Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

This is a strange turn of events.

In a surprise move, the $5.1-million judgment and jury finding that blamed Adam Shacknai for the death of Rebecca Zahau in a Coronado mansion eight years ago have been wiped out and the entire case dismissed after the family of the deceased woman reached a settlement with Shacknai’s insurance company.

The announcement Wednesday by the lawyer for the woman’s family, C. Keith Greer, at the start of a scheduled hearing to argue post-trial motions took Shacknai by surprise as well as his own lawyer.

8 years after a woman was found hanging in Coronado mansion, her family settles wrongful death case:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...206-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:05 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This is a strange turn of events.

In a surprise move, the $5.1-million judgment and jury finding that blamed Adam Shacknai for the death of Rebecca Zahau in a Coronado mansion eight years ago have been wiped out and the entire case dismissed after the family of the deceased woman reached a settlement with Shacknai’s insurance company.

The announcement Wednesday by the lawyer for the woman’s family, C. Keith Greer, at the start of a scheduled hearing to argue post-trial motions took Shacknai by surprise as well as his own lawyer.

8 years after a woman was found hanging in Coronado mansion, her family settles wrongful death case:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...206-story.html

OMG, thanks, I've been wondering about this case...

surprise!

Would have been very interested in how the trial would have ended....IMO, no way was this suicide....

And he just walks....can't believe it, family kept saying justice was what they wanted...

Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Rebecca Zahau was murdered.

Expert testimony of staging the crime was convincing, imo. Force of throwing herself over the balconey would've nearly beheaded Zahau.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Rebecca Zahau was murdered.

Expert testimony of staging the crime was convincing, imo. Force of throwing herself over the balconey would've nearly beheaded Zahau.

That's what I thought too.

Aren't you surprised, virgode, at the latest news?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:34 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I think in the end the family was worn down by the process, with mounting legal bills and uncertainty of what a civil verdict would give them and the difficulty collecting it (ex. Goldman family) could drag on years...

Old 02-07-2019, 02:51 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
That's what I thought too.

Aren't you surprised, virgode, at the latest news?
Oh, this isnt over......
Cant get blood from a stone. I never felt Zahau family civil case was actually about money.

Settlement reached ends Adam Shacknais appeal for re-trial of the civil case.

Zahaus will continue to pursue reversal of suicide on coroners report which could result in reopening Zahau case.

With the settlement, the judge dismissed the case but noted that the verdict against Shacknai would remain.

My previous post says beheaded...correct words decapitated.

Zahau could not have tipped herself over balcony in suicide, expert testfies

Kent said that if Zahau managed to fall freely, rather than being lowered by another person, the sudden tension of the noose around her neck could have decapitated her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.san...story,amp.html

Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Oh...settlement ends retrial of civil case, and verdict remains....I missed that.

Family always wanted that reversal of suicide. Hope they get it. And hope it leads to his punishment.

I do feel for them...dragging out this painful situation so very long...

Old 06-29-2020, 07:50 AM

The other thread on a woman whose possible murder may have been set up to appear as a suicide made me wonder what has happened with this case. This is the most recent information I can find. Does anyone know of any additional progress made on this crime?

Zahau family unveils $100K reward in Coronado mansion death:
https://fox5sandiego.com/news/watch-...alysis-reward/

Old 07-05-2020, 04:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The other thread on a woman whose possible murder may have been set up to appear as a suicide made me wonder what has happened with this case. This is the most recent information I can find. Does anyone know of any additional progress made on this crime?

Zahau family unveils $100K reward in Coronado mansion death:
https://fox5sandiego.com/news/watch-...alysis-reward/
I thought the family lost a wrongful death suit or some legal action was unsuccessful...really bizarre case...highly doubtful it was suicide...I'm curious too...

Old 09-08-2021, 08:23 AM

Medical examiner’s timeline doesn’t match sheriff’s investigation: Rebecca Zahau:
https://californianewstimes.com/medi...-zahau/467861/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime