Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 06:34 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

I was just reading about a guy who ambushed a woman in her house by getting into her house through a basement window and hiding there until she went down to look for her cat and discovered him. I find that 95% of true crime cases I hear about in podcasts result in me muttering "Should've had a dog."

Nobody's going to break into my house unnoticed. My dogs are well known amongst my closest neighbors for not barking excessively, and only really getting excited by people coming onto my property. Neighbors would call the cops if I was out and the dogs raised a fuss for an extended period, and I would know to not come in if the dogs weren't behaving normally. They are my trusted guardians, and they make living my life a lot less stressful in any number of ways, but not the least by making me feel safe and secure in my own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 06:25 AM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Couldn't agree with you more. Dogs are the best line of defense against Intruders.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:29 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Sad yet true,most dogs will be the first taken out by lead or a blade when the intruder is on a mission.

Our family had a trained police dog. During the riots (late 60's), the intruder thought nothing of harming our dog.

Our cat just scurried under the cellar steps.

Dogs truly are loyal.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:18 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Dogs are the best alarm ever. Their keen senses and alertness, along with their ability to tell friend from foe, make them invaluable early warning systems.

I wouldn't count on one for home defense, but even then, any dog can have the courage to go after an intruder, and even a small dog can be a help in a home defense fight.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:10 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Dogs are the best alarm ever. Their keen senses and alertness, along with their ability to tell friend from foe, make them invaluable early warning systems.

I wouldn't count on one for home defense, but even then, any dog can have the courage to go after an intruder, and even a small dog can be a help in a home defense fight.
Agree, dogs are great alarms. My dogs go crazy when someone comes to the doors, but unless it is a grizzly, I don't believe they would hurt an intruder.

However, I don't want them getting involved. All they need to do is let me know there is someone at the door, I will put them in another room and see if that person is dumb enough to enter.

(YOU DOING OK, MIke?)

Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Agree, dogs are great alarms. My dogs go crazy when someone comes to the doors, but unless it is a grizzly, I don't believe they would hurt an intruder.

However, I don't want them getting involved. All they need to do is let me know there is someone at the door, I will put them in another room and see if that person is dumb enough to enter.

(YOU DOING OK, MIke?)
Yup. I'm fine, f5. I'll call you pretty soon. How are you holding up?

I agree; I wouldn't want my dog to be involved in a fight inside my house either.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Dogs are a great defense and sometimes the bigger the better. I was driving home today from a Home Depot run and pulled in a spot to check my phone. There was no road, it was only a gravel place for turning around.

As I’m sitting there, this big white van pulls in next to me, with no panel windows and the driver was just staring over. It really made me wish for my big dog, he’s 140 pounds and ready to rumble. Anyway, I drove off and saw in the rear view, this van was also leaving.

On a quiet country road, even during the daytime, there are all kinds. It seemed aggressive the way he pulled in and just sat there staring, not checking his phone or getting out to check a tire or something. Hope everyone stays safe during this epidemic. Dogs rule.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. I'm fine, f5. I'll call you pretty soon. How are you holding up?

I agree; I wouldn't want my dog to be involved in a fight inside my house either.
No dog fighting in my house. Any blood that needs to be cleaned up will be caused by you know who and you can only guess what!

Mike, sorry couldn't talk last night. However, I'm up at 2:30 AM to walk the dogs. Have to keep that social distance. (Even if that is the time I have walked my dogs for the past three years.)

Old 03-28-2020, 02:01 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Dogs are a great defense and sometimes the bigger the better. I was driving home today from a Home Depot run and pulled in a spot to check my phone. There was no road, it was only a gravel place for turning around.

As I’m sitting there, this big white van pulls in next to me, with no panel windows and the driver was just staring over. It really made me wish for my big dog, he’s 140 pounds and ready to rumble. Anyway, I drove off and saw in the rear view, this van was also leaving.

On a quiet country road, even during the daytime, there are all kinds. It seemed aggressive the way he pulled in and just sat there staring, not checking his phone or getting out to check a tire or something. Hope everyone stays safe during this epidemic. Dogs rule.
That's the serial killer vehicle of choice. Did you get a photo? Check his pic at the Post Office, or on LivePD.

Long ago I was in some training for something, maybe a CC class. The instructor, a cop, was quizzing the clas about dogs. "What's the best kind of dog to have in your home if you need an alert?" or something like that.

People were saying German shepherd, doberman, Irish wolfhound, etc. A light went on in my head and I said, "A barking dog." Right answer.

I've had friends who had attack-trained dogs. One guy had a pair of trained dobermans, they were trained to not bark until bad guy got inside and then go for him on command. Plus there was the .357 backup plan.

I personally would not have a pet whose ass I couldn't kick. Though it's rare, a dog can flip and go rogue at any moment for unknown reasons.

Two recent experiences with out of control dogs confirmed my belief.
A neighbor's 50-60 -poundish lab recently got into our shed chasing one of the barn cats. Fortunately I was outside and apprehended her, but it was still all I could do to wrestle her out of there. I'd have had to punch her head in or choke her to get some compliance if she'd been aggressive toward me, because she was out of her mind cat-crazy.

More recently two large lab-looking dogs DID get into the shed and caught and killed one of the cats.
I saw the scene out the back window, dead body and two wild dogs standing over him. I lit out the back door with a baseball bat, they took off at full gallop but I was two minutes too late for TJ anyway.
He was quite dead, a terrible death.
But in retrospect, had those dogs turned on me, the least I'd have needed was bear spray or two tasers, or a firearm. Two adrenaline-fueled dogs vs. one person with a ball bat is not good odds, unless I got in a couple of early disabling whacks.

Remind me to buy an aluminum bat next time I'm out.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

(YOU DOING OK, MIke?)
I agree. I just want my dog to alert me and let me handle it. I do not want my dog to get hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime