Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:02 PM

38 posts, read 161,761 times

Advertisements

Question to the forum: Should I contact law enforcement or legal authorities after finding a bullet hole in my privacy fence?

DISCUSSION: I have a long, double-paned, white vinyl privacy fence (about 135 feet) on my property. While recently beginning my annual cleaning of the fence, I discovered a new, clean hole through one of the panels. My non-professional forensic analysis has led me to conclude that the hole could not have been made by anything else but a bullet. Since the panel has two layers, the entrance and exit hole allowed me to place a long, straight wire through each of them. Hence, although not scientific, I was able to determine an estimated trajectory and possible origin of the bullet. Regretfully, the estimated origin of the bullet is an area where a friendly neighbor often discharges a high-power rifle. I live in a semi-rural subdivision which allows weapons to be legally discharged (safely). I know I can't prove the bullet originated from that site. But, it really bothers me that someone could be so unsafe and inconsiderate to fire a weapon toward my occupied house. Worse yet, the trajectory and estimated origin of the bullet leads me to conclude the bullet was not fired accidentally. In other words, I believe there is a strong chance the bullet was fired at the fence, deliberately. The details that led to this conclusion are too extensive to discuss here. You would need to see the relative location and details of each property and the estimated trajectory to understand my rationale.

So, I know contacting law enforcement is an option. Before considering that step, I am considering hiring a professional forensic analyst to take a look at the evidence. Of course, I don’t want to cause any trouble in my nice, quiet neighborhood. I plan to be here for a long time. Then again, if I let it go without doing anything, I may be jeopardizing my future safety as well as the safety of the neighborhood.

What would YOU do, and what do you think I should do?

If you have any training in forensic analysis, I'd especially like to read your opinion.

In advance, thanks to all for your constructive commentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Have you looked for the bullet? If you can determine that it hit soft ground, you might be able to locate it with a metal detector. If you can find it, you have evidence that can tie it to a specific gun.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Scary situation. Definitely serious. I would contact the authorities immediately.....any evidence should be discovered by them......then you should follow the course of the law regarding this neighbor.

Last edited by JanND; 05-18-2018 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Since you call the neighbor "friendly", I think I'd contact him first. If he's a whacko nut, then don't.

What do you suspect, in this case? That the neighbor got a little tipsy and misfired? That someone was purposely shooting at your home?

I think I'd call the neighbor over, have a look at your fence, and ask if that was possibly a stray bullet of his and could he aim the other way?

Is it legal in your area to fire that kind of gun?

Old 05-18-2018, 07:33 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
If he is a friendly neighbor, go talk to him about it and ask him to come see your fence, or you can have the police talk to him about it.

Is hunting allowed in the area?

The margin of error for ballistic trajectory analysis on both the horizontal and vertical axis is +/- 5 degrees. For the distances involved a laser is going to be more accurate than the naked eye looking down a dowel rod. You can also use a hollow aluminum or copper tube of appropriate diameter and insert it through the entrance hole and then through the exit hole. Use the tube like a telescope and look through it. Move it 5 degrees along the x and y axis to establish a zone or cone of probability.

Who makes rules for the subdivision? You can let them know about the hole in your fence, and ask them to pass a rule requiring firearms to be discharged into a safe backstop area (which is just common sense).

Old 05-18-2018, 07:43 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
take a pic, go talk to them. Go from there.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Bullets can travel over a mile so I doubt your or any internet "forensic expert" can determine the origin from an entry and exit point from a double layered vinyl fence and even a spent bullet can likely put a hole in that type of fence. Police will be useless, they can take a report and that's about it.

I would still suggest you talk to your neighbor if you commonly hear gunfire from that residence. Otherwise if like someone said there is hunting nearby then forget it - welcome to the rural lifestyle.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:21 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
If the hole is clean on both sides.. It likely wasn't a bullet.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:43 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
time to buy a Barret

Old 05-18-2018, 05:18 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If the hole is clean on both sides.. It likely wasn't a bullet.
A high powered FMJ might leave a clean exit hole depending on the thickness of the plastic.

I'd just go talk to the neighbor about Jeff Cooper's Four Rules:

All guns are always loaded.

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime