Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 10:19 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times

Advertisements

They did a 2 hour story on Dateline last night. Most of it I already had heard but it was interesting to see her sisters and father and friend Janey talking about her. Her one sister still can't talk about her without breaking down in tears.

The one thing I didn't know is that a thin rope had been left at the scene. Up till now I thought Stephanie had broken in to snoop when she assumed everyone was at work. And when Sherri unexpectedly came downstairs a fight ensued.

But now that I know about that rope, what had she been planning to do with that? You don't need a rope to snoop or even steal. I can't think of one thing to use it for except to tie someone up, or to use it as a garrote. Sounds like she planned to hurt her from the beginning.

I wonder if Stephanie called the house before she went, and when Sherri answered unexpectedly, Stephanie just hung up. I wonder if she went over there knowing Sherri was home alone, and planned to kill her? Maybe she was going to tie her up with that rope so she'd have a chance to verbally confront her first. But Sherri was stronger than Stephanie thought so she was unable to get her under control and was unable to get the rope tied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 03:09 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,235,542 times
Stephanie is receiving $72000 pension a year while in prison.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:14 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
They did a 2 hour story on Dateline last night. Most of it I already had heard but it was interesting to see her sisters and father and friend Janey talking about her. Her one sister still can't talk about her without breaking down in tears.

The one thing I didn't know is that a thin rope had been left at the scene.
I don't recall anything about a rope from the book The Lazarus Files.

Interesting review of the book, and how much evidence the LAPD initially disregarded in this crime.

Do SoCal Police Agencies Protect Their Own Murderers From Justice?
https://ocweekly.com/stephanie-lazarus-lapd-murder/

Old 09-10-2021, 04:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,368 times
Amazing that a cold case that was resurrected after a couple of decades being unsolved, has a killer named Lazarus as the suspect.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Amazing that a cold case that was resurrected after a couple of decades being unsolved, has a killer named Lazarus as the suspect.
Agreed. And it demonstrates how just one dedicated person (and some DNA) can solve a crime.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:02 AM

Lazarus has been recommended for parole.

John Taylor, an attorney who represented Rasmussen’s parents during the trial, said the slain woman’s siblings and widower, John Ruetten, attended the parole board panel hearing Thursday (11/16/23), held via Zoom, during which several of them spoke. The panel hearing is part of a multi-step process for the granting of parole.

Taylor said the siblings were shocked that the board would recommend Lazarus for parole.

The parole board panel’s recommendation of parole for Lazarus is the first step in the process and does not immediately grant her release. The decision will now undergo a review by the California parole board. If it passes, Gov. Gavin Newsom has 120 days to approve or deny granting parole.

If all goes off without a hitch for Lazarus, she could be released from prison in six months, according to Taylor.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ded-for-parole

Old 11-18-2023, 11:40 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,070,996 times
I think she needs to stay right where she is.
And, I hope Gavin thinks so too.

Old 11-26-2023, 05:45 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
I'm not highly familiar with California. What typically happens in a case where a person bumped off another person in similar or mostly similar circumstances? Would the parole board that recommended parole for Lazarus typically also recommend parole in less known cases?

This case has to go before the state parole board. Do they typically agree with the lower level parole board on granting a person parole?

If the state parole board approves of parole, it goes to the governor. Does the current governor typically grant or not grant parole?

Does the ethnicities of the criminal and victim in this case have any effect on whether Lazarus gets parole?

I'm surprised she was recommended for parole. There was a famous case in New Hampshire where the murderer, Pamela Smart, committed homicide in her early to mid 20s and is still in prison now in her mid 50s. OTOH, I just recalled the penalty for what Smart did, at least back then, was life without parole.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
If the state parole board approves of parole, it goes to the governor. Does the current governor typically grant or not grant parole?
It depends on the crime. Gov. Newsom repeatedly denied Leslie Van Houten parole, although he did not block her final release.

Quote:
Does the ethnicities of the criminal and victim in this case have any effect on whether Lazarus gets parole?
Doubtful. This was a brutal, premeditated murder. I hope she serves her full term.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:33 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
I'm not highly familiar with California. What typically happens in a case where a person bumped off another person in similar or mostly similar circumstances? Would the parole board that recommended parole for Lazarus typically also recommend parole in less known cases?

This case has to go before the state parole board. Do they typically agree with the lower level parole board on granting a person parole?

I'm surprised she was recommended for parole. There was a famous case in New Hampshire where the murderer, Pamela Smart, committed homicide in her early to mid 20s and is still in prison now in her mid 50s. OTOH, I just recalled the penalty for what Smart did, at least back then, was life without parole.

Most parole boards require that the inmate admits that they committed the crime and that they show that they are sorry before parole is even considered. Last I knew, Lazarus was still maintaining her innocence. Did I miss something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime