Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times

Advertisements

lot of catholic priests and Jewish rabbi rape and molest. being they are part of the holy cloth God and their communites forgive them

Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
They are arrested and looked terrible ... then a lawyer has them cleaned up, hair cut, new suit and they go to court ... next they find Jesus.

What exactly is a Fundamentalist Church ... we have Baptist, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Catholics, Methodist, Church of God, Assembly of God and now we have those 10,000 member feel good churches that serves lattes or iced coffee, come dress however you want and then preaches on prosperity for all. We have a new one under construction and their Charlotte location has a website with their weekly services. I pulled it up on my laptop and the congregation was gathering as the Three Dog Night was singing over the loud speakers.

Is Jehovah Witnesses a fundamentalist group or the Mormons? Are the primitive baptist group that does the snake handling fundamentalist? I don't know if we have any fundamentalist around here.

OP I saw that Texas cheerleader mom story on BioTV too. Crazy woman.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Fundamentalist sects include Assemblies of God and other Pentecostal denominations, Southern Baptist, Church of the Nazarene, Church of Christ, (not United Church of Christ) and many independent fundamentalist groups. Primitive Baptists and mant off shoot Baptist groups are fundamentalists as are snake handlers.(Pentecostals)

They generally believe all of the bible is factually true, reject evolution, believe that women should be subservient to men, and believe in corporal punishment of children. There Churches are strict and authoritarian, often having members adhere to conduct codes that prohibit everything from social dancing at weddings, drinking, smoking, card playing and astrology.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
We can probably also include fringe cults, for example, David Kooresh, Waco TX, Ruby Ridge case in Idaho, and Warren Jeffs, FLDS leader as well. Those folks are extreme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

Last edited by jasper12; 07-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM

442 posts, read 615,437 times
Hmm...it would be interesting to note the religious background of every famous criminal.

I know a lot of people who identify themselves as being of a certain religious background, but rarely go to church.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
yes it would be interesting to have a list of criminals and their religious background...I bet ya loads believe in some deity and belong to a religious group. Even the ones who start(ed) their own cult like Koresh and Manson read that bible and got their stuff from it and believed in god...Some of Hitler's henchmen probably thought they were going to heaven too after what they did to those millions of people ....That shows how silly all that religious stuff is and how gullible you have to be to go for it and make excuses why people behave the way they do and preach about god all at the same time. I wouldn't want to sit in any paradise with the likes of all those creeps.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
Hmm...it would be interesting to note the religious background of every famous criminal.

I know a lot of people who identify themselves as being of a certain religious background, but rarely go to church.
It would be interesting and it will! I am currently in the process of doing it, which is why this information startled me.

The people I list are not lapsed and some of them are clergy or married to clergy.

I will have more names soon.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We can probably also include fringe cults, for example, David Kooresh, Waco TX, Ruby Ridge case in Idaho, and Warren Jeffs, FLDS leader as well. Those folks are extreme.

Ruby Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good point Jasper. Cults are generally "fundamentalist" - break away groups who want to get back to basics. Be "Extra Religious" if you will.

Fundamentalists are a fringe group by definition. They thought that the parent group was too mainstream and sought to make it more back to basics.

Generally that means strict. I am of the opinion that fundamentalism is a cult.

People are "love bombed" when they first enter. They feel instantly loved and accepted.
They are told that non-believers are either to be avoided or converted.
They cold hard truth about the group is presented when they seek membership - at which point, they have so many good friends, a happy warm feeling of belonging, and may have begun to believe the programing that has gone on.

The line between fundies and cults is very thin IMHO.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
John List was a Fundamentalist member of my own faith (Lutheran) who killed his entire family - 3 kids. his wife and mom in the 1970s in New Jersey. He was living well above his means and was facing banruptsy and foreclosure. So he killed them all and escaped assuming another identity.

In his letter to his Pastor he wrote that he could always repent but if his daughter was becoming a hippie and an actress she was more than likely smoking pot and might be headed to hell.

He felt he was saving their souls.
Interesting thread OP.

I had read about the List case, did he actually attend church?
Imo, in Lists case it was a form of mental illness, religious zealotry is sometimes a symptom of schizophrenia and paranoid delusions

Obsessions and Compulsions as a Distinct Cluster of Symptoms... : The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease

I think its hard to separate fact from fiction , some murderers use religion as an excuse for sociopathic behavior.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Having seen the movie, here's a link on Gein, (note: graphic,heinous crimes)
He was diagnosed with schizophrenia and as a sexual psychopath

As many here know , he was a composite for 'Silence of the lambs' and the Hitchcock movie 'Psycho'

Ed Gein - Criminal Minds Wiki

just my opinion, but people like this are just insane, I don't think its from religion, though they may claim it is to avoid incarceration/death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime