Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

I would give a dig a better shot at rehab than I would most humans.
A dog rarely if ever turns on it's owner - no matter how vicious THE OWNER is.
Look at Michael Vicks - he tortured, fought starved and HANGED his dogs.
Now he has a reality show.
None of his dogs ever retaliated - he admits that they were all "innocent and didn't deserve what I did to them"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
About 40 years ago a vicious psychopath kidnapped a teenager in California, took her to the desert, raped her, chopped off both arms, poured lye on her head (which left her blind and bald) and left her alone to die. Amazingly, she survived and was able to testify against the man when he was caught. Since the girl survived, the death penalty didn't come into play but he spent a couple of decades (or more) in prison. When he was finally released, no community was willing to accept him so he ended up living in an apartment near the prison. I forget his name but think it was Larry something. I imagine the man is dead by now since this happened so long ago.

I have no problem with the death penalty for sadistic and vicious murderers and think it is a service to the rest of society to remove them permanently, as they will always be a danger to others. If the death penalty cannot be imposed, at the very least, give these demon possessed sub-humans life with no possibility of parole for them. Let them die quickly by execution or die later in prison. Just never let them out.

To answer the question--of course, I would want to know.
He ended up killing a woman in FL after his release in CA.

Lawrence Singleton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-03-2010, 01:32 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
What Vick did was messed up, and IMO the laws for that sort of behavior should have a heavy punishment. But from what I've read, his sentence was much higher than the typical sentence for animal cruelty.

I love dogs, I love animals, and hell I think there are a fair few human beings who behave worse than animals. But you'll never convince lawmakers to give animal abusers the same treatment as murderers, simply because most people see animals as being below humans. Ironically, my cat has never harmed a person, nor did my late dog. Can't say the same about a ****load of humans.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:35 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Pandamonium my "grasp on the criminal justice system' is firm and informed.
I see our criminal justice system as flawed.
People get off because they have the money to retain "dream team" attorneys.
Poor people get incompetent, inexperienced or disinterested public defenders and sometimes get the death penalty when it is undeserved.

This is why I am personally against the death penalty. It is also expensive and it puts us in league with nations with which I would prefer not to be associated as an American.

But I have NO PROBLEM with life imprisonment without parole.
Why does a "sexual crime" have to be the litmus test?
There are plenty of horrible things one human being can inflict upon another that do not involve sex at all - consider that really brutal crime posted By Cunusu Beach - I mean really ??? That guy got out? WHY?
So that would be in my opinion an "under punished crime"
A perfect example, in fact!
Another that comes to mind is the 1965 torture slaying of teenager Sylvia Liken in Indiana. The ring leader an adult woman Gertrude Baniszewski got twenty years! Her teenged children and neighbor children who were complicit in branding tatooing burning scalding starving humiliating and viscous and relentless of beating this girl served very little time. One went on to offend again - Coy Hubbard armed robbery after serving only 2 years!

Her adult daughters are now grandmothers and live quiet lives with changed names in Iowa and Florida. One went on to become a teacher.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, you do the crime and the time, your done.

It isn't necessary to get a notification by mail. If you have a name, your good to go. (Excepting sexual offenses).
Yeah, I don't see why rape and pedophilia get some sort of special treatment. I don't want to be raped, but I don't want to be murdered, beat up, or shot, either.

Names in the newspaper and notification to all in the area!

I wonder if that wouldn't be a pretty good deterrent.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
He ended up killing a woman in FL after his release in CA.

Lawrence Singleton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for posting this. I had forgotten his last name and all I could come up with was "Larry Sinclair" but I knew it wasn't that. (Larry Sinclair is the name of the guy who claims to have had sex with Barack Obama when they were both teens or early twenties.)

I didn't know that Singleton had been released after such a short time--had thought it was longer. Nor did I know that he had gone on to murder again.

Another case in California more than 25 years ago involved a father who set fire to his 6 year old son in a motel room. The boy, David Rothenberg, survived in spite of having 3rd degree burns over 90 percent of his body. His father, Charles Rothenberg, served less than 7 years in prison.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
somehow in the last 50 years we ditched punishment and replaced it with time out.
dr spock lied.
mutant christian doctrine monster.
highest prison population on earth.
in bagdad they have low prison population and hardly any gangbangers.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:15 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I'm not a big fan of these sex offender lists though. First off, you can be put on there for taking a **** in public. That's not right.

Just lock all murderers and rapists up for life, or shoot them in the head and just be done with it.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:48 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Yes, I do believe in notification. I also believe in life-long monitoring for those that commit such horrible crimes.

Nowadays, it is more common for someone who is charged with drug crimes to be sentenced to a longer time than someone who rapes, kills, tortures.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I wonder for those of you who said they were opposed to the death penalty ,would feel differently if a sadistic vicous criminal totured one of your loved ones ? I myself believe in the death penalty and also I am against leaving them on death row for twenty yrs eating up our taxes to feed them , clothe them and give them medical and dental care when so many of our citizens cannot afford their own medical and dental care . As the daughter of a retired police detective and the granddaughter of a retired attorney this hits close to home .
I always wondered what it would be like to be in a family where your parent or other close relative (spouse) is a police detective. Specifically, how do they emotionally handle it and how does it affect the entire family? I realize they can only discuss so much, but the type of job like this must impact the whole family. And,they're involved with this "darker "element of society and trudging through the mud themselves in order to help society at large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime