Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:29 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,128,791 times

Advertisements

It is truly wonderful. Kudos to the police.

I started following this case 10-12 years ago, and always hoped that they would catch this guy along with the Zodiac, though I never though either were really in play aymore. Now there can be some closure for his victims. No matter how limited and delayed, it is better than nothing.

Very sick human being who did not deserve the time he had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 03:11 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,582,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
At the news conference, they said he was NOT a suspect on their list at any point.There's missing information here for sure. They said DNA technology a few times, but what led them to his door? At 52:22 they ask her this. It's not the loudest to hear though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ler/550758002/

This case is over 4 decades old, perhaps retesting of evidence with newer dna technology??

From previous links posted, some seriously impressive investigative work was done outside of law enforcement.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:34 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,714,341 times
Police still mum on how they determined he was a suspect and how they got the DNA sample from him. Maybe someone, after all these years, broke their silence about him knowing what he did? Or the recent publicity about the killer from TV and books had someone voicing their suspicions? Maybe even the familial DNA match as some mentioned.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,673,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
This case is over 4 decades old, perhaps retesting of evidence with newer dna technology??

From previous links posted, some seriously impressive investigative work was done outside of law enforcement.
I'm wondering about all of it. The one DA or whoever he was on HLN said he could only say "DNA technology" and that "it had NOT been in their DNA databases." ? Not sure what that means. He was tight lipped.

It's beyond amazing though!

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 04-26-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
The sheriff made a comment about a DNA clue narrowing down the possible suspects from "the whole world to just a few hundred possible people." Sounds like one of his relatives took a DNA test and the police already had his DNA there waiting for a relative hit. Then it was just a matter of figuring out which one of his relatives could be the suspect and getting actual DNA from that suspect.

I'm not sure if the police are ever going to say exactly how they got there--particularly if it was Ancestry or 23&Me--the companies wouldn't want the adverse publicity.
Yes, that's what I think is possible. We discussed this last evening w/ friends.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:31 AM

2,411 posts, read 4,463,032 times
They got his DNA by going through his trash--that was alluded to yesterday. It's the "DNA pointed us to him" part that they're being tight-lipped about.

Hopefully more will come out.

Turns out he worked at a local grocery store--Save Mart--for years.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I was talking to my co-worker from Sacramento who was familiar with this case. He said something along the lines that his family knew of a D'angelo, but I don't know how common that surname is in that area. His grandparents were cops too.
He was born in Bath, NY. I grew up in NY state so somewhat familiar w/ that area, by word of mouth. Lots of Roman Catholic Italians in NY state regions. Cops/investigator somewhere mentioned knowing he was connected to "Catholicism." but never let that out till now. I saw it somewhere about that.

Interesting his grandparents were cops, too. Father stationed in Korea (I saw on one of those Crime Sleuth boards, however accurate that info is). I do wonder about his background, his childhood must have been brutal. No excuse, just wondering about the psyche of someone like this.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
They got his DNA by going through his trash--that was alluded to yesterday. It's the "DNA pointed us to him" part that they're being tight-lipped about.

Hopefully more will come out.

Turns out he worked at a local grocery store--Save Mart--for years.
OMG. Wow, grocery store check out! Somewhere said he was married twice and 3 daughters, one living w/ him w/ granddaughter. Wow is all I can say. Poor children they didn't deserve that father.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:04 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,801,173 times
All this talk makes me forget the cornerstone of our judicial system: innocent until proven guilty.

There will be a trial (unless he waves that right) in which the government has to prove his guilt.

In the meantime, the police arrests someone, so he must be guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime