Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM

12 posts, read 41,558 times

Advertisements

Why do people in Tucson seem to only spend $15 on a haircut at a chop shop versus spending a little more money on a haircut with a stylist that has had advanced education and experience. It also seems that they don't want to spend any money on coloring services. I hear that all the time. Don't people want to look good so they will feel good, or do they feel guilty about spending money on their hair.
Next time you go to the mall take a look around. It seems like there is no style at all in Tucson.
I spend $54 on my haircut every 6 weeks, not including tip. Color usually runs me $110. And if my guy raises his prices, I will pay it because he knows my hair and never been unhappy with my hair.

Please help me understand. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
I don't live in Tucson, I'm in Albuquerque, but the most obvious answer is the economy. I have found a happy medium by having my hair done for $40 at Regis at the mall, but it is still generally a generic hair do. My hairdresser can cut hair, more or less. For many people hair isn't that important. I try not to judge what others are doing with their hair and only focus on what I am doing with mine.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I don't live in Tucson, I'm in Albuquerque, but the most obvious answer is the economy. I have found a happy medium by having my hair done for $40 at Regis at the mall, but it is still generally a generic hair do. My hairdresser can cut hair, more or less. For many people hair isn't that important. I try not to judge what others are doing with their hair and only focus on what I am doing with mine.

It was even noticeable before the economy went down.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajana260 View Post
Why do people in Tucson seem to only spend $15 on a haircut at a chop shop versus spending a little more money on a haircut with a stylist that has had advanced education and experience. It also seems that they don't want to spend any money on coloring services. I hear that all the time. Don't people want to look good so they will feel good, or do they feel guilty about spending money on their hair.
Next time you go to the mall take a look around. It seems like there is no style at all in Tucson.
I spend $54 on my haircut every 6 weeks, not including tip. Color usually runs me $110. And if my guy raises his prices, I will pay it because he knows my hair and never been unhappy with my hair.

Please help me understand. Thank You.
And YOUR problem is...?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And YOUR problem is...?

Just curious since I hear it all the time, and was wandering the thought process? Is it because Tucson pays low wages, housing is getting more expensive, etc.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
If I could figure out a way to cut my own hair for free, I would. Getting a hair cut is almost as bad as going to the dentist. And what a waste of money! Then again I'm a guy.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Also i hear people complain about how they hate their haircut or color after they have had it done.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I hear you. I call my mother's house of worship The Church of Bad Haircuts. The congregation seems equally divided between oldsters with hair in colors not seen in nature, women whose hair hasn't seen a pair of sharp scissors since they graduated high school, men whose hair hasn't seen a pair of sharp scissors since they graduated high school, girls auditioning for Toddlers and Tiaras, and boys with tattoos where their hair should be.

I took my elderly mama to a well-known salon that shall remain nameless and waited in the car while she had her do. Every woman who came out of that place (which shall remain nameless, but it rhymes with Fadabout), had EXACTLY the same hairstyle. I guess it's mandated by law in Oro Valley, because even my mother got it.

In a desperate attempt not to look like I live in the 'burbs, I got my last cut at a hipster establishment downtown that is named after a neighborhood in NYC. Excellent cut, OK styling, very reasonable price, free parking, but the warehouse space didn't have any air conditioning, so I came out with a mop of wet hair. Ah ... that's Tucson.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
If I could figure out a way to cut my own hair for free, I would. Getting a hair cut is almost as bad as going to the dentist. And what a waste of money! Then again I'm a guy.
I could not agree more, Vegaspilgrim . . . A Necessary Evil.

Thank Goodness for Ball Caps.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I took my elderly mama to a well-known salon that shall remain nameless and waited in the car while she had her do. Every woman who came out of that place (which shall remain nameless, but it rhymes with Fadabout), had EXACTLY the same hairstyle. I guess it's mandated by law in Oro Valley, because even my mother got it.

Yes I know about fadabout. It seems like a cookie cutter hairstyle on everyone. I know the styles are trendy but does everyone have to look the same. If you ever notice sometimes 4 or 5 girls that have gone(not to the same location or stylist), they have the exact same haircut? Oh I see you noticed. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson