Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM

449 posts, read 877,737 times

Advertisements

This is a good example of why some women need to learn how to use alcohol responsibly.

Gurmeet Singh, Taxi Driver Charged With Allegedly Raping Passenger, Set To Appear In Court « CBS New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Did I miss something? There is no mention of alcohol.

And be careful not to BLAME THE VICTIMS in this case.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Agree. Why do the victims get blamed?

I once had a very creepy taxi driver hitting on me. It can be the worst situation cause you are all alone in the vehicle together.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times
This is a good example of why some women need to learn how to use alcohol responsibly.

I did not see any reference to alcohol in this article? did I miss something? Why is the victim being blamed? What did she do other than calling for a cab? Hmmm, not liking a victim to be blamed, at all.

No one has the right to be assaulted; a 'hooker' [for lack of another term - okay, professonal woman?] could be walking out of the grocery store and be assaulted - just because she may be a working woman does not mean and/or justify an assault on her either.

Important I believe, not to blame a victim, at all.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
I once had a very creepy taxi driver hitting on me. It can be the worst situation cause you are all alone in the vehicle together.
Yes because hitting on you = potential rape?? Give me a break. Get over yourself. I'm sure if you thought he was good looking....he suddenly wouldn't be so creepy, but the cute cabbie lol

Oh and I don't get the alcohol reference? What does that have to do with being raped at knifepoint and gagged?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM

449 posts, read 877,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

My apologies, if I gave you the impression that I am blaming the victims. It was just a generalized statement made so as to bring about how women can be victimized, whether they use alcohol or not. In this case, we really do not know all the details, they would come out later, during the trial.

The point I was trying to bring about is that everytime I see a rape, attempted rape, or killed, it is usually a woman, and in most cases, she has been under the influence of alcohol.

There was a case in Miami, about a year ago where this model was burned and thrown into a recycle bin, then in NYC, about two years' ago, a very- brilliant student was raped and killed by a bouncer from a club.

Many young women do not drink responsibly, it is the opinion I have harvested by following true-crime killings, so in this case, it was just a generalized statement.

Regarding the perpetrator: It is a very sad stance for his family. He is Indian, from the Sheik religion, and comes from a very coherent, family structure, and extremely religious. Parents hold their children to any type of nuisance, and any type of nuisance culturally reflects on the family structure.

So we have loses here from both sides.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Yet another reason why there should be "women only" cabs, driven by women, for women. I remember once, in NYC, taking a cab from the airport, with my daughter. I was petrified with fear. The guy looked like he just left Rikers, and barely spoke English. It was night, I was in a strange place, and basically felt at complete mercy of this guy. It was very unsettling, even more so when he turned down a pitch black alley. Apparently this was a "short cut", I am telling you, I was scared to death. My little girl was 10 at the time.

That was one of the worst feelings I have ever had. And I have not ridden in a cab since then. Forget it, I will rent a car.

Yes, I was okay, and dropped off at my hotel, but it was just too scary.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
My apologies, if I gave you the impression that I am blaming the victims. It was just a generalized statement made so as to bring about how women can be victimized, whether they use alcohol or not. In this case, we really do not know all the details, they would come out later, during the trial.
How does your OP say anything about that.. and honestly, this girl probably would have been raped whether or not she was under the influence in a taxi. I don't see how a girl could fight off a fat Indian either way.

Quote:
The point I was trying to bring about is that everytime I see a rape, attempted rape, or killed, it is usually a woman, and in most cases, she has been under the influence of alcohol.
...really...

Quote:
Regarding the perpetrator: It is a very sad stance for his family. He is Indian, from the Sheik religion, and comes from a very coherent, family structure, and extremely religious. Parents hold their children to any type of nuisance, and any type of nuisance culturally reflects on the family structure.

So we have loses here from both sides.
Rape is actually a huge problem in India.. must suck for them now that they are in USA and can't get away with it.

The real loss is what happened to the VICTIM, you can't go off making a generalization because you think she "drank too much", we should be safe when we get into cabs, there is really no way of us knowing who is good and who is bad. These days, she'd have been called a racist if she thought that guy seemed bad. I hope the guy gets what he deserves in prison. We're one of the safest countries in the world, and we should continue to keep fighting off crime. When we turn into a country that begins to defend crime by blaming the victim, you know things are seriously going downhill.

Last edited by intelfan11315; 01-17-2012 at 06:35 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yet another reason why there should be "women only" cabs, driven by women, for women. I remember once, in NYC, taking a cab from the airport, with my daughter. I was petrified with fear. The guy looked like he just left Rikers, and barely spoke English. It was night, I was in a strange place, and basically felt at complete mercy of this guy. It was very unsettling, even more so when he turned down a pitch black alley. Apparently this was a "short cut", I am telling you, I was scared to death. My little girl was 10 at the time.

That was one of the worst feelings I have ever had. And I have not ridden in a cab since then. Forget it, I will rent a car.

Yes, I was okay, and dropped off at my hotel, but it was just too scary.
You do realize that cab driving is one of the most dangerous professions there is. They're working alone at night with cash picking up ANYONE and there are a ton of crazy people out there looking for a easy target. They're considered independent contractors even if they don't own the cab which is a complete joke. Many work for less than minimum wage in many area's and none have any benefits. And no hazard pay even though their job is way more dangerous than a firefighter or a police officer. It should be federal law to have at least a shield protecting the driver. Many cities don't even have that. It's an incredibly stressful job as well between dealing with the traffic, being attacked, being verbally assaulted by low life people who don't want to pay the fare. Truly a horrible job.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Yes because hitting on you = potential rape?? Give me a break. Get over yourself. I'm sure if you thought he was good looking....he suddenly wouldn't be so creepy, but the cute cabbie lol

Oh and I don't get the alcohol reference? What does that have to do with being raped at knifepoint and gagged?
Hitting on a customer, in any type of position, is unprofessional AND creepy, no matter how good-looking the person is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime