Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:21 AM

909 posts, read 545,397 times

Advertisements

The woman Carolyn Bryant Donham falsely accused Emmett Till of sexual advances. She said on a segment of 60 minutes awhile back for viewing audience.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/u...stigation.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
So what's the purpose of one more inquiry? Everyone with enough ambition to do a little reading knows that Bryant and Milam were guilty, and that the "code of silence" among white Southerners, particularly those at the low end of the socio-economic spectrum, delayed, but did not prevent the facts from being brought to light.

In the end, reason and common sense won; Emmet Till is not going to be forgotten. But there remains a hard core of far-Left-leaning individuals who continue to stereotype and oversimplify in a campaign to harness the sentiments of the young and impressionable for a somewhat-less-sanitary agenda.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:50 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
^I think a part of it is the reason he was killed. The narrative was that he whistled at a white woman, but as a person who had family in that area at the time, there is also a narrative that he just “disrespected” her in terms of how he responded to her at the commissary. So, there is still a mystery in terms of what caused the incident in the first place.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:08 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So what's the purpose of one more inquiry? Everyone with enough ambition to do a little reading knows that Bryant and Milam were guilty, and that the "code of silence" among white Southerners, particularly those at the low end of the socio-economic spectrum, delayed, but did not prevent the facts from being brought to light.

In the end, reason and common sense won; Emmet Till is not going to be forgotten. But there remains a hard core of far-Left-leaning individuals who continue to stereotype and oversimplify in a campaign to harness the sentiments of the young and impressionable for a somewhat-less-sanitary agenda.
The purpose would be to perhaps vindicate Emmet Till from what was alleged had happened, and to nail the coffin shut finally in his murder. This case has rattled the south, and those parents and grandparents who shipped their kids to relatives to the south who stopped doing so for a generation fearing for their safety. There is really no closure in this awful case. Maybe there should be.

Also, since when is justice just for far-left leaning individuals? I guess in this political climate such a stupid statement is acceptable. To me it is not.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:27 PM

109 posts, read 66,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The purpose would be to perhaps vindicate Emmet Till from what was alleged had happened, and to nail the coffin shut finally in his murder. This case has rattled the south, and those parents and grandparents who shipped their kids to relatives to the south who stopped doing so for a generation fearing for their safety. There is really no closure in this awful case. Maybe there should be.

Also, since when is justice just for far-left leaning individuals? I guess in this political climate such a stupid statement is acceptable. To me it is not.
Vindicate Emmett Till? Are we to believe he did nothing wrong? Are we to believe Carolyn Bryant made everything up? Are we to believe Till was killed for no reason whatsoever?

What kind of closure are you seeking? The killers were acquitted and subsequently admitted what they did. They have since died. What is going to give you closure?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:57 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post
Vindicate Emmett Till? Are we to believe he did nothing wrong? Are we to believe Carolyn Bryant made everything up? Are we to believe Till was killed for no reason whatsoever?

What kind of closure are you seeking? The killers were acquitted and subsequently admitted what they did. They have since died. What is going to give you closure?
We are to believe whatever we please.

Not speaking for anyone else who has posted. But when some people in the judiciary look at the case they decide to re-open it. Others ask But why? What's the point? And the answer given is Because some of the guilty got away with it, that's why.

Last edited by LiaLia; 07-18-2018 at 02:56 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post

Every time I have been in a conversation about the Emmett Till case, someone inevitably brings up the story that he whistled at a white woman, as though that explains what happened. He didn't. He was a victim of a horrible act of violence, and the killers got away with it.

There is no closure. There is only truth to combat endless false narratives that somehow end up making the victim responsible for violent racist action. This was an unconscionable thing no matter what--had he whistled at her, it was still unconscionable--but the narrative should no longer be allowed to contain that lie. Because it matters. When the story is told that these adults tortured and killed a boy for no reason other than the color of his skin, it is different than saying they did it in retaliation for some reason. There will always be those that cling to that reason--he should have known better, he shouldn't have disrespected an elder, he should have kept to himself. They are hollow things, and it shouldn't matter, but it does.

My daughter asked me about Emmett Till once, and as I was telling the story, she said, "They did that for no reason?" and my husband said, "Well, he whistled at a friend of theirs." I was utterly shocked to hear him say that. I said, "No, he didn't, they did it because they wanted to." She was able to consider things, and asked, "Did they lie about it?" I told her they did. She said, "That's worse. They know it was wrong, and had to lie to make it okay to other people. But it shouldn't have been okay anyway." It matters a lot.

Emmett Till's life was stolen from him, from his mother, and everyone else, because some racist animals wanted to kill him. That should be the full story, with no excuses of, "Yeah, but he did whistle..."

Old 07-18-2018, 10:35 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
What is so bad about him whistling at her? Don't guys do that sort of thing all the time without getting killed for it? I always thought construction sites, for instance, were known for this.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM

776 posts, read 956,118 times
I thought that I remembered that Till's Father was executed by the US Army during WW2, for the rape and murder ( along with another US soldier ) of 2 Italian women.

He was buried in a military graveyard in France along with 94 other US service men, who had also been convicted of rape or murder, or both. The graves are behind a wall that keeps them hidden from the rest of the other graves. The graves are unmarked, and they face away from the other sections of the graveyard.

During WW2 the US executed over 250 men who were in the US military , who had been found guilty of capital crimes, At that time under US military law, rape was a capital offence. Each of these executions had to be personally approved by the US theatre commander, so in Europe that was General Eisenhower.

Here is a link to a non fiction book about the subject of US WW 2 military executions. The Fifth Field refers to where the hidden graveyard in France is located.

link. https://www.schifferbooks.com/the-fi...r-ii-5439.html

Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

You didn't think this through carefully.

Donald Trump, a republican, is President. This probe is being initiated by his Justice Department. Something similar happened when George W. Bush was President. A number of old civil rights cases were re-opened. For example, Byron De La Beckwith was tried again and sent to prison for killing Medger Evers.

This was a very savage murder, but it occurred almost seventy years ago. Personally, I see little to be gained by pursuing anyone else at this point.

However, the facts make it abundantly clear that this is not some leftist plot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime