Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember a string of small children in downtown Detroit who were abducted walking to school in the 1970s? Most were in kindergarten or 1st grade -- the oldest one was a 2nd grader -- and none of them had to make it more than a couple of blocks to the front door of the school. As far as I know the killings were never solved.

What makes me ask is A) the fact that they're still doing CPR on the Oakland County Child Killer case, which happened less than 20 miles away and is also unsolved, but you hear about it year after year, probably because the parents were middle-class white people with the finances to keep the pressure on. (Barry and Chris King, the father and brother of the last known victim, just forked over $13,000 to get police investigation records on a certain suspect.) The children in the Detroit case -- less than half the age of the OCCK cases, thus more than twice as defenseless, AND about twice as many of them -- have dropped off the map as though they never existed.

I also ask because one VERY scary case which I thought was never solved -- a lady was raped, strangled and hung up like an old pair of boots in her garage -- turned out to have seen solved the same year, and it somehow never made the papers. The guy confessed and everything.

So I'm wondering if anyone remembers this one and if the story was resolved somehow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 PM

5,577 posts, read 6,504,647 times
My husband worked as a medic with Detroit's EMS from 1972 to 1975 and does not remember either the abducted downtown Detroit children or the woman in her garage. He worked at Michigan and Military, Joy and Southfield, Cass and Alexandrine, aka the Cass Corridor, among other areas in Detroit. We watched Channel 7 news every day/night, perhaps they, or Channel 4 or Channel 2 newsstaff, would be able to respond to your inquiries.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
damn.

before i moved from atlanta about 5 years ago, i noticed that for a couple years there seemed to be a hell of a lot of disappearances of black women, round the age of early twenties, all missing from the same general area, TWO of them from the same apartment complex.

hell, i'm a white girl, but after the first few reports and not even the news folk adding all this up, i thought, WTF? as far as i know, this hasn't been solved either. it was obvious as HELL to me that there was something bigger going on, and maybe, again, the cops didn't want to scare people and so on, but it makes you cynical- but then i remember they just solved the Grim Sleeper killings here in los angeles, and all those girls were black and a few of them prostitutes.

i sure hope if you find anything out about this you will keep us posted. life shouldn't be so cheap.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM

Will do. And I agree.

MI Transplant: the abductions may have happened after he stopped working for Detroit EMS -- I think they were in 1978 or '79. I wish I knew for sure when. Or a single victim's name!

The lady ion the garage = Joyce Bennett --she was killed in Harper Woods in 1979, squozen in between the killings of Helen Dutcher and Jeannie Clyne by the same guy.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Was this it? I was just googling

Convict Provides New Leads In 1970s Child Slayings - MI (http://fromwhisperstor.6.forumer.com/a/convict-provides-new-leads-in-1970s-child-slayings-mi_post7337.html - broken link)

Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM

SVT, that is the Oakland County Child Killer. (Good article, by the way.) The killer I am asking about never even got a tag name by the press, although he killed twice as many kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime