Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times

Advertisements

Does anyone travel enough to know if any of the hotel-motel chains offer discounts or free nights if you purchase a certain number of nights?

I may need to travel around Texas a bunch and would need maybe 40 hotel nights.

Any hotels/motels known for having locations close in to downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
Yes I think almost all hotel chains give free night awards for frequent stays. I work at a hotel and we have many guests stay with us through their membership. Basically for us, you get points for every dollar spent and a certain amount of points is needed to stay. The points vary based on where you want to stay. Also, the more you stay the higher your status is in the program and higher status members get free upgrades and other perks. I would try to stick with one or two chains if you can to get the most value. Also, many programs allow you to transfer your points to frequent flier miles.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I always click Government Rate and I am never asked for govy ID (even though I have it and would legitimately be able to use it).

Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Most of the major business chains will have a rewards program of some sort. However all my programs now direct points to my Qantas frequent flier card so I haven't paid much attention to how many nights you could score.

Of what I remember, Hilton, Marriott and Holiday Inn seemed to have the best programs. I like Hilton Garden Inns for business travel.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I always click Government Rate and I am never asked for govy ID (even though I have it and would legitimately be able to use it).
I am also a govt employee, but I discovered sometimes those rates are higher. Last hotel I booked was 78$ with govt discount and 73$ as a regular guest.

Always check!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A lot of it depends on the hotel and the demand on the rooms management allocates to government employee. Certain hotels allocate ten rooms which routinely go to employees of a single agency.

At the CURRENT time with low vacancy rates, hotels are making no limits on any discounted rates.

To the OP, if you are traveling using YOUR OWN MONEY, you will fo a LOT better using Priceline and Hotwire than on any discounted rates.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,788 times
You should check out Choice Hotels. Their (free) Choice Priveleges rewards program allows you to accumulate points each night that you stay at a choice hotel. You can then redeem those points for free nights, gift certificates, etc.

There are a number of Choice Hotels worldwide, they're composed of Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, etc. I work at a Quality Inn in Brookfield, WI and can vouch for all of this. Most of the hotels are 3-4 stars, but there are higher quality ones such as Cambria Suites that are opening all over the place.

Good luck

Hotel Rewards - Choice Privileges Hotel Reward Program

Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A lot of it depends on the hotel and the demand on the rooms management allocates to government employee. Certain hotels allocate ten rooms which routinely go to employees of a single agency.

At the CURRENT time with low vacancy rates, hotels are making no limits on any discounted rates.

To the OP, if you are traveling using YOUR OWN MONEY, you will fo a LOT better using Priceline and Hotwire than on any discounted rates.
I disagree with this. If you ask for a discount at a hotel, 9 times out of 10 you will get one. If you're persistant, you can end up getting a fantastic deal. At the hotel where I work in particular, we are given a lot of lee-way with the rate that we offer guests. I can't speak for other hotels, but I'd assume that we aren't run in a terrible different manner than they are.

Also, be careful when booking through third parties. Always call the hotel directly after you make the reservation to be sure that everything came through on their end. We frequently have guests come in and discover that their reservations were made for the wrong room type or certain requests were not passed along to us.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I disagree with this. If you ask for a discount at a hotel, 9 times out of 10 you will get one. If you're persistant, you can end up getting a fantastic deal. At the hotel where I work in particular, we are given a lot of lee-way with the rate that we offer guests. I can't speak for other hotels, but I'd assume that we aren't run in a terrible different manner than they are.

That is funny. The Marriott Courtyard's best "talked down" rate last week was $89. The Priceline bid that I got for the same property was $40.

At most properties, the front desk clerk (or even manager) or the reservation agent have very little leeway as to the rates they quote. Oh, you may be able to suggest a discounted rate that saves a few dollars if you have a guest that is on the edge.

For the records, I was in the hotel business for years myself.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM

216 posts, read 668,296 times
For the last 5 years, Business Traveler Magazine and Global Traveler Magazine have named the Priority Club Awards the best program. The Program includes Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Staybridge Suites, InterContinental, Holiday Inn Express, Indigo Resorts and Candlewood Resorts.

priortyclub.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel