Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM

35 posts, read 74,077 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Doing a lot of research regarding a possible relo to the area.
We are from Las Vegas currently. We have three young children (6,2, and 1y). Schools are a huge thing for us, and coming from Clark County School District, which is considered pretty low performing nationally, we figured almost anything would be an upgrade
However, we look at greatschools and other compare sites and the comparison is not that different as far as their rankings go. For example: Clark County district is a 6 on greatschools and Richland a 7. From what I hear and read from people on the forum, I would have guessed a larger difference.
Now, I am well aware that such rankings are only a small view into the equation, but what are the frank opinions of the schools in the Richland area?
We have two kids (our two oldest) that have some speech issues and need small classes and best chance for more individual attention. In Las Vegas, this has relegated us to the private schools system, which is draining us financially with two in pvt schools. We live in a nicer part of town with a public elementary school ranked very well (locally and greatschools wise 10). However, the class size there is 25-30:1.
For anyone who has moved around a bit and familiar with greatschools.com, does their system really hold true? We are not really knowledgeable on this since our kids have not been in the public system and we have lived in the one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM

17,235 posts, read 57,237,072 times
I don't live in Richland and don't have any kids, but, my general impression is that the Richland school district is good to excellent, the local technology employers (national lab, nuclear fuel fabrication, exotic metals, etc.) draw people who want good schools.

Seriously, elementary school is, well, elementary - you don't really need a genius to teach your kid the 3 R's.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM

89 posts, read 232,056 times
The Tri-Cities as a whole doesn't have great schools, but Richland probably has the best of the bunch. I hear Hanford is the best high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetdoc View Post
We are from Las Vegas currently. We have three young children (6,2, and 1y). Schools are a huge thing for us, and coming from Clark County School District, which is considered pretty low performing nationally, we figured almost anything would be an upgrade
However, we look at greatschools and other compare sites and the comparison is not that different as far as their rankings go. For example: Clark County district is a 6 on greatschools and Richland a 7. From what I hear and read from people on the forum, I would have guessed a larger difference.
Now, I am well aware that such rankings are only a small view into the equation, but what are the frank opinions of the schools in the Richland area?
We have two kids (our two oldest) that have some speech issues and need small classes and best chance for more individual attention. In Las Vegas, this has relegated us to the private schools system, which is draining us financially with two in pvt schools. We live in a nicer part of town with a public elementary school ranked very well (locally and greatschools wise 10). However, the class size there is 25-30:1.
For anyone who has moved around a bit and familiar with greatschools.com, does their system really hold true? We are not really knowledgeable on this since our kids have not been in the public system and we have lived in the one place.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 AM

376 posts, read 654,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetdoc View Post
The public schools in Richland where my children attended are considered to be very good and always are high with things such as average test scores and college attendance. The north side of town & W. Richland go to Hanford High School and central and southern Richland go to Richland High. It used to be the case that Hanford was considered to be more academic and Richland better for sports but I think that may have shifted a bit over time and they're essentially equal academically. South Richland is where the newer and nicer homes are so that has impacted the demographics of the 2 schools.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 PM

68 posts, read 211,386 times
Sorry I haven't stopped back in a while and hope my comments aren't too late to be useful…

I've lived in Richland all my life (except college), my 3 kids all went through Richland schools, and my son and daughter-in-law work in area school districts, so I have a bit of a perspective to offer.

I think Richland schools are the best in the TC area, tho' by a small margin. Richland just seems to have to deal with fewer of the problems I hear about in the other districts (gangs, dropouts, etc.). I can't find the link just now, but the other area high schools had drop-out rates in the 11–20% range, while Richland's was ~6%.

Between Richland (nee Columbia) and Hanford High, they're both both quite good and have been for years (I went to both:-) Rather than academics, they are perhaps better distinguished otherwise: Richland has always been a better "sports" school, while Hanford has an amazing drama program; Both have pretty good music, afaik (my son's a music teacher in another nearby district). I'm curious about your handle—are you a musician, as well? (My son plays trumpet, too.)

I'm not specifically aware of "speech issues," but all school districts of any size in WA have speech therapists—I have a friend in Kennewick who's high up in the special services area—I can pick her brain if you like.

I could continue with a rant on how education in general has slid over the last 40 years, but guess I'll leave well enough alone ;-)

Regards,
HeyMikey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities