Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times

Advertisements

Holy crap I can't believe that a thread about a girls death was made into a racial issue. That is pathetic and shows the sick mentally of some.

My prayers are with her family. Very sad.

Oh and God Bless you Eddie my heart is breaking reading your story, I have two young children and it always hits way to close to home when you hear this kind of thing.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,313,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Keep in mind "the media" only reflect viewers -- they simply give people what they want, in exchange for dollars. If TV viewers turned off news about blonde girls but all watched news about the black girl on the porch, you know what stories would get more coverage.

So realize whose mentality is making you ill.
Not true. This is the common line of defense that many in the media will give when these type of disparities are pointed out. Their desire is to take the spotlight off of themselves and onto the "public." But the job of the media is not to act as a kind of cultural mirror, rather it is to set cultural boundaries and therefore create the acceptable ways of which people are supposed to act and react. The ratings game is actually a kind of "feed back loop;" an indicator of how successful the media is at impacting the ways people behave and interact with the larger society. Their job inherently is about manipulation not reflection.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,313,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Holy crap I can't believe that a thread about a girls death was made into a racial issue. That is pathetic and shows the sick mentally of some.
400 years of US history over rules that fantasy. In America, everything is racial.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
400 years of US history over rules that fantasy. In America, everything is racial.

Ugh please no it is not. It is what people make of it and there are some that are not happy unless they make it what they want it to be.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
It is hard. It's hard on the families. My oldest daughter would be 17 right now. However, some maggot grabbed her on her way home from school when she was 9 (we lived 2 blocks from her school). Raped her, strangled her with the laces from her own shoes. Then threw her naked bloody body into a trash bin. They never caught the guy that did it. We moved away from the area because I couldn't take living there anymore. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her, still.
I am so sorry. I cannot imagine the pain you must feel every day. This is why I only vote for candidates who are very tough on crime, and they tend to be conservatives. We have to stop making excuses for heinous subhumans. There is no life circumstance that is bad enough to justify becoming so cruel and heartless to another.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
It is hard. It's hard on the families. My oldest daughter would be 17 right now. However, some maggot grabbed her on her way home from school when she was 9 (we lived 2 blocks from her school). Raped her, strangled her with the laces from her own shoes. Then threw her naked bloody body into a trash bin. They never caught the guy that did it. We moved away from the area because I couldn't take living there anymore. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her, still.
I am so sorry for your loss. Nothing anyone can say can ease your pain. But know there are many people who include victims and their families and loved ones in their prayers. I hope that is some small comfort. God bless you and yours.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Things are changing, slowly. You and I know we're not there yet. Domestic abuse reporting can be and is different in many different cultures in our own country. I've posted my sister's and 18 mo old niece's murder by her abuser in the past. She was one of those women who didn't report the abuse. She was just going to run away from him but he stopped her. He was not convicted of her murder even though everyone knew he did it. My sister was partly responsible for that, for not reporting the abuse to the police. He went on to abuse another woman. She killed him. The police didn't even take her down to the station for questioning because she had reported the abuse. But, she too let him come back into her home many more times before she stopped him.

What's the answer? I'm sure I don't know other than the authorities, everywhere, have to start treating 'victims' equally. Laws are changing so a law enforcement officer can press charges against an abuser if the woman won't. That's a start.
I am sorry to hear about your sister/niece. It is very difficult to intervene in marital/family matters and if the police come--they are charged with keeping the peace so they can inform the parties of legal consequences but the chilling truth is that until a crime is committed they really can't do much.

Then if an arrest is made there has to be a court date and money/time wasted with additional stress.

In Atlanta, and I'm certain across the nation, the jails are overcrowded so the least of the offenders often receive shorter sentences if it comes to that.

Having been involved to a degree in such scenarios the best solution in my opinion is to do whatever you have to do yourself and bypass the legal remedies.

That won't stop the crazies from randomly committing acts of violence when the mood strikes but I don't think ethnicity plays a major role just timing. I'm glad I don't 'really understand' the pathology that drives people to inhumane acts--from what I gather there is a lot emotion involved and feelings do lead to unusual behavior when taken to extremes.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post

My prayers are with her family. Very sad.

Oh and God Bless you Eddie my heart is breaking reading your story, I have two young children and it always hits way to close to home when you hear this kind of thing.
I agree with you!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I think it is pretty pathetic that race was injected into this, and then politics. A young woman was murdered apparantly on campus right before her wedding. Show some pity for the person and her family, and if not that, at least have respectful objective discussion of the facts of the case.
On a side note, I was watching one commentator, a newspaper journalist, who happened to be black, discussing the "You Lie" controversy and how it was preceived as racist by some. His take was that as a black person, he and others have learned to view events through a racial perspective. Fair enough, given his age of at least 50. But I also thought that now might be the time to begin to learn to NOT view events through a racial perspective.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
This young woman has not been found. There was some bloody clothing found but she has not yet been located. Hopefully the unlikely will occur and she will be found alive and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime