Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM

7 posts, read 39,626 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal- I am helping my brother move from Long island to northwest Ct (litchfield area). I'm going to rent a uhaul, and I'll end up making a 300 mile trip (gasp), from Ct , to long island, and back. I know I wont be able to take the merrit in the 10' uhaul truck, so I'll be stuck doing I95 until I can pick up route 8 and go to litchfield.

First question- Along I95, can my u haul go through the normal car cash lanes? and same goes for the throgsneck bridge toll booth, too.

Second question- I don't believe u hauls can take the Northern Parkway in long island. I need to get to the Stony Brook area, so what would be the best route? I-95->(throgs neck bridge) 295->495-> ?? thanks for any insight. I have a feeling this whole trip is gonna cost me around $400-$500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Haul'n it 2010 View Post
Here's the deal- I am helping my brother move from Long island to northwest Ct (litchfield area). I'm going to rent a uhaul, and I'll end up making a 300 mile trip (gasp), from Ct , to long island, and back. I know I wont be able to take the merrit in the 10' uhaul truck, so I'll be stuck doing I95 until I can pick up route 8 and go to litchfield.
Another alternative would be to go to a temp agency and hire a driver with a commercial drivers license (CDL) who has a lot of experience driving the truck. A driver would probably cost you $250 or so.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Another alternative would be to go to a temp agency and hire a driver with a commercial drivers license (CDL) who has a lot of experience driving the truck. A driver would probably cost you $250 or so.
Sorry, Jlawrence, but we're talking a 10' U-Haul truck. Only a little larger than a full-sized van. Hiring a driver really makes no sense, IMHO. UHaulinitin 2010, I've only been in the NYC area in a big truck, so I'm not sure I can be of much help. I'll defer to those with more experience. I do remember that commercial vehicles are restricted from the Parkways in NY & NJ. But I'm not sure if that applies to just big trucks because of their 13' 6" height and U Hauls are allowed because they're not as tall. Sorry, but I hjust don't know. maybe the info's on a "FAQ" on a website for the particular parkway. Have a good trip and try to relax!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Haul'n it 2010 View Post
I know I wont be able to take the merrit in the 10' uhaul truck, so I'll be stuck doing I95 until I can pick up route 8 and go to litchfield.
Thank you for being aware of the prohibition of U-Hauls on the Parkway. Now, if we could only get our stupid state troopers to realize they're not permitted.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel