Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times

Advertisements

There is as book called Devil's Knot about the West Memphis 3, about the 1993 murder of three eight year old children and the trials of three teens who were convicted of the crimes. All three were released in 2011. The book discusses one of the victim's stepfathers and how he might be connected to the murders. Why were these teenagers convicted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is as book called Devil's Knot about the West Memphis 3, about the 1993 murder of three eight year old children and the trials of three teens who were convicted of the crimes. All three were released in 2011. The book discusses one of the victim's stepfathers and how he might be connected to the murders. Why were these teenagers convicted?
Because they wore black, listened to heavy metal and satanic panic trumps logic.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
I listened to one of them, I can't remember the show, but I came away thinking they weren't guilty. Seemed like they were just the easiest of targets in order to close the case.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I listened to one of them, I can't remember the show, but I came away thinking they weren't guilty. Seemed like they were just the easiest of targets in order to close the case.
That's really sad.

I'm also familiar with this area of the country they were from, and it's very influenced by fundamentalist Christian religious beliefs.

It's scary, I'm actually worried my kids might get wrongly convicted for something some day. I know someone it happened to. Took a long time to clear their son's name. He'd been in the same area that a knife fight happened but he had nothing to do with it.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Sad? What's really sad, is that 3 young boys were murdered, and the ones responsible are free. And there are many books written about this case. Believe it.

For the uninformed, they weren't simply "released." Their plea of guilty to a lesser offense was accepted by a judge who vacated their earlier convictions, and they were released on time served for their previous sentences--if they stay out of trouble. If they don't, they'll get the 10 years imposed (and suspended by the judge) for their crimes.

When someone pleads guilty to a crime, they're not allowed to stand on the courtroom steps and flap their gums that they're innocent, which is why judges often require a defendant's allocution; they CAN do that with an Alford plea, and that is the only difference.

BTW, these lowlifes and their supporters are now looking for a pardon. That hasn't happened so far. And it won't.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Sad? What's really sad, is that 3 young boys were murdered, and the ones responsible are free. And there are many books written about this case. Believe it.

For the uninformed, they weren't simply "released." Their plea of guilty to a lesser offense was accepted by a judge who vacated their earlier convictions, and they were released on time served for their previous sentences--if they stay out of trouble. If they don't, they'll get the 10 years imposed (and suspended by the judge) for their crimes.

When someone pleads guilty to a crime, they're not allowed to stand on the courtroom steps and flap their gums that they're innocent, which is why judges often require a defendant's allocution; they CAN do that with an Alford plea, and that is the only difference.

BTW, these lowlifes and their supporters are now looking for a pardon. That hasn't happened so far. And it won't.
I agree.

I think those three are guilty.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:19 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:

Because the evidence and testimony convinced the jury they murdered three children.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree.

I think those three are guilty.
Just curious, why?

Some of them do seem strange but that's just an observation.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:08 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Just curious, why?

Jesse Misskelley confessed multiple times and in great detail.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:05 PM

17,572 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

No. An Alford Plea allows the defendant to continue to profess their innocence. It's a plea of guilt, so they are still convicted of the crime.

They did not plead to lesser charges. They were allowed to change their plea and be resentenced, based on the change in plea, where they were resentenced to time served.

In the eyes of the law, they are still guilty of 3 counts of murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Jesse Misskelley confessed multiple times and in great detail.

His confessions were about as accurate as Delahanty's description of an Alford plea. so.. There's that.

My problem with the whole case is that there's unknown DNA found at the scene, but none from the accused. Does that make them innocent? No.. But it does raise doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime