On a recent flight from PHX to SLC I ordered a scotch at $7. Got the choice between a Glenlivet single malt and a Dewars blended. Not a hard decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel