Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Advertisements

Sheena, here is a recent book, I may get it thanks for bringing up this topic:

Amazon.com: Forsaking All Others: The Real Betty Broderick Story (9780679416012): Loretta Schwartz-Nobel: Books

Elizabeth Broderick followed all the rules. She married young, then supported her husband while he got his medical degree and his law degree. She raised their four children and became a Super Mom, living the American Dream. Then, when her husband, Dan, turned 40, he decided he no longer needed her. He began a subtle psychological warfare against his wife of 20 years, convincing her that she was old, fat, and dumb. She believed him. What she couldn't believe was that he was going to give up their life together and marry a 20-year-old. Dan Broderick used his power as an attorney and doctor to strip Elizabeth of her future, her home, and eventually her children. She used the only power she had left: On November 5, 1989, she walked into Dan's bedroom and killed him and his new wife. Schwartz-Nobel ( The Baby-Swap Conspiracy , LJ 2/1/93) presents an in-depth look at the Broderick case, including exclusive interviews with Elizabeth from her prison cell. She examines the issues of psychological abuse and justice before the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I totally support Betty Broderick, and was not impressed with the made for TV movie about her. I think that she should have got off on insanity, or at least reduced charges. Just my two cents.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM

The made for tv movie was written from Dan's camp. You can Google more info on it. He had a powerful trial lawyer lobby behind him.

He made several million a year, while initially witholding Betty's alimony and child support. He was not an average Joe who couldnt afford child support, by law most men have to pay half their salary, until the child turns 18 or the spouse re-marries.

The case was extreme but the film portrayed him as a sterling character with no flaws, this is only because of his connections in the court system.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,648 times
I think there are / were several components to this story and tragedy.

Yes, she clearly supported her husband while he was in school; yes, she also enjoyed the rewards for his well-established and powerful law practice.

Yes, she was devastated and very hurt and angry when he opted to replace her for a younger woman. No question, that hurt and rage can create circumstances that push someone over the edge. She was over the edge. And, no question, he also retaliated which only exacerbated a bad situation to a worse situation.

I could be a bit more flexible and even lax with understanding the mental anguish and torture she felt, for herself; however, she did bring the kids into the equation. She left horrible messages on his phone that their children had to hear and endure and thus put the kids in an untenable situation; and, she went to their house, in the middle of the night, brought a gun... and that to me, reflects intent.

Lastly, she appears not to have remorse for what she did.

[Footnote: I, like, I am sure, many ex-wives, would love to .... perhaps there are lots of us who dream of doing something [smile - operative word: dream]... might even have cause to tie our former partners down, pour honey all over them and then bring in fire ants... but that does not mean we are going to do so, regardless of how tortured we might have been.....]

Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
A question to posters on the sympathic side:

What are your opinions on Betty Brodericks denied parole,
Do you think she should have been released?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,817 times
Betty Broderick ...
She should have controlled herself (understatement). Now she's in prison. Her husband is dead. Her children hate her. She screwed up (understatement). What she should have done was spend Dan's checks (surely he paid child support), kept a young lover, got plastic surgery (if it made her feel better), and find her own path. Instead, she screwed up.
How could she forgive herself for that? I understand her rage, but she should have had a few drinks, watch TV, and gone to sleep. Or she should have taken a nice, long drive, checked into a hotel, considered her options, and decide that she didn't want to throw her life away because of a selfish husband. She could have recreated herself in so many ways.

Yeah, she should have been denied parole. (Sorry, should have addressed this first). :-)

Last edited by Soda120; 03-13-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,648 times
Betty Broderick ..........What she should have done was spend Dan's checks [for sure after taking care of expenses for her kids and herself]; kept a young lover [and a gorgeous one at that], got plastic surgery [to end up looking better and finer than the women he left her for -smile] and find her own path [as they say, the best!!! revenge is a Great Life]. Instead, she screwed up [she certainly did].

I understand her rage, but she should have had a few drinks, watch TV, and gone to sleep. Or if she should have taken a nice, long drive, checked into a hotel, considered her options, and decide that she didn't want to throw her life away because of a selfish husband. She could have recreated herself in so many ways [absolutely].

Yeah, she should have been denied parole. (Absolutely!). :-)

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
A question to posters on the sympathic side:

What are your opinions on Betty Brodericks denied parole,
Do you think she should have been released?
I think she should get psych help., and probably parole being denied was warranted. But I do know in the jail system very little mental health services exist, its just makes offenders more violent, imo.

Again, I do not condone Betty's final action, but emotional abuse DOES exist and clearly she endured that from Dan.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I suppose you have to experience being dumped by a man for a younger woman, and have your children alienated from you, because they prefer being with their "fun" rich Dad. My ex definitely worked on the kids, giving them cars, credit cards, cell phones, that I could not afford. Who would you rather visit at Christmas? Rich Dad, or poor Mom? It is a very not so subtle "bribe", "if you are with me, you get this, and this, and this..." If you go visit your Mom, here is a $20 gift card for Gap...Heck, I would have gone to visit him for Christmas...he got my daughter a new Ipad, Iphone, Kindle..

I can totally relate to Betty, on a very visceral level.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,150 times
well she got a raw deal maybe but she could have done the smart thing and got what she could out of him by playing her cards right. Instead she let hatred take over. There are many ways to skin a cat and she picked the wrong way. I know we can't judge someone unless we walk in their shoes but still, being in jail and being a murderer can't be anyone's goal in life...I always say no one is worth going to jail for and that's kept me from killing both my ex's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime