Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That is what crazy people who hide behind the internet do to others if they can. There was a woman who was cyberbullies and she committed suicide a couple of years ago.

Nicole Mittendorff
https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016...lying/slide/1/
That's very sad. I looked at that link. She was so beautiful and young.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Flying monkeys are common, a term used in stalking and harassment cases; those who'll victimize, harass and stalk on someone elses behalf.
http://www.thriveafterabuse.com/release-flying-monkeys/

Last edited by virgode; 01-21-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 08:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Not really, just threatened by an ex's aunt for "breaking my ex's heart" meanwhile that ex broke mine by not saying anything the last time I saw her...

Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Flying monkeys are common, a term used in stalking and harassment cases; those who'll victimize, harass and stalk on someone elses behalf.
Release the Flying Monkeys! – Thrive After Abuse

There was a photographer whose business had to close down because she was harassed online by another woman who was a blogger and had lots of followers post negative reviews of her business. I guess they were flying monkeys. The photographer eventually sued and won a million dollar verdict.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...-must-pay-108m

Old 01-21-2018, 11:06 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
My friend is a strong anti Vaxer and posts about it a lot on Facebook. She's gotten people so riled up against her she's had to file police reports. They've sent her computer viruses and slander her name everywhere. There's lots of crazy people out there

Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 AM

383 posts, read 430,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
IMO, the police should have tried to help you because it sounds like this person was trying to sic a mob on you; as a result, you could have been a victim of violence, someone throwing a brick through your window, etcetera. Hopefully that person has moved on, but probably to a new victim.
Thank you so much. (I mean, really, thanks.)

This is exactly the line of reasoning I presented to the police. "I" (meaning the impersonator) targeted stories online about any hot-button social/racial issue in the area, and then posted comments that would bait opponents to whatever happened to be at stake. I begged the District Attorney for help specifically because "I" baited 1) gay community leaders; 2) minorities new to the area; 3) fill-in-the-blank. "I" even posted a photograph of a minor unknown to me giving the three-finger salute, to show how "disrespectful" the entire minority group is. This was terrifying.

The D.A. told me to go to the town mayor if the police chief wouldn't help, which I did. I got no help then (early 2016) and did not know that the mayor, an elderly tavern owner, is reputed to have a drinking problem. He was re-elected handily in November's mid-terms.

I have learned I'm not the only citizen the police chief has singled out at random for conduct so unbecoming. One guy won a settlement against him in state court for a matter so unique, identifying it might identify me. This guy wasn't even a resident of our municipality, just passing through. I learned about it when this menace to society pulled off the road one afternoon to help me with yardwork.

My point is to let anyone who might read this thread know that online impersonation is a "gift" that just might keep on giving. Never, ever, post your photo and name together online. If anyone here believes in the power of prayer, I'd appreciate a short request to the Man Upstairs that in the coming months, I find a place where this ugliest of memories can fade, because the police took what was bad and made it so much worse. I'd appreciate a prayer that I find a place where law enforcement are kind and great examples of their profession.

God bless.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Release the Flying Monkeys! – Thrive After Abuse
Yes. Thanks for reminding me of a great term.

The "pack" mentality exists online, and an online pack can number in the thousands.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That is what crazy people who hide behind the internet do to others if they can. There was a woman who was cyberbullies and she committed suicide a couple of years ago.

Nicole Mittendorff
https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016...lying/slide/1/
I would be lying if I said that that option did not present itself to me before (praise God) I was strong enough to carry the fight by myself and prevail. To God be the glory.

But I hate where I live now, because law enforcement not only could have helped me, they were duty-bound by state criminal code to help, and did not.

May that lovely young lady rest in peace.

Last edited by Purplecow; 01-22-2018 at 03:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 08:05 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,960,205 times
You are receiving these messages through private messaging on a forum. Have you contacted the forum moderators, provided the threatening messages, and requested that they take action?

A message at the same time each week does sound like a bot. Moderators can identify location / origin of the user through IP address, and determine whether the email attached to the user is real.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post

My point is to let anyone who might read this thread know that online impersonation is a "gift" that just might keep on giving. Never, ever, post your photo and name together online.
What about social media profiles? I have one, although it has strict privacy settings.

I have always used a pseudonym elsewhere online. As soon as I started using the internet years ago, I would never post my real name anywhere. I was bullied in junior high by a guy who stalked me even after high school graduation. At that point, I got an unlisted phone number. Then 20 years later, he found me on FB and sent me a PM. I will never know why he was so obsessed with me.

Although I don't know why online group you were posting on, some moderators will delete your profile or ban you, if you report harassment. They will do nothing to the person who does the harassment. Some of these places even encourage cyber bulling; one forum that I used for a while wouldn't allow posters to ask someone to stop posting to them. It was considered a violation of terms of service if you asked someone to leave you alone! The more people who use these sites, the more money they get. Sometimes they even employ trolls to stir things up and get more people posting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime