Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times

Advertisements

Her parents had told her to never go jogging alone. Why she chose to will forever remain a mystery. I suppose it had much to do with feeling invincible at that age. We were all there at one time.

In an ideal world, anyone should be allowed to do what they want w/o the need to worry. However, we leave in a world that is far from ideal. It appears to me that CA and FL have more than there fair share of sexual predators. Being heavily populated with a warm climate is certainly a factor.

As a parent, I know what goes into raising a child. You put your heart and soul into it. And to have something like this happen is a pain I never want to experience.

There always seems to be enough money for fighting overseas wars, but never enough to safeguard our own right here at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
I just saw the news. I am so sad, and very angry. That creep should never have been out to attack another person. As far as I'm concerned there are some crimes, and this is one, that should have the person behind bars for life. To let someone out after only 5 years? That just makes me so angry. Is there nowhere we can be safe? This reminds me a couple of years ago I was walking on a trail with my daughter near our house, and it was so nice there, but I felt so uncomfortable because it was almost deserted, so I went back to the road. Found out later there had been several attempted rapes in the area. You can't be safe anywhere anymore it seems. Too many rights are given to those perverts. They have none as far as I'm concerned.
I can't imagine what her familiy is feeling. So sad.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Just some facts here: The crime to which the suspect pleaded guilty to in 2000 carried a maximum prison term of 11 years. The District Attorney's office recommended the judge impose a reduced sentence of six years, since the plea bargain avoided need for a trial, spared the alleged victim from having to come into court to testify at the trial, and because he had no previous felony convictions. This happens every day in courts all across the United States. I'm not saying it's right, but it's a fact of life in an incresingly crowded courts system, like it or not.
The suspect served five of the six years with time credited for good behavior and was released on three years' formal probation, which he got off of in 2008.
Before we start talking about "idiot" judges and the dreaded ACLU, let's know what we're talking about, ok?
Please include "idiot D.A." How about changing the laws in CA?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
When they let him out of prison, you would think they would make it MANDATORY that he gets rehab for this or that he would have gotten rehab in prison! Just punishing a person doesn't cure him or them of this. I think these people don't know why they're that WAY until they're TOLD. It gotta start somewhere to stop this. Noone is born this way.
You can't rehab evil.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM

181 posts, read 687,471 times
[quote=think first;13138837]Her parents had told her to never go jogging alone. Why she chose to will forever remain a mystery.

How do you know this? I never read this in any of the articles.

My daughter always had a small can of pepper spray on her key chain.

We had friend move to this area, 22 years ago and their daughter was this same, 17 and she asked if she could go to the mall and her mother said no, it's too dangerous.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
[quote=benice66;13143534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Her parents had told her to never go jogging alone. Why she chose to will forever remain a mystery.

How do you know this? I never read this in any of the articles.

My daughter always had a small can of pepper spray on her key chain.

We had friend move to this area, 22 years ago and their daughter was this same, 17 and she asked if she could go to the mall and her mother said no, it's too dangerous.

I've read a number of articles from different websites about this case. I'm not sure which one was where I found her parents telling her not to go jogging alone. But, it was in one of them. Teens do things on a whim all the time.

I'm not faulting her at all. Like all of us, she should be able to jog anywhere w/o concern for her safety. Sadly, that's far from the case.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
I've read a lot of posts on here where people are complaining about their safety and not feeling like they can go out and do things. In all honesty, people, you are more safe today than you were last week (when that animal was free on the streets). Last week, you felt safe, didn't you? I mean in a suburb of over 2 million people 1 or 2 horrible cases like this are the exception, not the norm.

It's horrible that this happened, don't get me wrong, but c'mon people, stop complaining about not feeling safe. Do evil terrorists also make you not want to fly on planes?

This is 100% my opinion and far from fact, so take it at that. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 PM

213 posts, read 823,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I've read a lot of posts on here where people are complaining about their safety and not feeling like they can go out and do things. In all honesty, people, you are more safe today than you were last week (when that animal was free on the streets). Last week, you felt safe, didn't you? I mean in a suburb of over 2 million people 1 or 2 horrible cases like this are the exception, not the norm.

It's horrible that this happened, don't get me wrong, but c'mon people, stop complaining about not feeling safe. Do evil terrorists also make you not want to fly on planes?

Let's you have/were to have a daughter, and she asked if she could go jog by herself, specifically on a trail with hardly anyone around. Would you let her because "she's safer now than last week"?

...Didn't think so.

So what if there's one less pedophile creep out in the neighborhood? Doesn't stop the rest of them from coming out and committing the same/a similar crime. It's been said that Chelsea didn't usually run alone, but she happened to be this time. It only takes one time.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM

181 posts, read 687,471 times
She NEVER should have gone alone, no matter what. The more populated the area, the more chance of this happening.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post

This is 100% my opinion and far from fact, so take it at that. Thanks.
Of course you are right. The same parents who now won't let their daughters go for a run alone wouldn't think twice about letting their kids get into a car and drive to school or down to the grocery store, when they are far more likely to die in a car accident than for something like this to happen during a run. It's just a matter of perception and fear taking the place of logic and reality, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime