Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 04:24 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
No moral grandstanding or agenda' s. Though, no doubt will misinterpreted as such.

DNA MISTAKE PEGGED OREGON MAN AS 'GOLDEN STATE KILLER'
His daughter said authorities never notified her before swabbing her father for DNA in his bed a rehabilitation center, but once they told her afterward she understood and worked with them to eliminate people who conceivably could be the killer.

https://www.google.com/amp/abc11.com...iller/3409353/

No agenda understood. I saw this as well. Took a lot of different ways to finally catch the __________.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:39 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
So they suspected he was a cop, they suspected he had an ex named Bonny in his life, and he got fired for stealing dog repellant and no one ever suspected this guy?? Not to mention the crimes followed him to his second job as a cop when he moved? I hate to play Monday morning quarterback but that’s a little surprising.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
So they suspected he was a cop, they suspected he had an ex named Bonny in his life, and he got fired for stealing dog repellant and no one ever suspected this guy?? Not to mention the crimes followed him to his second job as a cop when he moved? I hate to play Monday morning quarterback but that’s a little surprising.
They just never managed to tie it all together. Sad, but true.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Someone online has made a timeline of his life interspersed with all known activity of the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker. Eerie how things line up so well.

https://image.ibb.co/e09ZjH/deangelo_timeline6.jpg

Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
I watched 48 hours the other night about this case. The LEO being interviewed, when asked why the different jurisdictions didn't band together to catch this guy, said that unfortunately the various agencies just didn't share information. I know this to be true from reading one of Ann Rule's True Crime books, perhaps the I-5 Killer.

The I-5 Killer (Randy somebody or other, met Diane Downs of Small Sacrifices at the prison next door to his) killed in California, Oregon and I think Washington State. Each jurisdiction wanted the glory of being the department that caught this guy, as it was a major media story. Didn't matter what the criminal was doing or where he was, it was just important to get the glory and praise from being the department that made the arrest. That was the attitude back in those days.

That realization (actually written in the particular book) really took my innocence away about law enforcement. I couldn't grasp what I had just read. Of course I was young and naive then and really thought that police work was really about getting the bad guy off the street and protecting the public. It never occurred to me then the politics in every single thing in life. Burst my bubble, that's for sure.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
It is surprising taking into consideration at the time of arrest police said DeAngelo wasn't a suspect on their radar until recently.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
"Investigators managed to gather DeAngelo’s DNA from items he had thrown away, and took the DNA to the lab for analysis. A day later, the DNA was found to be a direct match to that at the murder scenes in Ventura and Orange counties. The discovery provided “overwhelming evidence” that DeAngelo was the murderer.

Authorities decided they would examine a second sample to ensure they had the right person. On Monday evening, the results from a second testing proved to be “astronomical evidence” that DeAngelo was the criminal police had been searching for.

Authorities believe the Golden State Killer raped 51 people, murdered 12 and burgled hundreds of homes in California between 1974 and 1986. The crimes ceased decades ago, and the killer’s identity remained a mystery. Although the case went dead over the years, police never stopped searching for clues."

How Was the Golden State Killer Caught? DNA From Relative on Genealogy Website Was Key
When did he have time to do his police work?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:52 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"In the mid-1970s, the police department in the Central Valley farm town of Exeter was small, with fewer than 10 officers patrolling what was a population of about 5,000.

One officer was Joseph DeAngelo, who arrived in 1973. He worked there for three years, known for his professionalism and ambition in the field and his aloof, cool nature to his colleagues."

As a young cop, Golden State Killer suspect was aloof, ambitious, 'always serious'

Old 05-01-2018, 08:01 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
You wonder if some, any, of the crimes were done while "on duty." Can't see how that could be, but with this guy you never know. Brazen enough to stop during crimes and have a snack, apple pie one time. Eat a turkey after murdering 2 people. Or, have a beer before he left. Stayed in some victims homes up to 3 hours! Has there ever been a criminal whose done this?! I doubt his hunger strike will last too long based on his history & I doubt he'd like a feeding tube. Probably need consent from family for that one (if he becomes unconscious).

Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Someone online has made a timeline of his life interspersed with all known activity of the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker. Eerie how things line up so well.

https://image.ibb.co/e09ZjH/deangelo_timeline6.jpg
Very interesting link, thank you.

Looks like he stopped for 5 years when his first child was born, then one more to get it out of his system? He either stopped getting enjoyment from his crimes, or he was able to control the impulse. Hope he talks and explains, but I bet he doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime