Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 04:56 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,179,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
He tried to book it that day, from what I've read. Cops asked him not to leave. True, they did bury daughter in Atlanta, but I just think it's beyond suspicious that you'd book out of town the day your daughter is murdered. I don't think it's one thing w/ these parents, though. Everything separately can be explained somehow. I think it's the totality of evidence, piece by piece that points to them.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you to some extent on the parents & the various inconsistencies re: their story, etc. Individually, some of these things may make sense. But, collectively, they paint a completely different picture. However, the most suspicious thing about this case is the bogus ransom note - even if there were nothing else suspicious about the parents, the house, etc. (and there was), the note in & of itself is, to me, evidence of a blatant cover-up. The way I see it, this note is the focal point of the case. Unfortunately, it didn't look like they could prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that PR or JR wrote this - which, again, means nothing. The way I see, handwriting analysis is an inexact science at best.

That being said, in this case there was plenty of other evidence as well. If the R.'s hadn't been wealthy & if this crime hadn't happened in an extremely liberal city, I have no doubt both parents would have been thrown in the slammer on Day 1. And, they would both probably have gotten life in prison, if not the death penalty.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-21-2015 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 05:22 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Henry Lee Comments. In December 2006, ït was reported that "several fibers were found on the duct tape covering JonBenet's mouth that were microscopically similar to a jacket worn by Patsy on Christmas night. Police considered that to be significant, but forensic expert Dr. Henry Lee has concluded that the fibers could have ended up there if "a mother kissed her child good night" and the fibers were transferred."

JonBenet Ramsey Case Encyclopedia / Fiber Evidence
Also, PR throwing herself on top of JonBenet's body after JR brought her upstairs from the basement could have resulted in fiber transfer from her jacket, since it was the same jacket PR had on Christmas night. (Another probable reason why this "evidence" went nowhere.)

Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
With me, the two pieces of evidence that Patsy was involved at least after the murder was the fact that a fiber that "was not inconsistent with" one of the fibers on Patty's jacket was found on the INSIDE of the duct tape against JonBenet's mouth. I learned that "not inconsistent with" was "police-speak" for "the same as".

Okay, so it is POSSIBLE that the fibers came from someplace else or that the fibers were there some time before the murder -- but what would common sense tell you?

Excerpts from the JonBenet Ramsey Case Encyclopedia (my italics and bold):

Fibers on Duct Tape
Levin Comments. In the August 28, 2000 Atlanta interview with Patsy, Bruce Levin stated: "Based on the state of the art scientific testing, we believe the fibers from her jacket....were found on the duct tape that is found on the mouth." (p. 200:lines 4-10).
Lin Wood Comments. In the August 29, 2000 Atlanta interview with John Ramsey, Lin Wood asserted: "We are told there are hundreds of fibers, for example, on the duct tape." This statement was unrebutted by Bruce Levin (p. 57, lines 5-6).
Henry Lee Comments. In December 2006, ït was reported that "several fibers were found on the duct tape covering JonBenet's mouth that were microscopically similar to a jacket worn by Patsy on Christmas night. Police considered that to be significant, but forensic expert Dr. Henry Lee has concluded that the fibers could have ended up there if "a mother kissed her child good night" and the fibers were transferred."
If the fiber(s) that possibly matched PR's jacket fiber was found on the INSIDE of the duct tape that was over JBR's mouth, that fiber would NOT have gotten there if PR threw herself on JBR's body after it was brought up from the basement - unless the duct tape were partially taken off at that point. I guess I agree that fiber could have gotten there if PR had kissed JBR goodnight prior to the crime.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
that fiber would NOT have gotten there if PR threw herself on JBR's body after it was brought up from the basement - unless the duct tape were partially taken off at that point.
JR ripped the duct tape off JonBenet's mouth when he found her.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,675,377 times
Inside duct tape, father would have had to have her coat fibers on him (possible), but then we must take an added leap to say that transferred to daughter's body (possible), but then another leap to the inside of duct tape. That's one too many leaps! Getting a fiber inside of the tape, as he ripped it off, would mean it would have to drop down and hit inside the tape at the exact moment he took the tape off. How many fibers would he have had on him? Quite a few for one to lodge inside the tape, but very unlikely or not even possible. Forensic people would know odds of that one. I could see if a fiber or two landed on daughter's body through him, maybe, but not inside tape. No, that to me, was more likely direct transfer from momma to her during the taping.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Inside duct tape, father would have had to have her coat fibers on him (possible), but then we must take an added leap to say that transferred to daughter's body (possible), but then another leap to the inside of duct tape. That's one too many leaps!.
If she was wearing the coat the night before, that might be likely. Also, who knows what he did with the duct tape? It--or parts of it--may have been laying on her body after he ripped it off. And where's the link to any credible evidence about fibers being inside the duct tape? From what I can see, that was someone's blog.

If this evidence was dismissed, I question whether they actually ever found her coat fibers on the inside of the duct tape. Like the DNA evidence, the suitcase, the palm print on the door, the shoe print....what happened to all of this "evidence"? And were these things really found....or media hype like so much else on this case?

Quote:
I learned that "not inconsistent with" was "police-speak" for "the same as".
I've never heard or read this. Is that your opinion?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:29 AM

Ramseys suspected immediately after the crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weSxDOI77s

Old 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM

19,852 posts, read 9,412,312 times
To CA4Now --

When I said that I learned that "not inconsistent with" was "police-speak" for "the same as", that was something I read in one of the books or articles on the subject and not just some "casual observer's" opinion -- although I will admit that I MIGHT have paraphrased it. Sorry I cannot be any more specific as to exactly who wrote it or where I read it, as I have read many articles and three books on the JonBenet murder.

And in one of the excerpts I quoted, that is what I am fairly sure that is what Dr. Lee were saying, too. Again, though, he did NOT say that the fibers came from Patsy's jacket, but that the fibers were from the same material -- so I don't think it is too big a leap to say, "Well, okay, the fibers on the duct tape came from Patsy's jacket -- but it is not CERTAIN how and when they got there."

Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,584,831 times
Quote:
He tried to book it that day, from what I've read. Cops asked him not to leave. True, they did bury daughter in Atlanta, but I just think it's beyond suspicious that you'd book out of town the day your daughter is murdered. I don't think it's one thing w/ these parents, though. Everything separately can be explained somehow. I think it's the totality of evidence, piece by piece that points to them.
She wasn't found until 1:30pm, coroner arrived at around 8:30 pm. Jon Benet weren't buried until the
31st, 5 days later. Nite of the 26th, search warrant and collection in the home. Generally, during search
doesn't family leave? So, I think going to Atlanta
that fast were based on this. John knew they'd serve warrant for search, that much inevitable and never returned to the home again. PRs sister gathered a few things for the funeral with police assistance. Notations made of anything removed. So, this may be the one exception for benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:49 PM

OK, this last post brought up a good point re: the timing of the JBR funeral:

If JBR had passed of natural causes, I can see why the parents would want to bury the body right away & have a proper funeral. Completely understandable if this had been the way it happened.

However, obviously JBR was killed in a heinous way - so, wouldn't the parents want to let the authorities take some time to perform the autopsy & find out the cause of death, remove any evidence from the body (if there was any), etc.?! I know an autopsy was done, but it just seems to me that the whole thing was rushed so that the parents could bury the body, therefore not giving the authorities enough time to do their job. I strongly feel that if the parents were really interested in finding out who committed the crime, they would not have rushed to have the funeral right away.

Not that the people conducting this investigation could find their a$$ with two hands anyway....

Re: the fibers on the duct tape, I do agree that this could have been transferred from PR to JBR in an innocent way (i.e., kissing her good night, etc.). That being said, it still doesn't mean that the fibers weren't transferred by PR to JBR in another, more insidious way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime