Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 26,328 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Tucson area, and I know it's hot but I also know that one of the best things about AZ is that temps differ greatly due to the difference in elevation. My dad just moved to Green Valley so I'm looking to move around this area but I'm wondering if there are any counties near Green Valley/Tucson that has a slightly higher elevation than Tucson. I'm looking for slighly cooler temps in a nice area. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:37 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,069 times
Sierra Vista is about the closest you will find. Benson is a little closer but not much there.
The temps in SV are some 10° or more cooler than Tucson and it's quite a bit greener in SV.
I lived there for a few years myself.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 42,175 times
Green Valley is a fair bit cooler than Tucson as well due to its elevation.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,069 times
Sierra Vista is at 4600', much cooler. I was at 5100' when I lived there in the county 10 miles south of town at the base of the mountains.
Either place you are going to have lots of illegals coming through.
I had to run them off my property frequently and they did try to take an old car we had several times.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Oracle, which is north of Tucson. Pretty area, but there's not much there.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
We have land out at J-6, 40 minutes SE of downtown Tucson (10 minutes west of Benson, just off I-10 (ie right at the Pima/Cochise county line)). It would be a bit less than 1 hour from there to Green Valley.

Because we are atop the gentle ridge that runs between the Rincons & the Whetstones, we're about 700 feet higher than Benson - which puts us at 4,200 feet (similiar elevation to Sierra Vista) and thus have the same cooler climate as SV. Since there was a wunderground.com personal weather station (now no longer collecting but still with historical readings online) not far from our lot I was able to collect 5 years worth of weather station readings. We average 3 days/year where it gets (just) above 100.

Here are our average highs/lows from that station:

Ave High/Ave Low
Jan 60/38
Feb 64/40
Mar 68/44
Apr 77/50
May 84/59
June 93/68
July 91/71
Aug 86/68
Sep 85/63
Oct 78/57
Nov 69/51
Dec 60/37

Ken

PS - Here is a link to that weather station. Give it a few minutes to load as this particular link will display all 5 years worth of available readings (ie daily highs/lows/wind/humidity etc, etc, etc:

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...0&yearend=2009

Note that you can "drill down" to look at detailed readings for any particular day (every 11 minutes).
Note too that the main page shows a high over that time of 149. That is a glitch in the data. When you drill down to actually look at the data, the warmest day over those 5 years is actually 102.

Last edited by LordBalfor; 12-23-2010 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
this is all good advice....keep in mind that distances are great out here, so be ready for some driving....

if you come from a humid climate, make sure you're also ready for the dry air out here....it usually cools very quickly at night and warms quickly in the morning....big temp difference between sunny areas and shady areas.....and, in July and August, we have our summer rainy period (called monsoon by some) in which it gets very humid (for us!) and can be uncomfortable, even at night, with little temp drop at night...your AC will drone on almost all the time

Old 12-25-2010, 06:08 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbertschy View Post
I'm considering moving to the Tucson area, and I know it's hot but I also know that one of the best things about AZ is that temps differ greatly due to the difference in elevation. My dad just moved to Green Valley so I'm looking to move around this area but I'm wondering if there are any counties near Green Valley/Tucson that has a slightly higher elevation than Tucson. I'm looking for slighly cooler temps in a nice area. Thanks,

I second the idea of Sierra Vista. It isn't really 10 degrees cooler than Tucson, though...at least not on most days.

The nice thiing is the biggest temperature differences between the 2 cities are in the summer, while the differencess are smaller in winter.

Sierra Vista is a little greener, too. It's more "semi-arid" whereas Tucson fits sqarely into the "desert" category.

Here are the temperature averages for SV:

SIERRA VISTA, ARIZONA - Climate Summary

Here are the averages for Tucson:

TUCSON WSO AP, ARIZONA - Climate Summary

The problem with SV is that it's still pretty small (around 43,000 people). But it's the largest town nearby that's a half decent place to live.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 AM

444 posts, read 1,351,589 times
Sierra Vista has a vastly different culture from that of Tucson due to Fort Huachuca and the heavy Border Patrol presence so, if you like Tucson, you may not like it there and should probably spend some time there before choosing it as a place to live. They've had some crime issues in the past few years also. Not illegals, just idiots.
It's not quite as affordable as it once was, but there's also Sonoita. Less than an hour from Tucson, beautiful, cooler in the summer and there's a back road through the mountains that, if you have a good car, will you get to Green Valley in less than an hour. Tiny town though.
Nogales also gets quite a bit cooler than Tucson but, then again, it's Nogales. Rio Rico is a good alternative to that and there are people who do the Rio Rico -> Tucson commute. That'll wear down your car though and run up your gas expenses.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
No mention of wind speed, as if it's not a factor in your comfort/discomfort?

The temperature, itself, is always meaningless unless you tack on humidity levels and windspeed.

This is one factor I stupidly overlooked moving to Las Vegas, is that blasted wind factor.

How's Tucson for wind? How does it compare to Las Vegas?

Even if it gets down to 60 degrees here at night, I always carry a jacket & stocking cap along, just in case that blasted wind kicks up and I find myself freezing to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson