Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 PM

396 posts, read 925,301 times

Advertisements

Hi, I visited Tucson while on on a business trip (hope my boss doesn't read this forum) and am thinking about applying to UoA for grad school. We ate at a grill near the campus but the area was kinda dead (during the weekday at around 12PM). Saw a few cute girls which is a plus. Didn't spend too much time in the city though.

Anyhoo...would the university area be the only area for people in their 20's? I like to go out maybe a few nights a month. Are there any other suggestions? What about the crime... from the sound of it, it seems like it is pretty bad (then again I'm from chicago with one of the highest homicide rates... however, they are concentrated in certain areas and I consider the city safe for the most part). What about Tucson? Is crime pretty spread out or is it confined in certain parts?

I'm also thinking somewhere in Socal for school (SD or OC). I might just stick around with my current company but I'd like to get some opinions. My limited impression was that for a city of over half a mil, it seemed like 1/4 of that. Not too congested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
There are a jillion discussions on C-D about crime in Tucson that you can read via a simple search. Some people are, in my opinion, ridiculously hysterical about the subject. On the other hand, this is a border town, so car theft, identity theft, and drug-related crimes are not unusual. The vast majority of murders are related to drug gangs and if you don't live in a drug gang neighborhood almost any murder would be domestic or the result of a crazy person with a gun. (Remember, it IS very easy to acquire a stockpile of weaponry in all the Southwest states and it is a surprisingly common practice ... in Arizona, even if you are certifiably mentally ill).

An important thing people from the urban East and Midwest don't get about Tucson: We might have half a million people in Tucson and nearly half a million in other parts of Pima County, but they are spread out over 9,189 square miles. In comparison, Cook County, IL, has 5.3 million people in 1,635 square miles. So if you get bored here, you're not going to just get in the car and pop over to another neighborhood to try the clubs there. As for checking out nearby cities, Phoenix is about a two hour drive and San Diego is about six hours away. And you won't see much between except cotton fields and rocks between there and here.

If you like basketball, U of A is very B-ball-centric. I didn't go to school in Tucson, so I'll leave the subject of education for someone with experience. If you are a hiker, a biker, or a golfer, Tucson may be your paradise. But if you learn to love it here while you're in school, I'd hope your career goals involve medicine or financial services for retired people because those are pretty much the only growing fields here. This is NOT a corporate center. Not enough support services or potential employees for the Fortune 500. Not enough potential customers for most other businesses.

There are also dozens of "I'm coming to U of A, where should I live?" threads on C-D, so I'll also leave that topic to others. My general summary: The pros -- beautiful scenery; great weather; laid-back small town feel, good for an active lifestyle; less conservative than other areas of Arizona. The cons -- small-town living has a downside, too; it's still 1990 here; poor career potential; urban amenities quite limited; far from everything if you get bored.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
would the university area be the only area for people in their 20's? I like to go out maybe a few nights a month.
well, if you're going to be in school here at the U, you should live near school, I'd say....bike or walk to school instead of paying $500+ for an annual parking pass....and, yeah, plenty for a 20-something around school....the usual bars, stores, restaurants.....

do your research on the grad programs, of course....

I'm a UA grad and like the vibe here....it's not party-central or ultra-hip, but the UA and Tucson are great for people ready for what Tucson is....

as juke said, most Western cities are very spread out because land has always been plentiful and it's cheaper to build OUT than UP....almost all Western cities grew up well after the car was invented!....

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
There are a jillion discussions on C-D about crime in Tucson that you can read via a simple search. Some people are, in my opinion, ridiculously hysterical about the subject. On the other hand, this is a border town, so car theft, identity theft, and drug-related crimes are not unusual. The vast majority of murders are related to drug gangs and if you don't live in a drug gang neighborhood almost any murder would be domestic or the result of a crazy person with a gun. (Remember, it IS very easy to acquire a stockpile of weaponry in all the Southwest states and it is a surprisingly common practice ... in Arizona, even if you are certifiably mentally ill).

An important thing people from the urban East and Midwest don't get about Tucson: We might have half a million people in Tucson and nearly half a million in other parts of Pima County, but they are spread out over 9,189 square miles. In comparison, Cook County, IL, has 5.3 million people in 1,635 square miles. So if you get bored here, you're not going to just get in the car and pop over to another neighborhood to try the clubs there. As for checking out nearby cities, Phoenix is about a two hour drive and San Diego is about six hours away. And you won't see much between except cotton fields and rocks between there and here.

If you like basketball, U of A is very B-ball-centric. I didn't go to school in Tucson, so I'll leave the subject of education for someone with experience. If you are a hiker, a biker, or a golfer, Tucson may be your paradise. But if you learn to love it here while you're in school, I'd hope your career goals involve medicine or financial services for retired people because those are pretty much the only growing fields here. This is NOT a corporate center. Not enough support services or potential employees for the Fortune 500. Not enough potential customers for most other businesses.

There are also dozens of "I'm coming to U of A, where should I live?" threads on C-D, so I'll also leave that topic to others. My general summary: The pros -- beautiful scenery; great weather; laid-back small town feel, good for an active lifestyle; less conservative than other areas of Arizona. The cons -- small-town living has a downside, too; it's still 1990 here; poor career potential; urban amenities quite limited; far from everything if you get bored.
Wow, thanks for the stats on people to land mass ratio. It makes sense as to why there aren't huge cities on the SW and WC region. I'm worried about the car jackings since I love my ride.. I grew up in a neighborhood with some gangs but they have either moved or been all killed.

Its weird that UoA has a great entrepreneurship program yet Tucson isn't that great of a business environment. I also like skiing and seeing that you can do that in the winter is pretty cool when you are out in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
well, if you're going to be in school here at the U, you should live near school, I'd say....bike or walk to school instead of paying $500+ for an annual parking pass....and, yeah, plenty for a 20-something around school....the usual bars, stores, restaurants.....

do your research on the grad programs, of course....

I'm a UA grad and like the vibe here....it's not party-central or ultra-hip, but the UA and Tucson are great for people ready for what Tucson is....

as juke said, most Western cities are very spread out because land has always been plentiful and it's cheaper to build OUT than UP....almost all Western cities grew up well after the car was invented!....
Regarding "ultra hip" and party centric, I actually am not a big party guy.. just once in a while. I liked the vibe while I was over there (then again, I pretty much like alot of places with palm trees.. something about them). Are you a recent grad? Its good to see you stayed after graduating.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Are you a recent grad? Its good to see you stayed after graduating.
actually, I graduated in 1984, but it seems like just a few years......(wait'll you get to be in your 40s!)

I have much connection to Phx, also, and the two are quite different, if you're also considering ASWho....many Tucsonans hate Phx and it's big city/fast-paced/money-hungry/crowded reputation....and most Phoenicians have never "heard" of Tucson (!)....Tucson is poorer, dirtier-appearing, less flashy, much slower-paced, slightly cooler and rainier, but I like the slow pace and the greater "hometown" feel.... pros and cons to each, of course....more consumer choice, jobs, opportunity in Phx....but my BP always goes down every time I hit the road from Phx to Tucson.....more than you wanted to know, probably

Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
actually, I graduated in 1984, but it seems like just a few years......(wait'll you get to be in your 40s!)

I have much connection to Phx, also, and the two are quite different, if you're also considering ASWho....many Tucsonans hate Phx and it's big city/fast-paced/money-hungry/crowded reputation....and most Phoenicians have never "heard" of Tucson (!)....Tucson is poorer, dirtier-appearing, less flashy, much slower-paced, slightly cooler and rainier, but I like the slow pace and the greater "hometown" feel.... pros and cons to each, of course....more consumer choice, jobs, opportunity in Phx....but my BP always goes down every time I hit the road from Phx to Tucson.....more than you wanted to know, probably
haha... ASwho. Sounds like a civil war over there! I made a mistake of not going up to pheonix for the weekend while on my trip. But still, its good to see that you stayed after graduation, it seems alot of UoA grads move on from Tucson.

Thanks for the info, its much needed!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
(then again, I pretty much like alot of places with palm trees.. something about them).
Actually, if you like palm trees you won't see all that many in Tucson and the ones that are here are disappearing fast. Palm trees are tropical and require irrigation in the desert. Pima County's strict water usage laws (thankfully) discourage non-native landscaping.

Phoenix has a lot more palm trees since that city was built up before people had much regard for environmental concerns. Today, even though Maricopa County is much more populated, their water usage restrictions are not as sophisticated as Pima's. The newer suburban areas of Phoenix are likely to have more of an emphasis on natural desert landscaping, so the trees you see are most likely to be some variety of mesquite. The palm trees are found in the older neighborhoods where people also spend a ton of money irrigating grass.

Outside of Florida and California, where palms are more natural, I think the most palm trees per square mile would be found in Las Vegas (where living within the bounds of nature and reality are often not a priority. )

Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 20,570 times
Default Tucson is a very safe city

Tucson has a lot of property crime in the central area but very little violent crime. the homicides occur mostly on the south side of town in the drug and gang areas. even those are mild compared to big cities like LA or Chicago.

Tucson is a GREAT place for college age people. 4th ave district, downtown and UA area are the places where the vibrant music and arts scene is happening. We have a very easy layed back lifestyle here, and Tucsonan's are generally very accepting of all kinds of people. We are NOT like Phoenix, we are much more liberal. You would probably love it here. I did when I was 20 and went to the UA.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM

17 posts, read 42,793 times
I love Tucson. Around the university, and the downtown area around 4th Ave, there is a young vibe. I love the Barrio area, low rents, close to downtown, artists studios, etc. Walk, bus or bike to eateries, bars, small shops. Also, the Sam Hughes historical area has incredible older homes and restaurants nearby. You can rent a studio (casita) in the back of one of these great older homes and share their pool. I see ads all the time in the Arizona Daily Star. See tucsonnewcomer.com/features/historic for more info on historic areas around downtown. If you want palm trees or lush landscaping to enjoy, go to one of the many restaurants or lounges in town. Downtown in the historic El Presidio district there is El Charro and La Cocina, two of my favorite places to sit and chat or read a book.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSIREN View Post
Tucson has a lot of property crime in the central area but very little violent crime. the homicides occur mostly on the south side of town in the drug and gang areas. even those are mild compared to big cities like LA or Chicago.

Tucson is a GREAT place for college age people. 4th ave district, downtown and UA area are the places where the vibrant music and arts scene is happening. We have a very easy layed back lifestyle here, and Tucsonan's are generally very accepting of all kinds of people. We are NOT like Phoenix, we are much more liberal. You would probably love it here. I did when I was 20 and went to the UA.
lol... I'm actually a (R). But, whatever.. I get along w/ everyone. I was surprised to see alot of art studios over there, wasn't expecting it. Laid back is all me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson