Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Lady goes crazy threatening violence on her 3 kids, dads contact social services on a Friday (they live elsewhere). Social services visits, but she's not home. By Sunday, she has drowned the kids, and slit the throat of the oldest who is six. Kids were 18 months, five and six.
Dads sue SS or social services (NY) and get 350k. Now mom wants her cut of the money.
She was deemed crazy by the court, so not found technically guilty. This means she could benefit from killing her kids.
To make matter worse, the State has spent over a million on her mental and physical care, so they have a lien against her. So, in my mind, they may have an interest in letting her have a share of this money, that was awarded the dads.

N.Y. mom who killed 3 kids wants cut of their estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
The more I see of crap like this the less I watch or read the ''news'' today.

I prefer to remain blissfully ignorant.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Very sad story, claud. The justice system to be fair picks up the pieces ATER CPS (which in most states is run very badly, short staffed and with little oversight).

State agencies are a big problem. But most states are bankrupt these days. In FL I knew a woman with Psy.D qualifications, and she was filling in for CPS (at a huge pay cut) bcs of their ineptitude. CPS needs a major overhaul, and funding. Not sure of the answers there.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Well, it's not the fault of CPS that someone is going to award damage payments to the killer. That isn't their call. They're also not allowed to barge in and rescue the kids without evidence, and they're very limited in how they're allowed to collect evidence. This is what happens when you allow social workers to do the work of police officers without giving them the powers of police officers. Child abuse is a crime and should be investigated the way any other crime is investigated -- by the police.

Another possible gap I can think of is why the woman's family didn't petition her into the hospital and take guardianship of the kids if they suspected she wasn't up to raising her own children.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Although the case would establish a precedent in New York if Brewer succeeds, she's not expected to see any money because of a $1.2 million lien against her for psychiatric counseling and other services she has received since her arrest, attorneys said.
~snip from ops article

agree, her family should have petitioned the court, but it takes 2 family members to require involuntary admission, Plus a board certified psychiatrist, in NY. Some families go into denial. I'm not familiar w. her Hx, but some families just avoid reality, on a psychological level at least.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:03 PM

The fathers of the children that she killed sued CPS and were awarded. She is certified crazy by the court, but can still demand part of THEIR award. If she's crazy, she has no right to demand anything of the court system AND if she wants to sue CPS for not stopping her from killing them, she can give that a shot, I suppose.
That would be absurd. Maybe she is being coaxed by the State, because they want the money.

dom, CPS accepted responsibility - there's no point in you're trying to defend now.
recap: Friday mom is told the father or fathers that she would hurt the kids, they call CPS, CPS pays a visit, no one answers the door. They go away. Mom kills kids on Sunday.
There was some talk of her hallucinating. Maybe there is an update to this story, I'll take a look.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Okay, this just got crazier. She has a newborn!

But now the father of two of the three children Brewer killed says he has been contacted by a lawyer trying to find an appropriate placement for the newborn Brewer had while in custody.
“She told me Leatrice had a baby while she was in that facility,” Innocent Demesyeux said in an interview with the I-Team.
It is unclear who that baby’s father is, or under what circumstances Brewer became pregnant. The state Office of Mental Health, which oversees Mid-Hudson, declined to comment, citing privacy laws.
I-Team: Long Island Mother Who Drowned 3 Children in Bathtub Gives Birth to 4th Child While Incarcerated | NBC New York

Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Did she have conjugal visits? . Thanks for update. Not defending it at all. NYS system is bizarre.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Conjugal visits are only allowed between married partners and not in a psychiatric setting. Sounds like staff investigation is needed.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 PM

As of Oct 11, she has given birth to a fourth child. They aren't telling who has care of the infant. If she is awarded any money, part or all of it could go to this newborn as her heir.

Quote:
The judge has scheduled a hearing on the matter on November 6.

Brewer's case drew has drawn attention to the actions of Nassau County's social services agency, whose caseworkers visited the mother's apartment two days before the killings and found no one home but neglected to schedule an immediate follow-up visit. Two social workers were later suspended.

Lawsuits against the county filed by the father of Brewer's one-year-old son, Innocent Demesyeux, and five-year-old son, Michael Demesyeux, were settled for $250,000. A lawsuit filed by the father of Brewer's six-year-old daughter, Jewell Ward, was recently settled for $100,000.
Read more: Leatrice Brewer gives birth to child conceived in psych ward | Mail Online

Seems to me, she should be filing her own suit againt CPS, because that money was awarded the respective fathers, not her.
It shouldn't be that hard to figure out who fathered this child. Check DNA from any man who had contact with her. Then file charges on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime